Dolmar 6100 vs ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardly any notisable savings per year, when you consider the expected life-time of the saws - a total non-issue! :buttkick::givebeer::sucks:

Anyway, if you get the Dolmar or the Stihl in that class, at the same time you de-select exellent handling/nimbleness and responsiveness - basically removing the fun from the use of the saw.
So...you are asserting with completely no proof that Husqy saws are more long lived than the others... And as usual claiming that all other saw brands have terrible handling even though YOU HAVE NEVER USED THEM.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be smiling ear to ear.

So...you are asserting with completely no proof that Husqy saws are more long lived than the others... And as usual claiming that all other saw brands have terrible handling even though YOU HAVE NEVER USED THEM.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be smiling ear to ear.

No, he's saying over a 10-15 service life the savings are less than $20/yr. which if you want to do accounting like that I might as well buy a $30k truck instead of a $24k truck. I could see this being a argument if you were depreciating equipment for a farm through taxes; or via write off for a business.

interesting 9 page read anguishing over 130 bux he he its pretty simple though Usa bought up stihl Im a German Male I wouldn't buy Mercedes made in Alabama either (where my home is now) look whats happened to some other companies that usa has bought up .. Andreas's name will be on it when I buy it . That simple for myself .. Your American do the right thing I guess Buy American even if it aint theirs originally .. few brownie points there no?

Nice thread. Even though I am a little late to the party, I read this over a few times before I went and purchased my 60cc category chainsaw. I discovered or already knew that Husqvarna, Jonsered, Stihl, Dolmar and Echo are all pretty good chain saws. They all make similar power and are of similar weight, except for the Echo. They don't publish horsepower ratings because some company was sued over misleading horsepower claims. Consequently they don't publish power ratings on their engines. I was annoyed enough with this to cross Echo off the list, even though they have a pretty big dealer close to my house. Speaking of dealers, I discounted their importance due to some comments I read regarding parts stocking at many of these dealers vs ordering online. In addition I have never had either of my Stihls to the dealer for repair work anyway. I tried once to have my 020T repaired but the Stihl dealer's solution to my problem was to buy a brand new chainsaw. He wouldn't even look at my saw! This shows the importance of some dealers . . . So, like many things, it came to a question of price, the one quality we can all quantify easily and accurately. The MS 362 and the 562xp were in the $700 range; both excellent, expensive saws. I looked at the MS 391 for $600 but all that plastic left me very cold. It just didn't feel right. Moreover I have read from a few sources that the 391 is difficult to rebuild or repair, suggesting that it isn't designed for this, suggesting that it is a throw away saw. I didn't want to plunk down 6 bills on a saw that I can't repair. So I bought the Dolmar PS6100 for $535 brand new. It works very well. I bought it from a dealer that sells both Jonsered and Dolmar. He had all the models on the shelf and had demo-Dolmars that I could try. Both guys had been operating and selling chain saws their whole adult life. They were great. I learned another thing: Urban and suburban chain saw dealers generally aren't very good. If you want a good chain saw dealer with knowledgeable people working there, nice inventory of parts and saws, go to a rural dealer. Unlike urban/suburban dealers, rural dealers know what they are doing.

Nice thread. Even though I am a little late to the party, I read this over a few times before I went and purchased my 60cc category chainsaw. I discovered or already knew that Husqvarna, Jonsered, Stihl, Dolmar and Echo are all pretty good chain saws. They all make similar power and are of similar weight, except for the Echo. They don't publish horsepower ratings because some company was sued over misleading horsepower claims. Consequently they don't publish power ratings on their engines. I was annoyed enough with this to cross Echo off the list, even though they have a pretty big dealer close to my house. Speaking of dealers, I discounted their importance due to some comments I read regarding parts stocking at many of these dealers vs ordering online. In addition I have never had either of my Stihls to the dealer for repair work anyway. I tried once to have my 020T repaired but the Stihl dealer's solution to my problem was to buy a brand new chainsaw. He wouldn't even look at my saw! This shows the importance of some dealers . . . So, like many things, it came to a question of price, the one quality we can all quantify easily and accurately. The MS 362 and the 562xp were in the $700 range; both excellent, expensive saws. I looked at the MS 391 for $600 but all that plastic left me very cold. It just didn't feel right. Moreover I have read from a few sources that the 391 is difficult to rebuild or repair, suggesting that it isn't designed for this, suggesting that it is a throw away saw. I didn't want to plunk down 6 bills on a saw that I can't repair. So I bought the Dolmar PS6100 for $535 brand new. It works very well. I bought it from a dealer that sells both Jonsered and Dolmar. He had all the models on the shelf and had demo-Dolmars that I could try. Both guys had been operating and selling chain saws their whole adult life. They were great. I learned another thing: Urban and suburban chain saw dealers generally aren't very good. If you want a good chain saw dealer with knowledgeable people working there, nice inventory of parts and saws, go to a rural dealer. Unlike urban/suburban dealers, rural dealers know what they are doing.

I would think since the lawyers got involved they must be somewhat accurate now Steve. Or at least they are all consistent in their inflation, thanks to the lawyers. I guess I wanted as much information as I could get before I bought. I couldn't get a sufficient amount of information on the Echo so I crossed it off my list.

I like the sounds of that guy doing your work. :bowdown:
Heck I have had guys bring beer to my liking and we crack them open while talking and I work on their saws. Heck time or 2 even alittle shine showed up with saws to work on. Got to love it. :rock:

Been known to do a redneck fixes on some saws to get them right back out cutting and did chains while they were waiting. :chop:

Good thing your not my neighbor!

I would think since the lawyers got involved they must be somewhat accurate now Steve. Or at least they are all consistent in their inflation, thanks to the lawyers. I guess I wanted as much information as I could get before I bought. I couldn't get a sufficient amount of information on the Echo so I crossed it off my list.

The MS290 is rated at 3.8hp yet my 40cc Echo cut just about as fast. That MS290 would be lucky to have 3.2 honest HP. Steve

I wonder if this would fit better than the Bailey's version? I have a recently acquired 9010 that I'd like to strap my old 36" Stihl bar on to avoid buying a new 36" Husky/Dolmar mount bar... My 6401 is also very smooth and torquey and would likely give a 362, 562 or otherwise a run for it's money with a 20-24" bar. Not nearly as fast limbing, but a lot more torque. I did incidently fondle a 6100 at a local dealer earlier today... He was wanting $549+tax... If I can't find the receipt for my 562 to prove my purchase and thus get it looked at or send it to Randy, it may get traded in on the 6100. Is it as sexy? No. Does it feel good? Yes. I think it would do quite well in the Hedge I cut. Then again if my 562 goes to Randy, it might go in for the full-monty... Time will tell.

I have some specific cnc 9010 9.5mm to 12mm Stihl adapters. Mike made a custom run just for me. PM me if you need one.

It's not name recognition, it's all about dealer support. Where I live Stihl dealers are everywhere. No Dolmar anywhere.

If you need dealer support when buying a new saw there is something wrong going on with their products... Cough cough stihl...

I say that 1/2 joking but not at the same time. Stihl has pulled more new models back off the self than any other company and has proven themselves behind the tech curve time and time again. Not bagging on them just saying what I see... I've rebuilt the better part of 350 farmboss's in the last 6 years and this is a hobby for me. I got my tree service to buy a 7900 with 28" and 32" stihl bars (adapter). They are in year 4 with it and it has yet to need a major repair... Carb adjust and av spring or two is all. So I guess my point is buy a Toyota up front and you don't need "dealer support"... Parts can be bought online for any saw brand now... No saw that is sold new, even for professional use should need overhaul/rebuild/ or major repair for 5-6 years if maintained properly. Just 2 cents.

If you need dealer support when buying a new saw there is something wrong going on with their products... Cough cough stihl...
So I guess my point is buy a Toyota up front and you don't need "dealer support"... Parts can be bought online for any saw brand now... No saw that is sold new, even for professional use should need overhaul/rebuild/ or major repair for 5-6 years if maintained properly. Just 2 cents.

My thoughts exactly!

If you want to be on the safe side you should buy a solid product like Dolmar. You shouldn't buy a saw brand that has service points at every road crossing and spends all its money on advertising.

Wolter

Latest posts

Back