Dolmar 6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technologies are reasonably mature. if you're getting a 60 c_c saw a smaller case it's lighter but it carries less fuel and less oil.

Dolmar do have a working prototype 4 stroke chainsaw in the lab, but it would cost too much at market right now is the story. ....

Right now? Are you referring to the one they made a decade or so ago?

That one suffered severely in the power to weight department - so it was no surprice that they chose to not market it! :popcorn:

I disagree. The 5105 is an awesome 18", capable 20". But you jump 51 to 64cc and to a saw that is a died in the wool 24". You don't have the gap of a super strong 20, capable to 24" that is more nimble than the 64cc. For example, you have the 562xp and the 365.

Honestly who is plugging every 2-4 inches of bar size??? If I'm going cutting I'll take my little ported Makita 401 w/ 12in bar, and my 7901 with 28in bar (maybe a 20 depending on the cut area). If those two saws and 2/3 bars can't take care of the average wood cutter you got something wrong in your noggin! I usually don't even pull the 50cc saw out anymore! It's just one more saw in the way; unless I have a buddy cutting with me.

562xp is about the same case... I would toss a 24in bar on it and use my makita 401.

I'm not saying you need a 5105, 6100 and 6400 in 18, 20 and 24" to have saws for the job. I run a 420 16" then next is the 6400 with a 20 or 28"...tho I have 7300 and 7900 using the same bars cos...well...I could have them so I got them! But I am saying that in the 'saw size hierarchy' that manufacturers use, Dolmar has had a gap in that hole, aka a Stihl 362 equivalent.

Personally I call the 6400 a 24" saw, all day every day, same as the Jonsered 2165. Its just the 64cc=24" thing in my head. Yes, it's awesome with a 20, obviously, but I think it's on the power heavy side for what is needed to run that size. But I think the 6100 is a different and needed animal in the line. The 6400 is, to me, big felling and big bucking (20"+.) 5105 is small to medium. The 6100 gives you the saw that can do large felling and bucking but still has the smaller, lighter platform for delimbing- I've delimbed many a tree with my 6400 and the forearms do protest! :laugh: Either way, they are all GREAT saws...and the 6100 looks like it will only add to that.

Right now? Are you referring to the one they made a decade or so ago?

That one suffered severely in the power to weight department - so it was no surprice that they chose to not market it! :popcorn:

Don't you say that about every saw that isn't a Husky XP? ;)

And it was a newer rig from what I was told.

I'm looking for a saw for 20" bar.Complement the 420 and take some of the load off the semi retired Alpina 700(which will get upgraded to a 24 or 28 inch bar).The 6100 looks like that saw.After buying the 420 I pretty much quit the idea of buying a 50cc saw.In fact I have a old 55cc Remington that I bought used and have NEVER used because I always grabbed the next size up or down.

Honestly who is plugging every 2-4 inches of bar size??? If I'm going cutting I'll take my little ported Makita 401 w/ 12in bar, and my 7901 with 28in bar (maybe a 20 depending on the cut area). If those two saws and 2/3 bars can't take care of the average wood cutter you got something wrong in your noggin! I usually don't even pull the 50cc saw out anymore! It's just one more saw in the way; unless I have a buddy cutting with me.

562xp is about the same case... I would toss a 24in bar on it and use my makita 401.

I agree the only reason I take more than 2 saws is because I can other wise 2 is al a guy needs.

I looked on the Dolmar sight and couldn't the bore and stroke specs for the 6100 vs the 6400.Would anyone know?

I run a 420 16" then next is the 6400...

I'm looking for a saw for 20" bar to complement the 420 and take some of the load off the semi retired Alpina 700. After buying the 420 I pretty much quit the idea of buying a 50cc saw.

Yea, I think of a strong 50cc if I am going in the woods with one saw. Otherwise the 401 and 7901 are with me. I did run a nicely ported 420 that belongs to Sarah and it was really nice, but... yea here comes the hater in me... The 420/421 is almost in that strong 50cc one saw category for me. It's a great saw but at 10.6-10.8 lbs it's to heavy to be the "lite limber" if ya'll smell what I'm steppin' in. The dolmar/makita 401 is 8.8 lbs and while not as strong as some 40cc saws it's super light. The only 40cc saw that's lighter and has the same or more power that I know of is the Redmax 3800/4000.

2 mm difference in stroke?So where does the difference in displacement come from?Pin placement,piston height above pin?It was my understanding that the 6400 makes it's power from a long stroke and a narrow bore.I'm befuddled.Now the 6100 makes .2 less HP,I know HP is to thunder(just the noise) as lightning is to torque(does the work).I'm missing something for these two to be so close yet so different.

2 mm difference in stroke?So where does the difference in displacement come from?Pin placement,piston height above pin?It was my understanding that the 6400 makes it's power from a long stroke and a narrow bore.I'm befuddled.Now the 6100 makes .2 less HP,I know HP is to thunder(just the noise) as lightning is to torque(does the work).I'm missing something for these two to be so close yet so different.

3 cc difference is from the 2mm stroke difference...
Pie x radius squared x 2 divided by 1000 per cc

There you have it...

What makes the work is a product of torque and rpm - and that product is measured in kW or hp.

3 cc difference is from the 2mm stroke difference...
Pie x radius squared x 2 divided by 1000 per cc

There you have it...

"The right side of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square of the remaining two sides"-Scarecrow

The stroke is determined by the crankshaft. Even if you were to change connecting rod length, or move the piston up or down in relation to the wrist pin, the stroke would remain the same. I am a big fan of long stroke engines because of their higher torque output. A long stroke gives an engine more leverage. Think of the crankshaft journal where the connecting rod attaches to the crankshaft as a lever. Now the longer distance between the center of the crankshaft and the journal, the easier it will be to turn the crankshaft as the piston is coming down on its power stroke. That's why you sometimes put an extension on a wrench or any other tool for loosening or tightening, to give yourself leverage, so its easier to turn. Was hoping the 6100 would have a longer stroke, as I see a long stroke desirable in an engine.

Longer stroke can be good and bad. The longer the stroke the higher the piston velocity at a given rpm. The higher the velocity, the higher the inertia forces at a given rpm. This is why pistons are made as lightweight as possible. I too like torque, but saws need rpm's more than pure grunt, as I'm sure most of you are well aware of. Engineers have to find that fine balance, based on the application of the engine. When it comes to Dolmar saw, I find them to have the most torque overall, than any other saw manufacture. With that said it's going to be hard for dolmar to beat the 362 and 562, but they've done it before.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back