dolmar 7310 or 372xp husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I have the older model, the 7300 and it's been a fine saw. Lots of power, all of 0.4hp less than its big 79cc brother which according to my chainsaw shop guy is a good thing, less of a hotrod equals longer lasting as far as he's concerned. All I can say is that I liked it enough to buy another one.

The 7310 this is about isn't the 7300 though (and the 7910 isn't the 7900). The difference in power specs are large enough that they should be noticeable.
Also, the weight specs are up quite a bit - but it is hard to judge, as the 7900/7300 weight specs seemed to be a "moving target". I still don't know the truth, 14 years after the models were introduced....

That said, the weight of the 372xp also has varied a bit, but in this case it can be explained quite simply by which options is or isn't present on the saw in question.
The current X-torq version is both heavier and stronger than the classic one. Trigger response and rpm is a bit down, as I understand it.

With the current 372xp X-torq vs. the PS-7310, I believe the choice mainly is a matter of taste (and dealer support if relevant), the specs are very close. Both models suffer a bit from the ways they have been made compliant with EPA regulations.

What a stupid thing to say...

First off any brand mentioned are high quality products, so I would FIRST find out why your low hour saw died! You ruled out fuel so it seems more to me that something else is going on (f.e. incorrect carb settings, etc.).

Absolutely!

If there was a basic design flaw, it would have been well known long ago!

I got the 372 xp like the balance ,the only thing is when i shut it off for a short time it will not start right up , it's like it vapor locks ? and for the dolmar 7900 its not running again i took it to the shop and they can not find what's wrong with it, they gave up ,on it told me to come and get it and let some else try, they called a dolmar tec they could not help , not sure what to do with it.

I got the 372 xp like the balance ,the only thing is when i shut it off for a short time it will not start right up , it's like it vapor locks ? and for the dolmar 7900 its not running again i took it to the shop and they can not find what's wrong with it, they gave up ,on it told me to come and get it and let some else try, they called a dolmar tec they could not help , not sure what to do with it.
You should do well with the 372. In regards to the vapor locking, is that happening on very hot days or anytime?

In regards to the 7900, yes you need to find a different shop if they can't figure out the problem!!!

I have this issue with my PS-7900, if shut down directly after numerous bucking cuts during the summer she will not start back up after sitting 3-5 minutes.
She is not flooded, I actually checked numerous times - the engine literally doesn't get fuel to restart!

Half throttle lock and 10-15 pulls on the rope are required to get a sound out of her, right before sounding off white smoke will come out the muffler port as the starter rope is being pulled.
Once she sounds of one needs to keep pulling and at one point she'll start sputtering unwillingly and smoking like a coal train - at this point one has to blib the throttle to prevent both flooding and dying of the engine.

Now that I know that my PS-7900 behaves like this I leave her to run idle on the ground for a while directly after running her hard.
If shutting her off was caused by maintenance reasons, I try to remember to restart her 2-3 times every 1-2 minutes.
Restarting and bliping the engine during the cool off period seems to counteract the vapor lock phenomenon quite successfully.
Strictly one pull is required to get her to pop during the cool off period.

My PS-7900 does NOT behave like this during the winter, nor have I noticed said behavior on cold rainy spring and autumn days.

My PS-6400 is not infected by this phenomenon!

NOTE:
My PS-7900 is showing this same behavior whenever I run the fuel tank bone dry, once she sucked fumes into the carb she's unable to prime fuel after refueling.

Maybe a carb kit is in order, although she's running strong like a steam engine! o_O

Even though the PS-7900 occasionally makes me look like an uneducated idiot (she seems to vapor lock whenever there is audience :lol: ) she is still my second most favorite saw right after my PS-6400! :)

I ran the piss out of my 372 last weekend (4 tanks) cleaning up my back 40 in 100* heat and I always let my saws idle a minimum of 30 seconds prior to killing them or they are a biatch to restart. But I am also at 5k asl. In that kind of heat air is real thin up here. 1 pull starts if I wait 30 seconds to kill it.....if I don't wait I look like a monkey trying to pork a football. Even my cs-590 could be hard to restart in the summer if I didn't let it cool off and that was the easiest starting saw I've ever used.

I may have found the problem with the 7900, the wire is coming off plug ,it have a sharp bend comes off easy , took plyers to it maybe that will take care of it.

Back