dolmar ps-420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the ps420 is available over here (Austria). Just saw it a week ago.

7sleeper

Spring assistance to break the compression resistor
and the
Touch&Stop, one lever service
of the 420

And the inboard clutch, and the dual bolt bar system, and the metal engine housing, and the adhustable oiler, amung other things. :chainsaw:

Ba ha ha ha ha!

Dolmar... man, the 420 was going to be available in February, then March... oh, NOW ITS SUMMER?!?!?!?! Then in summer it will be, "Oh, it will not be available until WINTER!"

I give up on Dolmar. No dealers, new saws not available... no hope.

And that's different from the debut of the 441 how?

Big difference here is that there is a Stihl dealer 5 miles from this house (out here in the boonies, even) had a 441 in stock as soon as they were out. There are also 5 other Stihl dealers within an hour of me. I was not waiting on a 441 to come out either. I have a friend with a 441 that he will le me have for $400, a R model with a 32 inch Oregon bar on it. I dunno about them though... :monkey:

No, CAD will not control me! No! Back in your corner! I do not NEED a 441. No, I really don't need it. I mean, I am leaving the land of the woods to return to suburbia. I do not need the 441... NO! NO! NO! Bad CAD! Baaaad CAD! :bang: :bang: :bang:

used the 401 for first time today, was first time used a saw in yrs. but ummmm, it's nice. had now for few days and was itching to use, so was good to finally get to put to use and get a feel. first saw owned and only other ones used were rental jobs ( and they were ok saws, got it done) or friends and other, from what remember thinking it's pretty much night and day difference., (blows them away), and so far so good , and thanks for help

Last edited:
The 401 is a nice saw... Do yourself a favor and open up the muffler a little bit and throw the factory safety chain away and buy a real 3/8 low profile chisel chain from Baileys. That is what I just did to my new 401 and it is cutting a whole lot better.

The 401 is a nice saw... Do yourself a favor and open up the muffler a little bit and throw the factory safety chain away and buy a real 3/8 low profile chisel chain from Baileys. That is what I just did to my new 401 and it is cutting a whole lot better.

rm17742 appreciate that, when got was looking for them but couldn't find, went with the other but if those chains do better for me than this one that came with it , saws gonna be insane. btw opening up the muffler, first i heard of that or is that spark screen, don't know that, will look around and see what that is.

Last edited:
Opening up the muffler was pretty simple. Basically you remove the two torx bolts holding the muffler screen and muffler on and drill out the indented portion in the center of the muffler. It is pretty much inline with the port opening. Don't get too carried away, but I opened up the entire oval shaped dimple. You will understand what I am saying once you take it off. Make sure you get all of the loose chards of metal out and clean up the opening very well. Good luck!

Ba ha ha ha ha!

Dolmar... man, the 420 was going to be available in February, then March... oh, NOW ITS SUMMER?!?!?!?! Then in summer it will be, "Oh, it will not be available until WINTER!"

I give up on Dolmar. No dealers, new saws not available... no hope. Maybe I will look at the new small Redmax saws. Or get a Homelite at HD. Or something... but evidently I will never own a Dolmar chainsaw (and I will forget about being a dealer for them).

New models, from any company, are usually not late in and of themselves. What we always have to deal with is overly optomistic BS from sales guys who want to keep the "buzz" going by telling us the new saw is just around the corner.

New models, from any company, are usually not late in and of themselves. What we always have to deal with is overly optomistic BS from sales guys who want to keep the "buzz" going by telling us the new saw is just around the corner.

I believe that is right!

Btw, the NE575xp supposedly are availiable here now - with .4lbs less weight and 4.2kW/5.7hp, opposed to the 4.3/5.8 numbers in the US catalog.........

Yeah, and I think maybe the Dolmar distributors are trying to lower their inventory of 341's & 401's.

Yep, but imo the 420 is way too heavy to really replace the 401......:givebeer:

I'm flying to Norway this weekend and I'm taking your scale away from you, and tossing it in the North Sea. (unless there is enough cold beer that I forget why I'm there)

I just sold a 401, and I have one left. Looking at the specs, it appears the 420 gained a pound and .6 hP over the 401. Yes, it gained more weight than power, as they all seem to do anymore. But running them side by side is a truer way to compare them. The new saw just might be a better saw to run. It's not just weight but how it's balanced, handle comfort, AV smoothness. Plus the 341/401's always sounded like Poulans to me, so if the new 420 sounds more like it's big brother 5100, then it will have a much more premium feel to it.

I'm flying to Norway this weekend and I'm taking your scale away from you, and tossing it in the North Sea. (unless there is enough cold beer that I forget why I'm there)

I just sold a 401, and I have one left. Looking at the specs, it appears the 420 gained a pound and .6 hP over the 401. Yes, it gained more weight than power, as they all seem to do anymore. But running them side by side is a truer way to compare them. The new saw just might be a better saw to run. It's not just weight but how it's balanced, handle comfort, AV smoothness. Plus the 341/401's always sounded like Poulans to me, so if the new 420 sounds more like it's big brother 5100, then it will have a much more premium feel to it.

+1
can't rep you but good post! Plus the new ones are nicer looking. :D

...Plus the 341/401's always sounded like Poulans to me, so if the new 420 sounds more like it's big brother 5100, then it will have a much more premium feel to it.

Oh Noooooo.

I've never heard a Pull-on (that started & ran) but I don't think I'll enjoy listening to the 401 on full-hoot as much anymore.

Thanks man, way to be a buzzkill.

edit: Hmmm :idea: may be a great excuse to whack a hole in the muffler with a pickaxe

Last edited:

That is funny.

Truth be told, SawTroll is so reliable about posting the specs that I come to expect it. I like it for the saws that I don't get to see in person.

Maybe on a saw that small, .6hp is worth the 1lb. Is the % increase better and where is the lb. in terms of fore/aft balance?

That is funny.

Truth be told, SawTroll is so reliable about posting the specs that I come to expect it. I like it for the saws that I don't get to see in person.

Maybe on a saw that small, .6hp is worth the 1lb. Is the % increase better and where is the lb. in terms of fore/aft balance?

Yeah, I rely on his specs all the time, but I'm not going to admit it to him.:cheers: :cheers:

It seems that the power to weight ratio is higher for the 420 (.30) than the 401 (.26) by about 15%. The 350 at .24 is less impressive. BTW the MS361 is about .36 and the PS5100 is .34 for reference sake.

After searching way too many threads, I was going to replace my old echo 302s with a Makita 401 to my door for $245. Do you guys think it would be worth waiting for the Dolmar 420?

Well, all depends on when the new baby Dollies get here. I am stihl waiting... and waiting... and waiting... tap tap tap. They have been available in Germany for a long time now. Friend of mine in Germany loves his new 420. Well, now its a used 420 now. He has had it for about 6 months. :cry:

I was tempted with a 401, but there are too many drawbacks; small oil and gas ports, outboard clutch, one nut bar, odd-ball style bar tightener, plastic case, its soon to be obsolete, hard to get locally (though available online for pretty cheap). Lots of praise for the 401/410 though. Good little saw.

The 350/420 have a lot of nice new stuff that the 401 does not have though. Easier spring-loaded starting, large oil and gas fill holes, dual bar nuts and Stihl-style chain adjusters, adjustable oilers, better air filter system, magnesium (METAL!!!!) side and lower engine cases, etc. They also keep some of the better features, like a decomp button (yah, even on a small saw the starting cord can break your wrist) and primer.

Of course, here in the US of A, they are still mythical chainsaws that legends are made of. Hear about them, see a lot about them, read a lot about them, people have them in Europe, but... nothing here stateside... tap tap tap.... and like, no Dolmar dealers within 100 miles of me... :cry: I mean, will they ever get here? Or will I be taking a dirt nap after I turn 90 before they become available in the US!?!?! That's 40 more years for Dolmar to get their shyte together. May not be enough time, from the looks of it though. :chainsaw:

Well, all depends on when the new baby Dollies get here. I am stihl waiting... and waiting... and waiting... tap tap tap. They have been available in Germany for a long time now. Friend of mine in Germany loves his new 420. Well, now its a used 420 now. He has had it for about 6 months. :cry:

I was tempted with a 401, but there are too many drawbacks; small oil and gas ports, outboard clutch, one nut bar, odd-ball style bar tightener, plastic case, its soon to be obsolete, hard to get locally (though available online for pretty cheap). Lots of praise for the 401/410 though. Good little saw.

The 350/420 have a lot of nice new stuff that the 401 does not have though. Easier spring-loaded starting, large oil and gas fill holes, dual bar nuts and Stihl-style chain adjusters, adjustable oilers, better air filter system, magnesium (METAL!!!!) side and lower engine cases, etc. They also keep some of the better features, like a decomp button (yah, even on a small saw the starting cord can break your wrist) and primer.

Of course, here in the US of A, they are still mythical chainsaws that legends are made of. Hear about them, see a lot about them, read a lot about them, people have them in Europe, but... nothing here stateside... tap tap tap.... and like, no Dolmar dealers within 100 miles of me... :cry: I mean, will they ever get here? Or will I be taking a dirt nap after I turn 90 before they become available in the US!?!?! That's 40 more years for Dolmar to get their shyte together. May not be enough time, from the looks of it though. :chainsaw:

The PS-401 / PS341 have always had Magnesium Cases. The PS-350 & PS-420 will not have Decompression Valves.

It will be worth the wait when they get here and I've been waiting longer than you have!

Steve

Back