dolmar ps-420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No decomp valves? Man, they keep changing the stats on those saws. No cats, then cats, decomps, then no decomps? I will have to amass the various specs that I have had on those new saws. Its 3 card monty... do they have spring mounts, or rubber? I thought I read before that they have springs, but the new blerb on them does not mention it.

I thought that the 401 had more plastic. Maybe I will have to re-think about buying one... :monkey:

Also, I have been waiting for a pro-style 35-40 cc saw for many many years now. My dream is a baby 361. Something under 10 pounds to trim and limb with, that does not numb out my hands, and takes a beating.

Last edited:
If the 420 is a better saw than my 401 it will have to be a "Slammin Mamma Jamma" For its size I think the 401 is ideal.
Of course the "spec spouters" hate people like me.....I like my 031 and it's considered a boat anchor with a chain now days.
Mike

That is funny.

Truth be told, SawTroll is so reliable about posting the specs that I come to expect it. I like it for the saws that I don't get to see in person.

Maybe on a saw that small, .6hp is worth the 1lb. Is the % increase better and where is the lb. in terms of fore/aft balance?

Problem is, that extra weight put it too close in weight to saws with seriously more power........

Will they have a cat muffler, or not?

They need to put out a 4200S with 3.4hp - to compare with the Husky 242xp......
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Also, I have been waiting for a pro-style 35-40 cc saw for many many years now. My dream is a baby 361. Something under 10 pounds to trim and limb with, that does not numb out my hands, and takes a beating.

MS200 or Husky 339xp, both are below 9 lbs, even with the rear handle.

Last edited:
.... After searching way too many threads, I was going to replace my old echo 302s with a Makita 401 to my door for $245. Do you guys think it would be worth waiting for the Dolmar 420?

What have kept me away from the 401 is the low max rpms, and the old design - I bought a 339xp, and is very satisfied with it.....:clap: :clap:

No decomp valves? Man, they keep changing the stats on those saws. No cats, then cats, decomps, then no decomps? I will have to amass the various specs that I have had on those new saws. Its 3 card monty... do they have spring mounts, or rubber? I thought I read before that they have springs, but the new blerb on them does not mention it.

I thought that the 401 had more plastic. Maybe I will have to re-think about buying one... :monkey:

Where did you hear/read about the deco valves? The only change is the Cat will be standard on all the saws in US & Canada. Originally the saws were going to have a stock muffler on the first batch.

Steve

Problem is, that extra weight put it too close in weight to saws with seriously more power........

Will they have a cat muffler, or not?

They need to put out a 4200S with 3.4hp - to compare with the Husky 242xp......
:greenchainsaw:

They will have Cat's but I have the standard mufflers on order. Is the 242 still current production?

They will have Cat's but I have the standard mufflers on order. Is the 242 still current production?

You know it isn't - just putting things into perspective - and good work on stocking the no-cat mufflers for the 420!

:cheers:

...and deco valves sure isn't needed, not even on the 5100.....

Last edited:
Where did you hear/read about the deco valves? The only change is the Cat will be standard on all the saws in US & Canada. Originally the saws were going to have a stock muffler on the first batch.

Steve

There were several variations in the posts I read on these saws on the Dolmar site; some in the 'NEW products' sections, and some in the press releases, and some in the new standard catalog. Some information I got from friends in Germany, translated. There are people there that actually own these two new saws. Cost a lot more there though, and the Euro is so high right now, otherwise I would have long since bought one and had it shipped here. :chainsaw:

All the older information that was on the Dolmar site is no longer though. I will dig through some of the old press release stuff. The other item that varies the most in the information about these two saws that I have read is the weight. That seems to vary from just over 8 pounds to over 10 pounds. It seemed that they were going to be a lot lighter in the beginning.

New question: are they spring suspended? Or rubber mounted? I thojght I read somewhere that they were spring mounted, but I cannot find any information on that in the newer info released on the Dolmar site. :confused:

Take a look at this brochure for details on the saw. It's in German but you can look at the pictures!

Yes the saw has spring mounts.

Steve

Last edited:
Yah, I have seen that one, and where I originally saw the spring suspension. Thanks.

There are some interesting discrepancies. One issue (my Troll-like instinct) that I found on the Dolmar USA site is for weight: seems that they do not know their Kg to Pound conversion at Dolmar. The Dolmar US site says that the PS-320 is 4.6kg, or 9 lb. I figure 4.6 kg x 2.2 is 10.1+ lb. 1.1 pound is "missing". Big mistake there. They also list the PS-420 at 4.7 Kg, or 9.7 lb. By my calculation, that would really be 10.3+ lb. Smaller mistake, but still stretching it. I cannot believe that a German manufacturing company is that math challanged? Or is it US marketing?

I want a baby 8 to 9 pound saw, like the 401, but these fellows are going to be well over 10 pounds from the looks of it, especially with bars and chains and gas and oil. The German brochure lists both saws at the same weight, slightly different than the US list for the 420. I assume that the cat may weigh more... or maybe gravity varies bewteen Europe and the US? ;) Seems odd overall though.

Free advice.......

Maybe you can cancel the order.........

The cat plate is removable from the cat muffler....

A free tip to pass on to my competitor and the members

There are some interesting discrepancies. One issue (my Troll-like instinct) that I found on the Dolmar USA site is for weight: seems that they do not know their Kg to Pound conversion at Dolmar. The Dolmar US site says that the PS-320 is 4.6kg, or 9 lb. I figure 4.6 kg x 2.2 is 10.1+ lb. 1.1 pound is "missing". Big mistake there. They also list the PS-420 at 4.7 Kg, or 9.7 lb. By my calculation, that would really be 10.3+ lb. Smaller mistake, but still stretching it. I cannot believe that a German manufacturing company is that math challanged? Or is it US marketing? ...

You are right, Dolmar has a serious issue with their maths - 10lbs = 4.54kg.

Some times it enters the kW vs hp/bhp numbers as well.

The 420 is 4.7kg according to the KWF test report - that is 10.3lbs.

Last edited:
Must be the exchange rate between the Euro and the Yen then converted to the Pound
Can't wait to see when it gets the conversion to the Dollar

Here's a video comparing a PS-420 with .325 .050 and a PS-5000 with .325 .058 looks like they are both 16"?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0znys_Wpvs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0znys_Wpvs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back