Dolmar PS-5100 S on Order

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Twister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought I would try something different. Never owned one. They look like a well built saw and a local saw mill sells them so it should have good support if needed. Is there anyone else out there using one?

:greenchainsaw:

Thought I would try something different. Never owned one. They look like a well built saw and a local saw mill sells them so it should have good support if needed. Is there anyone else out there using one?

Yeah a lot of people use them--Do a search!

Lots of members use them - they are very popular here at the AS!

Personally, I prefere the Husky NE346xp in the 50cc class - but the Dolmar still is avery good saw.
:clap: :clap:

I've got one and it will cover you up in wood chips. I got mine in December of last year and it has been a good saw. Sometimes can be a little hard to start, but it is an excellent saw for the money. I gave 339.00 plus uncle Sam's part. I recently put a 20" bar on it. Husky small mount bar fits this saw. Brother in law calls it the "Butter saw" since it goes through oak like it was butter. I also use a Carlton chain and have had good luck with it. The only con is it likes to mark its spot on the floor! :mad:

I have the 5100 & it's a fine saw.

Mine came set up with 18" bar & 3/8" chain, which is about as much B&C as I think it'll ever see. If the wood is larger enough to need more it also "needs" my MS460 as well. It'll wear a 16"X3/8" B&C when the 18" bar is shot.

The 5100 is a much better value than the MS260 I have. Lower price, more hp & torque although it is heavier. I'd say the 5100 with the 18"&3/8" is at least a full pound heavier than my 260 with 16"bar & .325 chain.

For small limbing up to say 5" the 260 does not lose out to the 5100 as the weight difference makes the 260 quicker handling, but in wood of 7-14" the 5100 OWNS the 260. The bigger the wood the bigger the advantage the 5100 gives.

The 5100 can do a pretty good job with that bar/chain set up on trees up to 24". Thing is that in wood over 14" the 460 with 20" bar becomes worth it's greater weight for greater speed.

Last edited:
The 5100 is a much better value than the MS260 I have. Lower price, more hp & torque although it is heavier. I'd say the 5100 with the 18"&3/8" is at least a full pound heavier than my 260 with 16"bar & .325 chain. ....

It sure is!

The NE346xp is about midway between, in the weight department.

Thanks for the info keep it coming. I think I made the right decision. I have a Husky 455 rancher right now. Only problem I have with that is the chips don't get out fast enough. I wish they put the clutch in the other way around there would be more room for chips to get through. I also wanted to get something a bit more professional duty seeing I am going to cut a lot more wood now that I have a Central Boiler 5036 Outdoor Wood Boiler on the way.

:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Common advice getting a 5100 for the first time is that try taking the choke off after a few pulls when cold even when it doesn't pop.

Easy to flood the saw otherwise. Good little saw for the money.

Mine runs an 18 inch bar and it would not be quite as happy with anything longer.

I have a 5100 with the .325 16" bar. The combo works great for me and just screams on the little (up to 12") stuff. Any thing larger than that and the 372 comes out. Did you decide to go with the 3/8 chain or the .325?

I went with the 3/8" chain so both my saws will use the same chain. My dealer said most of his customers use the 3/8" chain also and seem to like it.

Lots of members use them - they are very popular here at the AS!

Personally, I prefere the Husky NE346xp in the 50cc class - but the Dolmar still is avery good saw.
:clap: :clap:

For a firewood saw I'd buy the 5100 over the 346........:cheers: :cheers: I have 3 with 20" 3/8 and 3 with the 18" 3/8 and there great saws.....

If I need a lite limbing saw its the ps401 or the MS180.......:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
For a firewood saw I'd buy the 5100 over the 346........:cheers: :cheers: I have 3 with 20" 3/8 and 3 with the 18" 3/8 and there great saws.....

You have 6 5100s?:jawdrop:

It is in the woods that I prefere the 346 - at the wood-pile there are no meaning-full difference.

It is in the woods that I prefere the 346 - at the wood-pile there are no meaning-full difference.

In the woods doing limbing??? ........The 401 and 180 are nice....When it comes to cutting 10" or above mine would be the 5100........

Cant wait till I get my 2153 some day .....It sure better be able to pull a 20" 3/8

Cant wait till I get my 2153 some day .....It sure better be able to pull a 20" 3/8

That is not a really good option on any of the saws in question I believe, unless it is for reach only.

Anyway, I would want a heavier powerhead for that bar, for better balance.

In my book a 20" bar on a 50cc saw is meaningless.......:cheers:

Last edited:
That is not a good option I believe, unless it is for reach only.

Anyway, I would want a heavier powerhead for that bar, for better balance.

In my book a 20" bar on a 50cc saw is meaningless.......:cheers:

I sure hope it will pull it........My 5100's pull a 20" real nice.....

In your book a 16" is way to much bar for a 372......hehe

Latest posts

Back