Dolmar PS352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look that way to me, they simply don't have the resources to stay at the front end of development.
1000 people and millions of dollars helps but is 1000 unimaginative people cant compare to one guy that thinks outside the box. this year husky may employ that guy and next year it could be dolly. Zenoah set the standard for strato engine tech....i imagine their product development budget was less than dolly. That is assuming i have the timeframe correct on strato patents and the buyouts...husky history isnt my strong suit

Zenoah set the standard for strato engine tech....i imagine their product development budget was less than dolly. That is assuming i have the timeframe correct on strato patents and the buyouts...husky history isnt my strong suit

I am not up on the buyout history either however I think Komatsu was the parent company of Zenoah. The cost to borrow money is low at this point in time/history. Probably any of the main players could spend whatever they wish on R+D.

Here is a video with an inboard clutch saw limbing. How can an out board do better?

You de value your credibility here. Think athlete cutting pegs in a pole to simulate limbing an evergreen tree like at timbersport events. (stihl trademarked term).

To me it seems the inboard clutch will allow the bar to be placed more parallel to the trunk than an outboard, and a wrap handle much more of a stand off device. I guess the athlete types do not press the clutch cover against the trunk.

I am not up on the buyout history either however I think Komatsu was the parent company of Zenoah. The cost to borrow money is low at this point in time/history. Probably any of the main players could spend whatever they wish on R+D.

Husky bought Zenoah from Komatsu about 2006.

You de value your credibility here. Think athlete cutting pegs in a pole to simulate limbing an evergreen tree like at timbersport events. (stihl trademarked term).

To me it seems the inboard clutch will allow the bar to be placed more parallel to the trunk than an outboard, and a wrap handle much more of a stand off device. I guess the athlete types do not press the clutch cover against the trunk.
Oh so in only one aspect only in evergreens it is better handling. This is why I was confused people usually put it as a blanket statement of how much better it is. Evergreens are a very small percentage of trees harvested here. I have only cut 6 in 20+years. And 5 where used as Christmas trees.

I realize Komatsu was the parent company of zenoah..... Makita is parent company of dolly. I'm not into company financials much so how integrated or separate the subsidiaries are I couldn't even venture a guess. Zenoah by itself was a small company probably similar in size to dolmar so I was just pointing out that innovations aren't necessarily dependant upon a massive company footing the bill

Engage venting......

Dolmar XX isn't as good as XX saw from XX brand, because they don't use outboard clutches...

I read this over and over again and it doesn't make any sense to me.

I had ONE saw featuring an outboard clutch - lets just say I'll pass on two XX saws from XX brand with an outboard clutch in favor of any inboard clutch chainsaw.
I'll choose an inboard clutch saw for maintenance reasons alone.

Also, an outboard clutch runs cooler?
Indeed it has a lot more heat dissipation capabilities, but one shouldn't run a saw with a slipping and smoking clutch in the first place.

As so many things regarding chainsaws in general I am convinced that inboard vs. outboard clutch is an overblown marketing "thing".

...... disengage venting.

The above are just MY thoughts, preferences and opinions with absolutely no brand bashing intended - each to his own.

Cheers

Any idea if they shared engineers, computer modeling staff, stuff like that?

I believe the main reason Husky bought Zenoah was some "strato" related patents - and they have of course shared the use of those.

The brands make some saw models for each other, but still have quite different ways to design, engineer and make saws - so I don't really think they share a lot. If they do, it doesn't really show on the products.

One always has to wonder, if the outboard clutch was so supperior, why hasn't the inboard clutch died long ago? Why is it that the pro Stihl line up belong to one of the best selling brand lines in the pro sales. All those profesional felling guys sure must be stupid for choosing inboard clutches.

But this discussion has been done here countless times with no results.

Unless maintenance just means changing chains and sprocket rims, you basically turned that point upside down - but as you said, each to his own.
Changing the chain and sprocket, cleaning the friction surface of the drum, oiling the needle bearing - nothing else need be done on my saws.

I know You are a hardcore outboard clutch fan!
You stick to Your preferences and I'll be happy with mine.
Cheers :cheers:

Same here, I also clean out the clutch area. I just use a compressor to blow out the clutch area and often enough some sawdust comes out. Never had a problem with a slipping clutch but I clean the saw anyhow with the compressor so "clutch cleaning" is included.

??? I've been around a couple of days by now but this? [emoji23]

Wolter
I don't see what You find so funny about my post! :nofunny:

If you don't occasionally wipe out the inner surface of Your saws clutch drum I honestly feel sorry for Your saws.

Yes, I actually take off the drum and wipe it clean with a clean dry cotton cloth!

Yet again a good example of "each to its own"!

I believe the main reason Husky bought Zenoah was some "strato" related patents - and they have of course shared the use of those.

The brands make some saw models for each other, but still have quite different ways to design, engineer and make saws - so I don't really think they share a lot. If they do, it doesn't really show on the products.
I agree that Strato patents were the main reason for the buyout. However take a look at the string trimmers and leaf blowers and you soon see a good deal more "sharing". Post buyout both brands have sold re-branded models as well as clearly sharing a parts bin for switch gear etc.

Changing the chain and sprocket, cleaning the friction surface of the drum, oiling the needle bearing - nothing else need be done on my saws.

I know You are a hardcore outboard clutch fan!
You stick to Your preferences and I'll be happy with mine.
Cheers :cheers:

With a fairly recent Husky outboard, you just knock the clutch off (no special tools or piston stop needed), and everything can be taken apart with the fingers for cleaning. It can't be simpler than that.

Latest posts

Back