Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
countryboypa31

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm looking into purchasing a dolmar for my ground saw, what are some positives and negatives? I've been running the 7900 at work, runs great. Like it better then the stihl 460 that we also have. Do they stand the test of time like stihl though? Looking at the 7900 and 5100s
Thanks for your help

JT78

ArboristSite Guru
I have a 7900 and it is a good saw with a longer bar it seems a little unbalanced it does better with a 24-28 bar. As far as how long will they run I havent owned mine long but I asked the same question before I bought mine and everbody that replied said that as long as you take care of them the will last. The only other problem I have heard of is the air filter clogging easily but I havent had that problem with mine. You cant go wrong with a 7900 it is a great saw strong too but it doesnt have the grunt that the 660 has.

countryboypa31

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
24-28 ok thanks, i think the one at work is a little shorter than that, maybe more like 18 but i could be wrong. In terms of the air filter i heard the same thing but am not to worried cause i do a daily check and clean of the air filter. Its easy and can make the saw last a lot longer.

Edge & Engine

Edge & Engine

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
I have a 7900 and it is a good saw with a longer bar it seems a little unbalanced it does better with a 24-28 bar. As far as how long will they run I havent owned mine long but I asked the same question before I bought mine and everbody that replied said that as long as you take care of them the will last. The only other problem I have heard of is the air filter clogging easily but I havent had that problem with mine. You cant go wrong with a 7900 it is a great saw strong too but it doesnt have the grunt that the 660 has.

Well the 660 is not really a comparison at 91.6cc's.

Edge & Engine

Edge & Engine

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
24-28 ok thanks, i think the one at work is a little shorter than that, maybe more like 18 but i could be wrong. In terms of the air filter i heard the same thing but am not to worried cause i do a daily check and clean of the air filter. Its easy and can make the saw last a lot longer.

Just don't get it with a bar longer than you're going to need.

JT78

ArboristSite Guru
Edge and engine is right I have a bigger bar for mine because I only use it for the bigger stuff I have a husky 359 I use for the smaller stuff. I was just being sarcastic about the 660 it is a larger class of saw. But a 7900 will outcut a stock 460.

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Cuttinscott or 166 has the new 07 updated air filter covers with the pre filter built in with more breathing area open too. $10 and they work great. Never had a chip lodged in the under pleats after buying it again.

Mitchell

Mitchell

ArboristSite Operative
dolmar thoughts

I run the 7900 with a 28" and a full wrap. I like the 28" bar but I used 28" bars as standard issue for over a decade. I like being able to rest the saw on my thigh not having to bend over to make ground cuts. I dont even bother bringing my 660 out anymore; I put a 36" on it for bigger round cutting when needed.

I also own 2 5100's [18" and 24"] and I think they are pound for pound the most impressive saws I have ever used. I do not have much small saw experience mind you. previously I owned nothing smaller then a 266.

WVhunter

WVhunter

ArboristSite Operative
I have the 7900 with a 20" and 24" bars and love it, I started to buy the Stihl 460 which is a great saw but after talking to everyone on here I bought the Dolmar. I don't think you can beat it for the money, best saw out there in that class, IMHO!!!!!!!
Tom

Wortown Mick

Wortown Mick

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you own a 7900 , you NEED to get the pleated air filter.
Having said that I myself need to. I cleaned the filter 2 days ago and the inside of the filter and boot connectining it to the carb was dirtier than the outside of the filter.
Disgustingly innefective.

Ive gotta search around for the P/N when I find it ill post it.

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you own a 7900 , you NEED to get the pleated air filter.
Having said that I myself need to. I cleaned the filter 2 days ago and the inside of the filter and boot connectining it to the carb was dirtier than the outside of the filter.
Disgustingly innefective.

Ive gotta search around for the P/N when I find it ill post it.

There have been 3 different air filters for the PS7900 2 nylon ones the first design we were told to STOP using till the redesigned came out but this is a winter filter and the STOCK Style VLIES filter.
All these filters are PLEATED

Vlies (stock) 038173101
Nylon (winter new style) 038 173 011
OLD Style Nylon (discontinued) 038173010

Scott

Last edited:
Roteiche

Roteiche

ArboristSite Operative
I'm looking into purchasing a dolmar for my ground saw, what are some positives and negatives? I've been running the 7900 at work, runs great. Like it better then the stihl 460 that we also have. Do they stand the test of time like stihl though? Looking at the 7900 and 5100s
Thanks for your help

Hi,

before you meet a decision, try the SOLO 681. More cc an hp.

Latest posts