Done something stupid today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humptulips

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Must have been stupid because I spent about 8 hours in the ER.
I had cut a strip up to the highway and powerlines. Shovel came in an logged it out. Went back today and we were going to push the remaining leaners away from the powerlines. Pretty nice spruce 30" to 40" and tall, 3 nice logs and a top to a tree.
The fifth tree I fell I was watching the tree when it started to go and when it hit the ground it flipped up a chunk the shovel had left. Thought I was way in the clear. I had backed up about 15 feet and to the side from the stump. Chunk landed right on me. Knocked me down and landed across my hips. It was about 10' long and maybe 8" through.
Nothing broke but boy am I sore even with some painkillers. Feel pretty lucky though as it could have been a lot worse.

Shovel operator says it was a fluke and no way to predict it but I look back and think I should have seen it. I saw the chunk there, in fact I stepped over it and where I gunned the tree I should have seen it was going to just catch the end of it. Tree landed right where I gunned it. If I would have missed my lay I wouldn't have got hurt.

Saw that chunk fly up in the air and it seemed like my feet were stuck in concrete. Couldn't get out of the way. Afterwards I gutted it out and walked out but one step is tough right now.

I'm afraid the rest will have to wait a few days. After that I really have to quit going back. I'm too old for this.

Ouch, that doesn't sound like any fun. I'm glad you made it out of there with nothing broken though.

Even one fracture in the pelvis can cost you a full liter of blood loss internally. Then you're talking about shock, sepsis, and
a potential for your kidneys to shut down.

I had cut a strip up to the highway and powerlines. Shovel came in an logged it out. Went back today and we were going to push the remaining leaners away from the powerlines. Pretty nice spruce 30" to 40" and tall, 3 nice logs and a top to a tree.
The fifth tree I fell I was watching the tree when it started to go and when it hit the ground it flipped up a chunk the shovel had left. Thought I was way in the clear. I had backed up about 15 feet and to the side from the stump. Chunk landed right on me. Knocked me down and landed across my hips. It was about 10' long and maybe 8" through.
Nothing broke but boy am I sore even with some painkillers. Feel pretty lucky though as it could have been a lot worse.

Shovel operator says it was a fluke and no way to predict it but I look back and think I should have seen it. I saw the chunk there, in fact I stepped over it and where I gunned the tree I should have seen it was going to just catch the end of it. Tree landed right where I gunned it. If I would have missed my lay I wouldn't have got hurt.

Saw that chunk fly up in the air and it seemed like my feet were stuck in concrete. Couldn't get out of the way. Afterwards I gutted it out and walked out but one step is tough right now.

I'm afraid the rest will have to wait a few days. After that I really have to quit going back. I'm too old for this.

dont feel too bad it happened to me too once . Cut a oak that had a very small dog leg in it . Put my notch and started the back cut no sooner then it detonated on the front and came back on me . Tried to run but happened way to far didnt even make a slight noise while checking my back cut. What I learned that day was that it had carpenter ants inside that had disentigrated the inside making it still appear stable . Ill never look at another standing dead the same . When she broke and popped over the stump saved my hip it crushed me into the ground . My father came over and helped me up all the same with a horrid limp. I didnt turn black in the leg for almost a week but the major pain was over in three to four days . The skin felt like it was tearing when I stretched in the morning not thinking about it until it caused me pain. Good luck to you that deep tissue bruising hurts and feels funny for months . They drained the excess blood off my hip from it and it did feel better though.

Well its good you were able to post about it. Must be sore as a son-of-a-gun.
Getting old, the mind is there (mostly) but them damn legs can't move like they used to.
Heal up takes longer.

Hope you get better and can stay out of bouncy pickups for a while. That's what hurts after getting hurt.

I found the same thing to be true. Just couldn't get the message to MOVE between the brain and the feet very fast. It was kind of funny though, seeing my boss starting a ride on the levered ladder at the scale ramp.

A younger logger saved him.

I am glad you are not seriously hurt, or worse. It's all a matter of time...if we are out there long enough, our "luck" will run out...can't beat the law of averages.

I know this all too well....yesterday I was pushing a tree beside a house...and my chopper cut too much...cut it about completely off the stump...I panicked and tried to push it away...but to no avail.
Right dead center of the house. BIG tree too.

I got lucky in a way though...the house is an A frame...very strong. Tree snapped, and the butt end went through the roof at the bottom.
I am into it for around $2200. My friend is a pro builder, and he was on site within an hour..
Damage is minimal, considering how big the tree was and what could have happened.
First time in 20 years of doing such things..

Be safe everyone.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you're still here to tell the tale.

Now, "look for chunks" is embroidered into my safety folder in my brain.

if you start having trouble breathing, chest pains or start coughing get to the ER immediately, pelvis/hip injuries sometimes lead to blood clots. Even if its just bruised the possibility is there. I fractured my hip about 8 years ago and a couple weeks later I went to bed with some soreness in my chest, the next morning I woke up and the pain was still there and on the way into work I started coughing uncontrollably, after I pulled over and the coughing partially subsided I noticed little spatters of blood on my windshield, the doctor told me I passed a blood clot and when it got to my lungs it burst.

Glad to hear you're ok. Its always the dumbest things when you think about it afterward. I took a wrap to the hat two days ago. pushed er tight to my head. Mousetrap in a big ugly top that I should have seen. Like Bob said though, you'll be back! Hope you heal up fast!

Thanks for the good wishes,
Tough to get out of bed this morning. Found a lot of new sore spots.:sucks:
Computer chair is the only place that is comfortable so I may up my post numbers in the next few days.:laugh:

You always expect it to throw things back at you from above, not from the ground. I suppose the motto is: "Always expect the unexpected."

It's just astonishing how slow will time travel, when things start to move fast towards your head.

I'm sorry for your misfortune, yet I'd like to say thanks for telling the details. I'll check the chunks from now on.

Sam

Glad you are still here to post. Heck of a deal when you hit your lay just right and still get hurt:mad2:

Hump; that hurt just reading it .

I'm glad your ok . The guy that broke me in was from Darrington . The first nice yree he had me fallafter we had worked together for a couple months eas a hemlock about 3' on the stump . I swamped it out and started the face cut. He tapped me on the shoulder and gave the kill th saw sign .
He asked me what I had forgot to do . I looked everything over and said nothin I think . Then he asked me what the chunck that was laying at a 45 degree angle was going to do when the tree came off the stump and hit the ground . When I looked at it I realized it was going to plow me somewhere between the knee and the chest . . I bucked it into small chunks and threw it dow into the draw the tree would bridge .

Since then I've had to do that hundreds of times . No doubt he saved me alot of pain or death . .

I'm working in crotch deep snow now and I really have to work my eyes and brain hard before I fall anything . Cant run . Often I have to make myself go out in front and swamp out as I'm mostly falling snags thru reprod . The older I get the less I like to go for a stroll.

What happened to you is why I hate cutting with iron close . The shovel should have grabbed th chunk and thrown it out of the way . . I've done it lots but never like it .

You're not the only one lately ....

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/193408.htm

Saw this on the Chainsaw site so you're not the only one. Never have met Brad and know he is not a faller by trade but he his certainly not what I would consider to be a newbie when it comes to chainsaws. He is well known on AS.

He's got a pretty good vid of what could have been a coroners investigation. Watch it through to the end.

Gave me the willies and a good reminder of why you always, always look up.

Sh*t can happen to any of us at any time no matter how experienced or not.

Be safe everyone!

Back