Done with hydraulics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried the ss type of splitter, they aint for me. For small logs they work great, but I dont do small dia logs. Say what you want, even if the ss does split thru a 24in dia log in one split, the short wedge most likely will leave you with a canopen split that isnt al the way thru and you still endup having to handle that large round again to get it split. Once split you are noodleing one half into smaller pieces while the other half has to set somewhere. My hydraulic splitter has a 24in tall adjustable 4way wedge. (soon to be a 8way) It has a 5in cylinder with a 28gpm 2stage pump. I havent timed it, but it will work the P of of me. I also have a cable log lift to set the large round on the splitter. No heavy lifting for me. I would really like to see someone bring their SS or similar machine to my house to run against my hyd splitter. Dont care who wins, I just need my wood split. Where I think the SS would really shine for me would be to resplit the large quarters that come off my hyd splitter, but for the big stuff I normally split the SS wouldnt be my first choice.

This guy's got the hydro workig quite fast .

[video=youtube_share;prgXCPrxLI8]http://youtu.be/prgXCPrxLI8[/video]

Very nice set up he has there. 13hp Honda and about 3k worth of hydraulics.

Mr. HE:cool:

That is a fast splitter the Russian has.
Maybe a really fast 2 stage pump?
Id be curious to see what it does with big cruly maple or the like.
Anyone here speak Russian?

My Russian is a bit rusty but near as I can tell his splitter is rated at 9 tons, which I assume are metric tons.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back