Don't Understand the Shouldn't use a Top Handle Saw on the Ground Thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bought my first saw in the early seventies, Stihl made two small saws the 015 and the 020AV. Both of these saws are top handle saws. The 015 was their homeowner offering. I believe at that time many other manufacturers made top handle homeowner saws. There was no mention of climbing saws and there were no eyelets on them. I bought the 020AV at that time and have used it ever since for trimming trees and bucking small trees and branches without any thought of it being dangerous. Maybe I have been lucky, but in all those years it never caused any problems. I now have a couple of rear handle saws, but I find them awkward for trimming. I now have a MS201t and that is even easier to use because it is lighter and better balanced. Maybe it is just a matter of what you are used to. Some one mentioned that in some European countries, that the MS201t and its competitors can only be sold to professionals. I hope that doesn't happen here in the USA.

I now have a MS201t and that is even easier to use because it is lighter and better balanced. Maybe it is just a matter of what you are used to. Some one mentioned that in some European countries, that the MS201t and its competitors can only be sold to professionals. I hope that doesn't happen here in the USA.

I agree. Just like just about everything else, its good to have the right tool for the job at hand, and who should judge for me what tool it should be? Use what you are accustomed to or feel comfortable with.

Common sense cannot be legislated, no matter how many European bureaucrats try. Unfortunately they sometimes get taken notice of by Canadian bureaucrats who think what a swell idea. Bottom line is that all chainsaws are dangerous... and stupid or careless people can always get injured.

My first saw was a brand new (top handle) Poulan 2300 CVA 38 cc. At the time I thought that's a normal saw, and I felled many smaller trees with it, It was powerful for it's small size! It was a great saw...[/url]

That's funny, I grew up cutting with that very saw and happened to be tearing it down in the garage today. I'm not sure what's wrong but hopefully I can get it figured out.

Amazing how many Homelite Super 2 top handle saws were sold to homeowners who likely used them exclusively on the "ground" and didn't get hurt. I know I use mine extensively to cut up smaller 4" - 6" diameter stuff into woodstove lengths. I used a Mac Cat top handle prior to that and have never had a problem. Respect cutting instruments and you'll be okay. No beer and no distractions are key when operating power tools of any kind, plus a dose of common sense never hurt.

Don't be drunk, high, or stupid and you'll be fine. Most of the gas chainsaws I've used have been top-handle models and NEVER had a single issue. Then again I've never been injured using any chainsaw for that matter because I'm not stupid and pay attention on what's going on.

Wait - I thought the purpose of a top handle was so you could hold a beer in the other hand!

The one big difference I noticed about top handles is the large difference in gyro forces. It took a bit of getting used to limbing on the ground with a top handle. I think would naturally grab a rear handle saw for most work anyway as that is what is most comfortable for me. Dad breaks it out a few times a year to use it and keep everything moving, and to cut down the Christmas trees :)

There's not much difference in the tree or on the ground, that's like saying you can't use a full size saw in a tree. Sometimes I'm running a 660 with a 3 footer on big leader's and spars. Just wear proper PPE and use the saw safely. And I use whatever gets the job done. So far OSHA is not to much involved in tree work yet!! Other wise people are gonna have a real hard time in the tree buzz. I'm just glad when I'm at work there not sitting watching with binoculars across the damn street ready to write us up.

I am new enough that I had never even seen a top handle saw. I think I will just stay with a rear handle. Especially since I don't climb. I would also be super tempted to use it 1 handed.

They have two handles, just use both. Real cheap for old used homies or poulan top handles. Look on your craigslist and find one and restore it. They rip! Few lbs lighter than even a small rear handle and got some good power. I had an old homie tophandle used it exclusively for around three years. I even chunked up around a 30 inch huge oak branch once with mine! Noodle, plunge, rip, crosscut, hit it with an axe..chunk. Do it again. I beavered that thing down all to firewood sized chunks, big fun. Now granted most of what I did was light duty trimming and cutting up blowdown branches, but that thing pulled all the time. Either one, just look on your local CL and grab a cheap one, do new lines and filters, clean the carb, etc, then go ferit!

while doing crane jobs the ground guys are constantly using 200t's for limbing out pines and small hardwood tops for the chipper and have never had an issue...common sense play's a key role.I have tried to limit one handing my 200t while in the tree since i saw a guy cut his nose off and barely make it too the ground.I must say it is very tempting to one hand a top handle and sometimes I find a need for it and tho many say pull out your hand saw..I think with thought and a good working knowledge of what's at hand it can be safely done....when cutting smaller butt logs and flushing small stumps a top handle works great sure you have a other larger saws on the truck..but at the end of the day after holding your saw all day it feels good to use a smaller saw...I dont generally drag out a 100cc saw to flush a 12" stump or prune ornamental tree's..I guess what i'm saying is(and many will agree) use the right tool for the job..go ahead and use your top handle on the ground...i do

There are millions of top handle saws, red, yellow, green pick a color. Most were inexpensive, most were bought by homeowners. If they had a extraordinary injury rate, the Feds would have cried about it back in the '70s. The only real difference I noticed is a reduction in leverage.

Respect cutting instruments and you'll be okay. No beer and no distractions are key when operating power tools of any kind, plus a dose of common sense never hurt.

Too much ballyhooing going on about when and why to use a top-handle chainsaw. Respect the tool and what it does and you will be okay. Accidents happen when people get careless.

Howdy,
Good post Philbert, you pretty much nailed the physics involved.
If you can't agree with the position that the top handle saw has the physical potential to be more dangerous, you might end up without a good leg to stand on.

Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Good post Philbert, you pretty much nailed the physics involved.
If you can't agree with the position that the top handle saw has the physical potential to be more dangerous, you might end up without a good leg to stand on.

Regards
Gregg

Hasn't been my experiance Gregg. While I'm no professional I have used both electric and gas chainsaws on and off for about 20 years now. Roughly 14 of those years have been mostly with top-handle gas models. As a child I no zero adult supervision and no protective gear. Never a single scratch knock on wood. Don't ask why my Egg Donor and 1st Stepfather gave into my demands to own and use a chainsaw as I don't have an answer.

Howdy,
The physics are undeniable but, keeping a level head (even when your fatigued), and some luck, can lesson the potential for an accident.
Regards
Gregg

I just purchased a top handle for trimming limbs and branches that are above chest level. My old man has a 192t that I have used quite often for this task.To me it is much safer with the smaller lighter saw than with my 50cc.I recently grabbed a few old saws that were my Grandads. One was an Eager Beaver top handle, I doubt many pro climbers used those.

Latest posts

Back