Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol..well it only took you 912 hours to learn how to spell arborist..lol..did you run that spelling past your buddies first?..lol

JayD

I said "912 hours ago I couldn't spell arbortist and now I are consulting one"

The delights of humour were unfortunately wasted on the uneducated. The spelling mistake was deliberate as was the grammatical mistake ... both these make it clear to the educated that this was a joke. I apologise that you took the sentence literally rather than seeing the humour that was plainly intended.

Yes it is true, I do like spelling to be correct on completed documents and in my confabulations I am known for my sesquipedalian loquaciousness and my desire to communicate using correct English grammar. I apologize if this offends. :dizzy:

If you want one of my spelling buddies they are called dictionaries and they are on line for free or you can by them in these things called books.

JayD

I said "912 hours ago I couldn't spell arbortist and now I are consulting one"

The delights of humour were unfortunately wasted on the uneducated. The spelling mistake was deliberate as was the grammatical mistake ... both these make it clear to the educated that this was a joke. I apologise that you took the sentence literally rather than seeing the humour that was plainly intended.

Yes it is true, I do like spelling to be correct on completed documents and in my confabulations I am known for my sesquipedalian loquaciousness and my desire to communicate using correct English grammar. I apologize if this offends. :dizzy:

If you want one of my spelling buddies they are called dictionaries and they are on line for free or you can by them in these things called books.

Typical condescending pretentious post..get a life you loser!

Typical condescending pretentious post..get a life you loser!

JayD,

I certainly did not mean to be condescending or pretentious. Far from it I am ever overwhelmed by the great capacity of many arborists. I was simply pointing out that your previous smart criticism was not so smart. You seemed very quick to criticise and not so fast to get the facts.

This is something that you again do in this post. "Typical" is thrown in like a loose punch but of my 55 or so posts here it must be plain to most that I can at least respond civilly a lesson that you would do well to learn.

One of course may challenge you with "typical" of what?
  • Being educated ... I stand guilt.
  • Having manners ... Again I have no defence!
  • Telling the truth ... What else should I do?
  • Valuing integrity ... Shouldn't we all?
  • Defensive of my honour ... why be disrespectful and challenge it without cause

What is your typical JayD?

You are throwing punches but loosing ground. You do not need to behave like a rude obnoxious uneducated thug. Use your skills to at least write something a little more stylish and lacking in spite and venom. Once you master that you can then worry about facts.

As for getting a life, I have a simply charming and very fulfilling and rewarding one so I thank you for your blessing. May you also find a life as blessed.

Last edited:
JayD,

I certainly did not mean to be condescending or pretentious. Far from it I am ever overwhelmed by the great capacity of many arborists. I was simply pointing out that your previous smart criticism was not so smart. You seemed very quick to criticise and not so fast to get the facts.

This is something that you again do in this post. "Typical" is thrown in like a loose punch but of my 55 or so posts here it must be plain to most that I can at least respond civilly a lesson that you would do well to learn.

One of course may challenge you with "typical" of what?
  • Being educated ... I stand guilt.
  • Having manners ... Again I have no defence!
  • Telling the truth ... What else should I do?
  • Valuing integrity ... Shouldn't we all?
  • Defensive of my honour ... why be disrespectful and challenge it without cause

What is your typical JayD?

You are throwing punches but loosing ground. You do not need to behave like a rude obnoxious uneducated thug. Use your skills to at least write something a little more stylish and lacking in spite and venom. Once you master that you can then worry about facts.

As for getting a life, I have a simply charming and very fulfilling and rewarding one so I thank you for your blessing. May you also find a life as blessed.

I put it to you, you are the thug in this thread, you imagine we are having a fight, me losing ground, I laugh at the notion....you are delusional !

Shane pk is not to far from Blacktown you should be able to find some help there.

Last edited:
To me it is a matter of intention. If I see a noticeable issue with a tree I might stop in if I have a few minutes. However, my intention is NOT to get the owner to hire us! My goal is to mention the offending item, explain why it is a problem, and leave literature. I invite the owner to call and schedule a thorough Tree Health Analysis if they are so-inclined.

I think that people are generally thankful to recieve honest accurate information without being pressured in any way. Plus, we are not in an area known for general tree care aptitude, so this is a great way to raise awareness of the importance of proper tree care.

Just what I as saying, you would seem hungry for work, not some-one that would be in the same biz as me.
Jeff
BTW- Intention is marketing.

Hell, way back I would see a screwed up tree I would stop and staple a freaking proposal to it! I still have the urge for that cowboy crap every now and again.
But if one has time and is working next door its good business to say HI. There is no harm in that... no more than nailing a piece of paper to a dead tree that say's " I will chop this sob down for 400 hundred bucks!" Lord have mercy!

To me it is a matter of intention. If I see a noticeable issue with a tree I might stop in if I have a few minutes. However, my intention is NOT to get the owner to hire us! My goal is to mention the offending item, explain why it is a problem, and leave literature. I invite the owner to call and schedule a thorough Tree Health Analysis if they are so-inclined.

Are we skipping structural and risk assessment for any reason?

Last edited:
Are skipping structural and risk assessment for any reason?

No, "Tree Health Analysis" is what we call the detailed consultation. Includes an assessment of canopy, structure and root/soil.

Around here we still get a ton of calls for things like, "How much will you charge to take these three limbs out of my tree?" Hell, I went to look at two Bradford pears last Thursday and the homeowner's first words to me were, "I'm sure youll agree that these things obviously need to be topped. How much?" :)

If I can sell these people on the fact that they are going to value my professional diagnosis, then we're moving in the right direction.

No, "Tree Health Analysis" is what we call the detailed consultation. Includes an assessment of canopy, structure and root/soil.

Just my opinion (and that is what we are all here for) but I think you could call it something more descriptive. Health and structure.....2 different aminals.

two Bradford pears last Thursday and the homeowner's first words to me were, "I'm sure youll agree that these things obviously need to be topped. How much?" :)

Bradfords are banned for street trees in most towns around here. We are learning lessons. I think they are, or shortly to be, on the invasive plant list.
Sure are pretty sometimes tho.

I'd punch that camera guy out to if he put that thing in my face. Whats the big deal people do what they need to do to survive. The one clip where you expose this other tree co because they charge $350 for a tree you would have done for $200. Thats 150 bucks difference... I would have bid 350 on that tree myself. I think Ekka doesn't like other tree cos coming into his territory trying to make a living so he makes them look bad on TV. That ####ing horse ####! Who do you think you are gods gift to trees. #### You!

I do not believe that it is specifically illegal to knock in Australia. However, the actions of gypsy door knockers which are discussed in this forum and others are in direct violation of both the Fair Trading Act and the Door to Door Trading Act (Australian laws).

Let me know if I qualify for the $10k donation.

Regrettably no on two accounts. The first is that Eric needed to prove it because he said that "door knocking is illegal" and the second is you start your post by acknowledging it is not illegal.

We all agree that people can and do break the law ... in most instances selling work door to door is not a breach of statute law.

The phrase "gypsy" is a little offensive and I know it was not meant to be. What you are saying is true that there are some unethical operators that do take advantage of people and they are there in the big companies as well. Just in the last few days the Feds have been down at Sachs Goldman and at that level of corruption in Wall Street when it occurs, is always far more wide spread and significant than one person taking advantage door to door but there is no forum against multinational tree services ... yet:cheers:

I'd punch that camera guy out to if he put that thing in my face. Whats the big deal people do what they need to do to survive. The one clip where you expose this other tree co because they charge $350 for a tree you would have done for $200. Thats 150 bucks difference... I would have bid 350 on that tree myself. I think Ekka doesn't like other tree cos coming into his territory trying to make a living so he makes them look bad on TV. That ####ing horse ####! Who do you think you are gods gift to trees. #### You!

Whoa! Hold on! He IS God's gift to the trees. Just goes to show God don't give a dam bout no stinking tree.

if you've ever been involved with journalists, then you know that the "spin" of the story is beyond the control of the persons interviewed.

If you'd quote $350, then so be it - but would you do it without proper PPE? Would you leave a nasty branch stub, as they did in the first tree documented in the video? Let's agree that prices are negotiable, but proper standards of safety and performance aren't.

Also, I can assume that these clients were not offered the 10 day "cooling off" period mandated by law for door-knocked solicitations. Is this acceptable to you?

Whether you agree with the price or not is inconsequential. I find your lack of concern for poor work standards far more telling.

if you've ever been involved with journalists, then you know that the "spin" of the story is beyond the control of the persons interviewed.

If you'd quote $350, then so be it - but would you do it without proper PPE? Would you leave a nasty branch stub, as they did in the first tree documented in the video? Let's agree that prices are negotiable, but proper standards of safety and performance aren't.

Also, I can assume that these clients were not offered the 10 day "cooling off" period mandated by law for door-knocked solicitations. Is this acceptable to you?

Whether you agree with the price or not is inconsequential. I find your lack of concern for poor work standards far more telling.

hey i'm all about wearing PPE and making good cuts. I agree that the "spin" of the story is beyond anyones control other than the interviewer. Maybe the interviewer forgot to tell the public that that old lady wanted the branch cut like that so she could hang a swing or a bird feeder on it. Ive left cuts like that before because the HO wanted me too eeven after I explained that it wasn't right. I just have a beef with this guy saying the HOs are getting ripped off for a lousey 150 bucks when off camera he probably would have bid the same price.

Just my opinion (and that is what we are all here for) but I think you could call it something more descriptive. Health and structure.....2 different aminals.

Bradfords are banned for street trees in most towns around here. We are learning lessons. I think they are, or shortly to be, on the invasive plant list.
Sure are pretty sometimes tho.

I can see why there are not a good idea for street trees and such but are they really an invasive? All the ones I have seen have been planted. Oh wait, I see, they were planted by the cheap developers by thier mexican work force. So they ARE invasive.

More twist and lies from Hartley.

Talking ethics, look in the mirror and see none fool!

The thread is full of all the legal requirements of door knocking, times, days etc with links but fool Hartley has to apply his demented twists.

Get therapy mate. :chainsaw:

Listen, I have some good advice for you Ekka. Take it or leave it but PLEASE take it... STOP SMOKING DOPE ! I did and I am a whole lot less paranoid and raving. Not completly less paranoid and raving but still, it helped... a little. If its not that then it must be to much sun.
Man dude, bro, holmes, you getting any or what?

I can see why there are not a good idea for street trees and such but are they really an invasive? All the ones I have seen have been planted. Oh wait, I see, they were planted by the cheap developers by thier mexican work force. So they ARE invasive.

Invasive as in spreading through unmaintained land such as parks and private lots.

Last edited:
I wanna get a little handheld crossbow, I can tape a proposal to the arrow so I can just drive by and shoot an estimate into the trunk of the tree.

I have an idea.....doesn't happen often....and it may be bullshiht...but it is an idea none the less....

How about we have Mark and Eric write a post on what is important about tree care and limit it to, oh say, 200?....500?... (some limit) words and have a limited time to respond.

Then we have a poll and decide which one is the smartest and we can discuss until the cow jumps over the moon just why we think that. :) Both agree to defer to the other that wins the poll. The one that wins cannot condescend but may generally act smug and very knowledgeable (a far cry from status quo I admit).

What about it you two.....showdown at the OK Corral at high noon? Who is gonna blink first?

Latest posts

Back