DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the DR splitters having mechanical issue similar to Speeco?

Speeco worked on theirs but TractorSupply the only company selling the SpeedPro pulled the plug?

The rough pounding nature of these splitters could be their overall downfall.

I can see either model being great on smaller rounds and wood that is not that dense or having twisted grain like cottonwood trees.

Last edited:
The rough pounding nature of these splitters could be their overall downfall.
Can't say I've read many complaints from Super Split owners. Other than every Tom, Richard and Harry in the neighbourhood wants to borrow it.

Can't say I've read many complaints from Super Split owners. Other than every Tom, Richard and Harry in the neighbourhood wants to borrow it.

I would agree, if I had it to do all over again, I would just go for the Super Split. But that just may be my personal experience. Doesn't seem DR is having the level of issues Speeco has had. The guy looking at my splitter actually did the warranty work for the Speeco as well. His words, and I quote, "Well, at least this looks a bit better built. (It was the first Rapid Fire he had seen) Cause those ones from Speeco were pieces of..."

Mine is going along fine.

My DR worked fine last season and looking forward to a trouble free year this year as well. Looked at the Tractor Supply model and was SO glad I bought the DR. I did mount it on a set of trailer axles though - not highway towable - but can move it around with the ATV.

50 or so cords and my only issue was a belt slipped off which probably was my fault. New machine then and belt just stretched some and I did not do any pre-op checking. Reading all the posts it is nice to know..DR is taking care of others warranty issues.

Well, picked the splitter up yesterday. We will see how it holds up now. Got complete set of new guts installed; rack (which was bent) pinion and cam lever.

Repaired Splitter

Well, picked the splitter up yesterday. We will see how it holds up now. Got complete set of new guts installed; rack (which was bent) pinion and cam lever.

DB, how many cords did you go through before the ram head broke off. Then: How many before the pinion would not engage? I'm up to 50 cords and have been fine. I'm about to get into 25 cord of logs and I, like a new car going cross country, don't want any surprises. I, much to your chagrin, hope your machine is the exception not the rule with DR Splitters. No other owners seem to be having LARGE issues.
I'm sort of hoping yours was a build on a hangover Monday.....:msp_mad: If one guy is doing all the welding on the rams, could have had a bad day or got sort of sloppy putting his bead down. I keep looking at mine now with hopes of 1. Not seeing cracks 2. Not having that issue. Time will tell. Now my next hope is for you to put out hundreds of cords without another "Ouch"! Stay in touch.:rock:

DB, how many cords did you go through before the ram head broke off. Then: How many before the pinion would not engage? I'm up to 50 cords and have been fine. I'm about to get into 25 cord of logs and I, like a new car going cross country, don't want any surprises. I, much to your chagrin, hope your machine is the exception not the rule with DR Splitters. No other owners seem to be having LARGE issues.
I'm sort of hoping yours was a build on a hangover Monday.....:msp_mad: If one guy is doing all the welding on the rams, could have had a bad day or got sort of sloppy putting his bead down. I keep looking at mine now with hopes of 1. Not seeing cracks 2. Not having that issue. Time will tell. Now my next hope is for you to put out hundreds of cords without another "Ouch"! Stay in touch.:rock:

First, remember my first unit was exchanged, so this is a whole new unit.

I never really have kept exact track of cords on it when we were mass producing wood. Since it worked along side a TW-7, it was difficult to pinpoint the exact amount produced from that one machine. I would guess, it was probably in the 30 cord range when the ram broke off.

Then, the second unit started to go in about 20 cords. That time, I adjusted it and it kept going for maybe another 10 to 20 cords. I imagine the second unit was having rack problems to start with.

The part that I can't comprehend: If the rack was bent, but you push down full distance, whether it is bent or not, it should stay on the pinion. But since it wasn't, this leads me to believe something in the cam lever was also bent. However, I looked this over to begin with and could not notice it.

Cam lever

First, remember my first unit was exchanged, so this is a whole new unit.

I never really have kept exact track of cords on it when we were mass producing wood. Since it worked along side a TW-7, it was difficult to pinpoint the exact amount produced from that one machine. I would guess, it was probably in the 30 cord range when the ram broke off.

Then, the second unit started to go in about 20 cords. That time, I adjusted it and it kept going for maybe another 10 to 20 cords. I imagine the second unit was having rack problems to start with.

The part that I can't comprehend: If the rack was bent, but you push down full distance, whether it is bent or not, it should stay on the pinion. But since it wasn't, this leads me to believe something in the cam lever was also bent. However, I looked this over to begin with and could not notice it.

Hmmm, maybe there was enough slop in the cam or the pinion that it would "bounce" out under stress. Just hard to detect when idle. I know you probably tried moving them around when not in stress but think of the force while under stress. Equivalent to what? 27 ton hydraulic? That would go or be for several different components all with use wear. To the pinion mounting, ram itself loose some and the engagement handle all having just enough that it would not stay engaged. I wonder if DR has looked at what it was and would inform you if you contacted them. Just for the knowledge of watching on your new machine so you might head it off at the pass, so to speak.

Hmmm, maybe there was enough slop in the cam or the pinion that it would "bounce" out under stress. Just hard to detect when idle. I know you probably tried moving them around when not in stress but think of the force while under stress. Equivalent to what? 27 ton hydraulic? That would go or be for several different components all with use wear. To the pinion mounting, ram itself loose some and the engagement handle all having just enough that it would not stay engaged. I wonder if DR has looked at what it was and would inform you if you contacted them. Just for the knowledge of watching on your new machine so you might head it off at the pass, so to speak.

But you can over-rotate (adjust) your cam lever so it has to pass back through the "low-point" to release. Therefore, the only way for it to relieve stress under pressure would be for something to bend. I tried this and it still didn't hold true. Some part of that lever had to be bending under stress, it is the only source I can see.

Django made ​​similar splitter and he mentioned that he was bent axle on the mechanism that was 15mm thick (apology for European dimensions)

Last edited:
Might be slower but I will stick with hydraulics. (Tried true and will power through):check:

Might be slower but I will stick with hydraulics. (Tried true and will power through):check:

Yep, and they never ever bend a ram, crack off a wedge or push plate, blow a hose, get rust pitting on a valve stem, break the pump, etc, etc, etc. :laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

Well, after an hour with the newly repaired Rapid Fire; down again. This time though, it had bent all the carriage bolts. Which I'm not sure why they used Grade 2 bolts in there. But anyway, went to TSC and picked up some replacements. Noticed the bar which holds the cam lever stop bolt is now bent. :dizzy:

Last edited:
Got to give DR some customer service rep again. They are sending me the new parts. Still up in the air on what to do about the bent plate. For now, they told me to have the repair shop re-tap it. Otherwise, will have to replace the whole piece. Maybe I will do that in the "off-season".

As always, pics or it didn't happen.

Here is all I got accomplished before the next break.

2012-08-25_19-04-04_848.jpg

Here is the upper bolt and plate which were both bent.

2012-08-25_19-04-12_428.jpg

Here is lower carriage bolt which was also bent.

2012-08-25_19-04-17_285.jpg

Anyone see this yet? They came out with a cheaper and lower priced version.

DR® Power Equipment - Log Splitter | PRO RapidFire Log Splitter | Wood Splitter for Sale

wds_rapidfire_pro_500.jpg

Sale $1,799.99
Estimated Shipping: $199.00

Looks like competition for the no-longer-sold SpeedPro???

Confusing specs though when compared to the "XL" model:

5.5 hp vs. 6.0

All other performance specs are essentially the same, except:

Kinetic Energy Stored
880 ft. lbs. v. 2,356 ft. lbs.

How would this be if the flywheels are the same spinning at the same rate?

I think that the mechanism has not been set up properly and the lever is gone too far forward and the force acting on the rack on the bolts broke housing
## somehow it seems to me that the whole mechanism is made too loose and too gentle

apology for bad English

Thanks for the info and pics D&B Mack.

Whilst I'd be rather disappointed by now had a product failed this many times, I am pleased to see the company is standing behind it. The fact they are, makes me think that whilst it isn't good they released something that has a few kinks, they are highly unlikely to write off a small percentage of issues as 'statistically insignificant' and do nothing about improving their product.

I'll stick with my super split and tweaking it for now though.

I think that the mechanism has not been set up properly and the lever is gone too far forward and the force acting on the rack on the bolts broke housing
## somehow it seems to me that the whole mechanism is made too loose and too gentle

apology for bad English

I personally think using a Grade 2 bolt in an area that indirectly receives that much force is not a good idea. Along with a 1/8" thick of steel plate. But hey, I'm just a dumb firewood guy.

Anyone see this yet? They came out with a cheaper and lower priced version.

DR® Power Equipment - Log Splitter | PRO RapidFire Log Splitter | Wood Splitter for Sale

wds_rapidfire_pro_500.jpg

Sale $1,799.99
Estimated Shipping: $199.00

Looks like competition for the no-longer-sold SpeedPro???

Confusing specs though when compared to the "XL" model:

5.5 hp vs. 6.0

All other performance specs are essentially the same, except:

Kinetic Energy Stored
880 ft. lbs. v. 2,356 ft. lbs.

How would this be if the flywheels are the same spinning at the same rate?

Smaller flywheel diameter, smaller HP, but still doesn't seem quite right in terms of equivalent force. $900 price difference makes my antenna crackle into life. Perhaps there are other things not immediately obvious from the spec sheet? Are they taking a hit on the lower priced model, or have so much fat in the higher priced model they can afford to drop $900 for something that seems on paper costs them only a wee bit less to produce?

Latest posts

Back