DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone used a D.R. and a Super Split side by side? I guess lets forget costs for a few moments and compare straight up. When it comes down to it which one is the best? I have read all of the threads, I think, about each one and read about overcoming some of the obstacles, like trailering, but I really don't want to get my opinion swayed just by cost. It looks to me with shipping right now it is about $600.00 differant, which is alot of money, but not compared to down time and aggravation. Any more help on the pluses and minuses would be appreciated. Thanks!

$600 difference??? If you want to compare apples to apples... DR pro-xl w/table $2400. SS j-model w/table $2604. Shipping should similar for each depending on where you live. That came right from each manufacturers websites.

In your research of both brands... How many issues, break downs, problems or complaints did you find about the SS ???

:cheers: :potstir: :fart: :cheers:

$600 difference??? If you want to compare apples to apples... DR pro-xl w/table $2400. SS j-model w/table $2604. Shipping should similar for each depending on where you live. That came right from each manufacturers websites.

In your research of both brands... How many issues, break downs, problems or complaints did you find about the SS ???

:cheers: :potstir: :fart: :cheers:

Good call on the price. I was thinking they were closer that $600. Origin of manufacture is still questionable with the DR (have heard more than one story). SS is made in the USA.

No way I'd buy the copy when I can get the original! Mine's been flawless in 2-1/2 years...

:cheers:

It appears right now with the sale DR is having and their shipping was $100.00 less to my zip code, don't ask me why, that made the differance $600.00 when I e-mailed both for quotes. Thanks for the input men!

I've had my DR Pro XL for about a month now and I love it. No issues at all. I would recommend it to anyone. I have just recently had the opportunity to check out an SS in operation and it is very good also. I bought the DR because of my families experience with the DR line in the past. My father and BIL both have several different pieces of their equipment and they have been flawless.

It appears right now with the sale DR is having and their shipping was $100.00 less to my zip code, don't ask me why, that made the differance $600.00 when I e-mailed both for quotes. Thanks for the input men!

Was DR quoting price on the "pro" model or the "pro-xl" model (the pro-xl is DR's copy of the SS)?? Did both quotes include production table? Something still sounds off .

That's odd with the shipping difference too because SS was a little cheaper, and closer too, for depot shipping to Indiana.

Statement retracted... my apologies to you Jack.

Last edited:
I cannot understand why people keep bringing up the "copy cat" issue. SS did not invent the inertial splitter. They make a good unit, but it was not their original idea. They improved some things and do a good job. So does DR. If you don't like DR that's fine but get over it. I am happy with my DR. I compared them and made a choice, if it's a bad choice in the long run, I will live with it. Some people need to get a life. I RECOMMEND THE DR PRO XL.

I cannot understand why people keep bringing up the "copy cat" issue. SS did not invent the inertial splitter. They make a good unit, but it was not their original idea. They improved some things and do a good job. So does DR. If you don't like DR that's fine but get over it. I am happy with my DR. I compared them and made a choice, if it's a bad choice in the long run, I will live with it. Some people need to get a life. I RECOMMEND THE DR PRO XL.

I agree, everyone should buy what they like.

As for the 'copy' thing. DR bought two splitters from Super Split and came pretty dang close to copying the SS design. ;)

I agree, everyone should buy what they like.

As for the 'copy' thing. DR bought two splitters from Super Split and came pretty dang close to copying the SS design. ;)

I don't doubt that a bit. That is normal in big business. Companies buy their competitors products all the time. They tear them down and study them. So what? If we, as consumers, get better products because of it, we benefit. My point is people bad mouthing and criticizing things they have never used. SS is a copy cat product to. He got the idea from something else. I don't care. He makes a very good product. It is not 100% made in America. Where does he source his engines and the steel that goes into the construction? I doubt that all of the steel is U.S.A. made. It's not all that important to me. It's like getting on someone when they buy a Toyota. The problem is, there is more American made materials in a Toyota than any Chevy, Ford or Chrysler product.

I don't doubt that a bit. That is normal in big business. Companies buy their competitors products all the time. They tear them down and study them. So what? If we, as consumers, get better products because of it, we benefit. My point is people bad mouthing and criticizing things they have never used. SS is a copy cat product to. He got the idea from something else. I don't care. He makes a very good product. It is not 100% made in America. Where does he source his engines and the steel that goes into the construction? I doubt that all of the steel is U.S.A. made. It's not all that important to me. It's like getting on someone when they buy a Toyota. The problem is, there is more American made materials in a Toyota than any Chevy, Ford or Chrysler product.

I don't have any problem with any of that, I was just trying to explain the 'copy cat' thing...

:msp_smile:

You are correct, SS did not invent the kinetic splitter. But, they did invent the SuperSplit log spltter. Which DR purchased 2 of and made a direct, and almost exact, copy of.

That is where the "copy-cat" issue stems from...

Be proud of your purchase. DR's reputation and warranty is outstanding. I looked very hard at the DR, I just decided it best to go with the SS after my feasco with all the speedpro crap.

Last edited:
Sunfish,
You're right the DR is pretty darn close in design to the SS (we've made some improvements including more HP and others already discussed) -- but we took the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. Paul, and his father before him, build an awesome machine and it's design has proven extremely durable. Why change that?

What we've set out to do is make these machines more broadly available, at a reasonable Price and backed-up by exceptional customer service.

Can I ask if they've re designed the brass wear guides and bearings that carry the end of the ram down the rail? We have 2 Super Splits and we process about 3500-4000 face cord a year and both of them have constant issues with that design, the brass guides seems to soft and wears out constantly then causeing the guide bearings to fail prematurley.

Last edited:
That's a lot of wood

Can I ask if they've re designed the brass wear guides and bearings that carry the end of the ram down the rail? We have 2 Super Splits and we process about 3500-4000 face cord a year and both of them have constant issues with that design, the brass guides seems to soft and wears out constantly then causeing the guide bearings to fail prematurley.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I can not remember now why I bought the DR and not the SS, it was a toss up and I would have been happy with either.

Perhaps electric start? Prices change so if that was the reason then it may not apply now.

With 30 cords under my belt I was thinking how I would change it.

I think first would be small diesel for power. Second is moving around, my pile was on a slope and I found it too hard to push up hill at my great age. It would have been nice to connect the flywheel to the wheels! The height for me is good, maybe a couple of inches higher but that brings other issues.

Presumably it does not come with a tow package due to the height.

The production table is a must and should come standard.

I can see why the Manufacturer does not sell a slip on 4 way wedge, but for me it would be handy with a lot of the wood I split. Perhaps before my next major split season there will be one available as I do not have the tools or skill to make one.

I have both, a DR and a SS HD

Anyone used a D.R. and a Super Split side by side? I guess lets forget costs for a few moments and compare straight up. When it comes down to it which one is the best? I have read all of the threads, I think, about each one and read about overcoming some of the obstacles, like trailering, but I really don't want to get my opinion swayed just by cost. It looks to me with shipping right now it is about $600.00 differant, which is alot of money, but not compared to down time and aggravation. Any more help on the pluses and minuses would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've had two DRs over the past year now and just got a new SS HD model yesterday. Stay tuned and I should be giving a report soon.

I've had two DRs over the past year now and just got a new SS HD model yesterday. Stay tuned and I should be giving a report soon.

I am most curious o see how the HD performs as I'm torn between the HD and the special duty heavy version. Having seen Sunfish's J model in action I was most impressed but I like the concept of the heavier flywheels. Sunfish's did quite well, but with the knots it stalled in (multiple hits still went faster than my 35 ton Speeco) I have to think if that was semi-routine that it would be more ultimate wear on the rack, splined crank and engagement rod, than if I bought the heavier version, which *should* stall out less. Even if it was a 5 second cycle time but basically never stalled, it would be immensely faster than my current setup.

I am most curious o see how the HD performs as I'm torn between the HD and the special duty heavy version. Having seen Sunfish's J model in action I was most impressed but I like the concept of the heavier flywheels. Sunfish's did quite well, but with the knots it stalled in (multiple hits still went faster than my 35 ton Speeco) I have to think if that was semi-routine that it would be more ultimate wear on the rack, splined crank and engagement rod, than if I bought the heavier version, which *should* stall out less. Even if it was a 5 second cycle time but basically never stalled, it would be immensely faster than my current setup.

When you saw mine, Hedgerow had brought the worst nastiest knotiest Eim and Hedge he could find to test it out. I wish we'd have had some larger, longer pieces for the video...

We split a Bunch of Hedge at the Spring GTG and hardly had a stall. :msp_smile:

I highly recommend the HD model for nasty wood, or production work...

When you saw mine, Hedgerow had brought the worst nastiest knotiest Eim and Hedge he could find to test it out. I wish we'd have had some larger, longer pieces for the video...

We split a Bunch of Hedge at the Spring GTG and hardly had a stall. :msp_smile:

I highly recommend the HD model for nasty wood, or production work...

Either way, I was still amazed by your splitter. I would buy it with no hesitation as I knew what Matt brought were "ringer" pieces... I just figure if the HD is a small amount more than the money yuo'd already be shelling out for the J, then it's likely worth it for mid-western use...

Either way, I was still amazed by your splitter. I would buy it with no hesitation as I knew what Matt brought were "ringer" pieces... I just figure if the HD is a small amount more than the money yuo'd already be shelling out for the J, then it's likely worth it for mid-western use...

Knowing what I know now and the fact I've increased my wood production, I'd get the HD model.
I've already upgraded the bearings on the cam engagement to HD on mine. But I don't feel the special edition model is really needed?

you wouln't believe me!

I put the SS HD to the test yesterday and I don't believe me! I now call the HD my SS Ginsing Knife!
It made firewood out of the meanest knottyest-most twisted grainest 16"X12"X18"long chunk of Red Gum Eucaliptus I pulled fron the reject pile that my 30-ton hydraulic slow-poke wouldn't split! But this needs to go to a SS thread. No way ever could the DR do that! I have them both side by side until Wednesday when the shipping company comes to take the Rapid Fire back to meet its maker. i have nothing but good things to say about DR and their customer service...THEY TRUELY STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS!

I put the SS HD to the test yesterday and I don't believe me! I now call the HD my SS Ginsing Knife!
It made firewood out of the meanest knottyest-most twisted grainest 16"X12"X18"long chunk of Red Gum Eucaliptus I pulled fron the reject pile that my 30-ton hydraulic slow-poke wouldn't split! But this needs to go to a SS thread. No way ever could the DR do that! I have them both side by side until Wednesday when the shipping company comes to take the Rapid Fire back to meet its maker. i have nothing but good things to say about DR and their customer service...THEY TRUELY STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS!

And that's the rest of the story...

Latest posts

Back