Drolet Tundra Wood Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskyjo

Reaction score
Well I have my new furnace installed for a week now and I'm having trouble with black creosote water dripping out of my 90* elbow. My wood is two to three years old ,mixed hardwoods light as a feather and dry. If I add three pieces of wood over hot coals and set the thermostat to come on my black pipe reads about 250 to 300 degrees but once it gets to the set position the thermostat shuts the damper down and the gases ignite but my stove pipe cools down to 150 degrees and I start to get the dripping black water from my elbow. I have 1- 90 out of the stove 18" of stove pipe then another 90 turning it into the masonry flue that is about 15 feet tall. What am I doing wrong and why is my pipe not getting hot enough? Any help would be appreciated I have been heating with wood for over 37 years now and have never had this problem with my old Franklin or Englander or my Buck stove. This add on furnace has me stumped,, I can set the thermostat at 90 degrees and run thru the wood like and older stoves but the wife doesn't like me leaving four windows open just because it's 88 degrees inside.

Draft is most likely your issue. I would advise you to get a manometer to check. see @brenndatomu . Also you could learn alot from the thread (introducing brand new wood furnace - the drolet tundra ) Its real long, but informative. Good luck.

Hey Dan thanks for your information. I slowed my fan speed down to low so the heat up the pipe would be hotter and the biggest thing I found was where the furnace jacket meets the heavy six inch pipe from the furnace my blower was pushing cold air out around the jacket and cooling down the elbow. I noticed the one above it was still hot and on the back side of the lower elbow a constant stream of cold air was blowing on it so I sealed it with stove cement and now no air escapes and its working as it should now. I do have a Dwyer model 25 manometer on order to check the draft. I measured the 7inch masonry chimney yesterday and it's 17 feet to the stove and no smokes escapes when I reload. Thanks again,,, John

Back