Dropping trees with Andre: VIDEO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!!:redface: You're all right I should have had my chaps on, I even had them with me.:dizzy:

As most can tell we're not pros at this, but we both have a basic understanding how things work when it comes to felling, and the basics do work for the most part.

That heavy breathing was not only from driving the wedges, but from fear that we were fixing to take the power lines down, lol.

Hence my rope suggestion Brad. They can give you enough peace of mind to keep you from throwing up on yourself when things get shaky! LOL :cheers:

Hence my rope suggestion Brad. They can give you enough peace of mind to keep you from throwing up on yourself when things get shaky! LOL :cheers:

You're right and we thought about using a line. With that said, with the trunk separating like it did, it may have made things much worse, as the line may have pulled the tree apart at the Y. Luckily I checked for center rot before we started cutting, if we made a normal face we would have been in big trouble quickly.

Very nice vids guys thanks. What size bar on the 7900 and 066?

Last edited:
looks like a fun day ,im taking it you have a hopped up log splitter to split all those rounds you bucked up to match the saws right ?

Looks like you guys had fun,,, and got a weekly workout ;). I've never ran a 7900, but that one sure looked and sounded healthy,,, as all them did!!!

I took down a few tree's at my brothers place today. I cheated and used the excavator though. Beetle killed pines,,, I don't like sticking a saw in them.

After watching your vids I called up a buddy that's been wanting to drop a black walnut that's by a farmers field. I went over and dropped it. Good thing I watched your vid because this tree was hollow also. I did the exact falling technique and dropped it within 5-6 ft of where I wanted it. We wanted to avoide the field because it had been plowed and was a sticky wet mess.

My buddies MS390 (stock) has a 20" bar which didtn't cut all the way through. I was a fairly good size tree.

I have some chunks of the tree that will be allowed to dry and be made into something......what, I don’t know... There is some nice grain in that tree!

Very nice vids guys thanks. What size bar on the 7900 and 066?
32" on both the 7900 and 066. 28" on the 440 and 064. 20" on the 261, and 16" on both 346s.

After watching your vids I called up a buddy that's been wanting to drop a black walnut that's by a farmers field. I went over and dropped it. Good thing I watched your vid because this tree was hollow also. I did the exact falling technique and dropped it within 5-6 ft of where I wanted it. We wanted to avoide the field because it had been plowed and was a sticky wet mess.
Glad we could help you out. That was part of the idea of the video. Whether we executed it perfectly or not, NOT, it at least gives you and idea of the technique involved.

WOW!

You guys sure look a heck of a lot more like you know what you're doing on video than you do in person!!!LOL

GREAT job on that locust!
Wish I could have been there with my 6400 and 28" bar for some of that soft wood.
Where are the Poulans?

Mike

Glad we could help you out. That was part of the idea of the video. Whether we executed it perfectly or not, NOT, it at least gives you and idea of the technique involved.

Kinda increases the Pucker factor when they just sit there and dont move like you anticpated,,, Huh??? LOLOL!!!

However Id rather that,,,, and being able to wedge my way out of it,,, instead of it going all wrong real fast in a hurry,,, anyday!!!!!

Last edited:
You steal that truck from a Texan?

Nice vids. I'll post my 50cc shootout soon here. Too bad we didn't have a 261, tho :(

176577d1300563651-chapsawdamge-jpgmedium-jpg

32" on both the 7900 and 066. 28" on the 440 and 064. 20" on the 261, and 16" on both 346s..

I actually run an 18" B&C on my 346. I think most firewood cutters could do at least 60% of their work with a 346/261 IMHO. I must say my 346 is a special 346, it truly runs like it's ported, sleeper saw I guess you could say.

Latest posts

Back