Dumpin' a Snag with the 880 (video)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the vid Thanks.That 880 should eat that up with no prob at all. I do have one question tho. Besides lumber,what else do you use Douglas fir for. I didn't think it make good fire wood. Hot but burns up quickly.

Impressive

"Even more impressive to me is the way he handles that big saw! If you've never run one...it's a LOT of saw to handle like he is. Makes it look like a 460."

Yes yes

I am also impressed how you cut with the back of the bar on the bottom of the humboldt that smoothly. Like you had done that before.

Top of the bar means most of the chips, and in this case a lot of dust too, go away from the sawyer. A worthwhile thought.

Although you didn't seem to spend a lot of time cutting.

lol

Did not tach it up there, I would guess around 13,800-14.

That's what I figured...it sounded like it was pretty high. Nice job on the vid slinger'.... You been cuttin lately? We have...when it warms up occasionally and when we can get the skidder in there. Kinda hard to log when you're trying to run a franklin 170 on a hillside that is almost pure ice....and since my boss sells the firewood logs out of the tops....it's kinda hard to find a 5" log in a foot of snow...lol And instead of an average of 6 log turns....we dropped the weight....so now we only get out an average of 3 logs per turn... With 6 logs on shes floating the front wheels comming into the landing....lol:greenchainsaw:

That is impressive sawmanship. I can hold an 880 effectively when it is not running, you are dancing with it.

Turning all those RPM's, does it make the saw more usable with "less" bar? I thought the rule of thumb was that saw coming into its own because of torque with 36" plus bars.

I have to ask about the gloves. What are they, just the simple faller's gloves, light and tight? I am still trying to keep my hands alive.

Keep up the good work.

That is impressive sawmanship. I can hold an 880 effectively when it is not running, you are dancing with it.

Turning all those RPM's, does it make the saw more usable with "less" bar? I thought the rule of thumb was that saw coming into its own because of torque with 36" plus bars.

I have to ask about the gloves. What are they, just the simple faller's gloves, light and tight? I am still trying to keep my hands alive.

Keep up the good work.

Cotton liners.

That's what I figured...it sounded like it was pretty high. Nice job on the vid slinger'.... You been cuttin lately? We have...when it warms up occasionally and when we can get the skidder in there. Kinda hard to log when you're trying to run a franklin 170 on a hillside that is almost pure ice....and since my boss sells the firewood logs out of the tops....it's kinda hard to find a 5" log in a foot of snow...lol And instead of an average of 6 log turns....we dropped the weight....so now we only get out an average of 3 logs per turn... With 6 logs on shes floating the front wheels comming into the landing....lol:greenchainsaw:

Mills won't pay anything right now. Lot's of job's but no where to send the wood.
The timber industry is really hurting around here.

lol

Mills won't pay anything right now. Lot's of job's but no where to send the wood.
The timber industry is really hurting around here.

Yea...lol....my boss laid off everybody on the mill here..I cut only when it's nice out now.....he says buisness is going backwards....lol:greenchainsaw:

Yea...lol....my boss laid off everybody on the mill here..I cut only when it's nice out now.....he says buisness is going backwards....lol:greenchainsaw:

Most of my faller buddies are off...I planned on picking up some fill-in jobs for a few cutters this winter, now they're lucky to even have two-three days a week worth of work.

The group I usually work with had a 61-acre matrix unit lined up for December, but there's no market for hardwoods right now.

Great job Sling'r,, I love watchin your video's. Tried to rep ya, but said I had to spread some more around. Thanks

Back