Dust/ashes in house. Tips on keeping it to a minimum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I realize that it's the nature of the beast, but I was hoping on getting some pointers on how to minimize it.

I have a Quadrafire Fireplace insert. No grate, no ash removal area - the area where the wood burns is where the ashes and coals build up. I have the "outside air is used for combustion" feature on it. This is the 4th or 5th year that I've used it.

For some reason, this year seems to be worse than previous years for ashes/dust in the house and I don't know why. Same wood being burned as in previous years. A mixture of Oak, Maple, Cherry and Sycamore.

Here's what I do.

When the ashes build up to a level that starts to impact how the wood is burning, I let it burn down so there are just enough coals left to re-start the fire. I turn off the blower, move the coals to the side, scoop out the excessive ashes (can't help but get some coals too) and place them in a steel bucket. I take as much care as possible to gently place the ashes in the bucket, but due to the heat coming from them, there are still airborne ashes. Nothing hot enough to worry about but enough to make a mess which ends up thru the whole house. I'll usually scoop out enough to fill a bucket that is 14" across by 9" tall.

The insert is in the living room, so I cannot shut a door and close off the rest of the house while I'm cleaning out the ashes.

Suggestions?

try a spray bottle w/water in in .when you are dumping ashes in you bucket give it a lite mist dowN into the bucket.trial& error. it wont get it all but i have done this and it seems to help.FS

If the ashes are still hot the water mist won't help much in my experience as the water becomes steam and takes ash up with it.

The cooler the fire the better. Perhaps you have to sacrifice the coals as well, suck all the heat out with the blower and put the fire right out.

Then build it up when finished with kindling and lots of smaller splits.

Box fan near the ash bucket, blowing away with a good filter sucked up to the back

of the fan, no strap needed. Combined with a spray mist spritzed OVER the bucket, better with a helper, as the shovel is emptied. The mist delivered this way will not make steam, just make the fly-away ash heavier and easier for the filter to trap.:rock:

I have a fp insert and picked up a good tip here a while ago that works well for me. Similar to your method, when the fire is burned down but not out, i scoop some of the ash out, difference is I scoop them into a large dustpan that i hold partly into the fp, which allows the airborne particles to draft up the chimney. Carefully get my ash out of the house:)

Always a struggle, good luck :cheers:

Thanks guys! I'll try the misting water and box fan w/filter. I'd get someone else to help, but the dog can't seem to get the hang of squeezing the trigger on the mister bottle, and she tends to dump the ashes into the bucket too quickly. No kids and I got rid of the wife years ago.

Heck, the dog was happier to see me come home than the wife, so the dog stayed. :laugh:

I've got the same setup as the OP...

I hold the ash can up against the stove, as close as I can, covering about 2/3rds of the opening. With the can at a nearly horizontal angle, I reach in through the remaining 1/3 opening with the shovel and start scooping into the can.

When the stove is hot, the draft helps suck the ash back into the fire box.

Use your gloves as that can will get warm quick.

Google ashdragon. It is a good size scoop with a lid that drops over the top and front. Pretty slick!

I'd put up a link but I just got my winky wacked for a non sponsor link a few weeks ago...gotta behave. ;) If anybody finds that one of the AS sponsors carry's the ashdragon, link away!

Google ashdragon. It is a good size scoop with a lid that drops over the top and front. Pretty slick!

I'd put up a link but I just got my winky wacked for a non sponsor link a few weeks ago...gotta behave. ;) If anybody finds that one of the AS sponsors carry's the ashdragon, link away!

It ain't cheap...$79.95 excluding shipping...

Latest posts

Back