Earthday!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all these post reminded me of a song comedian Denis Leary did years back. The song was called "You're an A$$hole"

"...You know what I’m gonna do
I’m gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
Hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps
And all leather cow interior
And make brown baby seal lions for head lights (yeah)
And I’m gonna drive in that baby at 115 miles per hour
Gettin' 1 mile per gallon,
Sucking down Quarter Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonald’s
In the old fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers
And when I’m done sucking down those greeseball burgers
I’m gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag
And then I’m gonna toss the styrofoam containers right out the side
And there ain’t a ####### thing anybody can do about it
You know why, because we’ve got the bombs, that’s why..."

I ate some sharpnose shark, and black sea bass that I caught a few weeks ago 40 miles offshore.

I had to eat alone though, because my wife is pregnant, and the mercury levels are too high for her or for my 2-year old son to risk eating any.

He does love to look at the fish, and this summer I'm going to take him fishing for panfish. It'll all be catch and release though, because you can't eat any of the freshwater fish in this area. The areas that don't have heavy metal contamination have an abundance of coliforms from the overuse of fertilizer. There are even a couple of pretty spots that we won't fish, because the coliform levels are high enough that you can't swim in the water.

I'll bring some extra hooks, because some always get lost on the washing machines and couches that people toss off of the bridges, and if we keep our backs to the trash piled up next to the boat ramp, we'll have a pretty view.

Tree hugger? Nope. I was just hoping my kid would have some of the same opportunities that I did to get away and enjoy the woods.

He won't.

Keep sticking it to the environment guys.

I ate some sharpnose shark, and black sea bass that I caught a few weeks ago 40 miles offshore.

I had to eat alone though, because my wife is pregnant, and the mercury levels are too high for her or for my 2-year old son to risk eating any.

He does love to look at the fish, and this summer I'm going to take him fishing for panfish. It'll all be catch and release though, because you can't eat any of the freshwater fish in this area. The areas that don't have heavy metal contamination have an abundance of coliforms from the overuse of fertilizer. There are even a couple of pretty spots that we won't fish, because the coliform levels are high enough that you can't swim in the water.

I'll bring some extra hooks, because some always get lost on the washing machines and couches that people toss off of the bridges, and if we keep our backs to the trash piled up next to the boat ramp, we'll have a pretty view.

Tree hugger? Nope. I was just hoping my kid would have some of the same opportunities that I did to get away and enjoy the woods.

He won't.

Excellent points. Every day is earth day here.

My baby girl was just born today! YA!
Same as alot here, hope she knows that WE MAKE FIREWOOD! LOL

Good to hear it all went well, Teddy, congratulations!!

Every day is Earth Day at my house (ok, maybe a bit more for my wife than myself). We are green as hell.... you guys would puke. I still have 30 chainsaws and a yardfull of firewood, though!

I fixed a motorcycle carburetor that was previously puking gas everywhere, plus did some valve adjustments, then went the 32 miles home at 5MPH under the speed limit. Not because I'm a total tree hugger, but because a) I got paid for the work and b) if I get one more ticket I might lose my license!

:chainsaw:

COME ON Gary! LOL!!

The wife just saw this thread!
And said to post in it!

My baby girl was just born today! YA!
Same as alot here, hope she knows that WE MAKE FIREWOOD! LOL

Congrats Teddy! :clap: :clap:

But seriously... we used to do that kind of stuff out in the woods... a lot. When it would rain, the landing looked like a cross between a mudhole and an oil slick...

We've gotten better with Mom over the years...

Gary

He won't.

Well put.

But seriously... we used to do that kind of stuff out in the woods... a lot. When it would rain, the landing looked like a cross between a mudhole and an oil slick...

We've gotten better with Mom over the years...

Not too long ago it was common wisdom that draining oil on the road "kept the dust down".

Me too, but I wiped my arse with leaves!
Gypo

:laugh: When I was a teenager I was in the woods on a walk with a gal who knew nothing about tree species. So I'd point out the beeches, various conifers, etc.

Then we came upon a little striped maple. What's this one with the broad leaves she asked. Said it's a dwarf azweepay tree.

Never heard of it before - is it rare?. So I write it out on a paper scrap for her for future reference, A-S-S-W-I-P-E ...T-R-E-E.

She looked at me kind of sideways. Just said that broad leaves make for superior coverage and prevent the stinkfigger. She was a good sport, that one.

I don't think I'd be out on a limb by saying that most of us here on AS are better caretakers of nature than the Hollywood and Political types that like to rant and rave "look what I did" and make laws preventing us from living our lives. We take care of things because it makes sense and not to be noticed or get attention from what we do. The Nancy Pelosi, Al Gore and Brad Pitt crowd fly their jets everywhere they go or ride in a luxury limousine or SUV and then tell us to sacrifice. They buy a hybrid for show but do you really think they ever use it unless it's for a photo op? I'll go on living my life as usual and do a whole lot less polluting than the elite crowd do but you won't hear me crowing about it.

Ran a small B&S 4 stroke on my riding mower to suck up leaves, which I spread as mulch over my not-too-organic vegetable garden plot. Ran a 2 stroke blower to clean off the mower.

Grilled with charcoal to cook the steak kabobs, thereby saving a few lbs of C02 emissions from the local coal-fired power plant.
Tomorrow I will stack rounds of oak to split this fall for the winter firewood pile.

Basically I am carbon neutral at this point.

Not out to trash Ma Nature, but I'm anti-hippie greenie, so I had to do something.

Brush pile in the top field needed to go away before planting, so I turned it into some nice wood ash fertilizer. A little dry, but greening up out there already. Here's what I started with:

attachment.php

Just to be safe, I put the 60+ year old Farmall (non cat) and grease sucking IH 37 disk to work, and GASP - killed some weeds and probably caused the Ole Miss to stay muddy with all that bare dirt:

attachment.php

Take a nap, wait for late evening, and fire it up, just a little diesel and waste oil (1:1 mix if ya gotta know) got it going:

attachment.php

A while, and a couple cold beers later, it was time to start forking in the edges, by this time the punky maple centers in there were going good and giving off more heat than I prefer.

attachment.php

I did see someone extending the finger to environmentalism in general, had to be burning tires, the black smoke kept up for a good 1/2 hr:

attachment.php

At this point, darkness, a dead batt in the camera, and the need to get up and go to work again today caused me to finish pushing the brush in and call it a night.

If this causes global warming, so be it. I'll be at the beach!

I celebrated Earth Day by felling six trees, limbing and bucking them into firewood, letting my F-350 (diesel) idle for a substantial part of the day, running a Cat D3G dozer to pulverize some cedar I pushed down, and pushing the cedar along with a huge pile of flood debris into a heap.

The evening was capped off with a bonfire on the pile, complete with beer, bratwurst, and burned marshmallows.... Best Earth Day ever! The most awesome part of the day was getting my new MS 361 and listening to the sweet, sweet sound of the screaming saw.

Not out to trash Ma Nature, but I'm anti-hippie greenie, so I had to do something.

Brush pile in the top field needed to go away before planting, so I turned it into some nice wood ash fertilizer. A little dry, but greening up out there already. Here's what I started with:

attachment.php

Just to be safe, I put the 60+ year old Farmall (non cat) and grease sucking IH 37 disk to work, and GASP - killed some weeds and probably caused the Ole Miss to stay muddy with all that bare dirt:

attachment.php

Take a nap, wait for late evening, and fire it up, just a little diesel and waste oil (1:1 mix if ya gotta know) got it going:

attachment.php

A while, and a couple cold beers later, it was time to start forking in the edges, by this time the punky maple centers in there were going good and giving off more heat than I prefer.

attachment.php

I did see someone extending the finger to environmentalism in general, had to be burning tires, the black smoke kept up for a good 1/2 hr:

attachment.php

At this point, darkness, a dead batt in the camera, and the need to get up and go to work again today caused me to finish pushing the brush in and call it a night.

If this causes global warming, so be it. I'll be at the beach!

Although their is an obvious affect on air quality in the immediate vicinity, burning wood does not create air pollution; the same amount of carbon would be released into the air if the trees were left to rot. Also harvesting older trees to make room for younger ones increases the absorption of carbon from the air. If burned properly, wood is an exceptional and environmentally sound fuel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back