Sick of random people starting companies.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't be worried about all the peripheral tree start ups if you are booked every day at what you want to make. They are actually kind of amusing to watch. Yesterday saw a new one working all around a big td doing all the easy stuff...name ...."Tree mend us" tree co. Give em 6 mos.

Wait... you don't take all the "hair" (as I call it) off a takedown before you break out the rope? I'm thinking bucket work, cut and toss type stuff. Just a little confused is all.

Dude, the city chips curb side brush where you live?? Sign me up!

A couple of towns around here provide that service. You get 15 minutes of free chipping and after that it`s like a $1 a minute or something. Once a month they come around, but the stuff has to be stacked very nicely or they won`t do it. Some places insist that it is bundled with cord.

We love it. Let`s us charge a more attractive price for the customer and we don`t have to bring the chipper. Everyone wins. :)

Dude, the city chips curb side brush where you live?? Sign me up!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Many cities around here do. Some have stopped though due to cut backs. Its a nice service a city can provide for its residents as long as they dont get taken advantage of. I dont know of any cities around here who will chip brush if they think it was put there by any one other than the HO. I will, and have, called the city service dept on guys stacking brush on the curb. They are gonna ruin it for everyone. Pony up and buy a chipper or a trailer or stack that **** in your pick up, IDGAF just dont put it on the curb. In my neck of the woods anyway.

Many cities around here do. Some have stopped though due to cut backs. Its a nice service a city can provide for its residents as long as they dont get taken advantage of. I dont know of any cities around here who will chip brush if they think it was put there by any one other than the HO. I will, and have, called the city service dept on guys stacking brush on the curb. They are gonna ruin it for everyone. Pony up and buy a chipper or a trailer or stack that **** in your pick up, IDGAF just dont put it on the curb. In my neck of the woods anyway.
Word. There would be massive abuse here in MA. But what else is new here....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You won't be worried about all the peripheral tree start ups if you are booked every day at what you want to make. They are actually kind of amusing to watch. Yesterday saw a new one working all around a big td doing all the easy stuff...name ...."Tree mend us" tree co. Give em 6 mos.
We have or had, a "tree mend us" tree service here. Haven't seen them lately though

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

A couple of towns around here provide that service. You get 15 minutes of free chipping and after that it`s like a $1 a minute or something. Once a month they come around, but the stuff has to be stacked very nicely or they won`t do it. Some places insist that it is bundled with cord.

We love it. Let`s us charge a more attractive price for the customer and we don`t have to bring the chipper. Everyone wins. :)

Insane,, Who pays for it?
Jeff :eek:

Insane,, Who pays for it?
Jeff :eek:

It`s a municipal service paid for by property taxes. At least the first fifteen-minutes is. After that, it`s out of your pocket.

And it`s only once a month. But we have had people schedule jobs so that we cut the stuff as close to "free chipping" day as possible. And if it means we don`t have to haul the chipper around at $1.50 a liter, and just do some lovely hit `run jobs where the customer keeps the wood and the town gets the branches, well that bothers us not a snoot.

Who do you think pays the salaries of the lazy bastard city workers chipping that brush? Sounds like you need to mind your own business.

Well I have an avatar name of affordable tree but my company is arbor care tree service. I have been picking up more business each month. I just hate paying for the insurance and breaking even every month and watching other guys get 3x the work and get paid in full and never finish the job. It is to the point that people get screwed over by these guys at such a cheap rate that when I come around to do a job the right way they just shut the door in my face when I say it is going to be $400 to prune a sycamore and clean up the storm damage. Then the other guys come in at $100 and spur the crap out of a tree and dot clean up.

Well I have an avatar name of affordable tree but my company is arbor care tree service. I have been picking up more business each month. I just hate paying for the insurance and breaking even every month and watching other guys get 3x the work and get paid in full and never finish the job. It is to the point that people get screwed over by these guys at such a cheap rate that when I come around to do a job the right way they just shut the door in my face when I say it is going to be $400 to prune a sycamore and clean up the storm damage. Then the other guys come in at $100 and spur the crap out of a tree and dot clean up.

You have to get the "smart" clients and nurture them. Some people....you don't want their work, it is waste of your time in the development and maturation of your biz. I turn people down all the time and sometimes price myself out of their jobs intentionally or insult their ability to discern a proper tree service to get away from them. They leave the encounter still confused but on a little higher confused level as a famous person once said.

Affordable, Arborcare, are widely used names in this business. I'd make sure there isn't a trademark infringement. The company right over the hill from me is named Arborcare.

you guys need to learn the WHOLE business to get the high end clients and buffer yourself from the door knockers. Cert Arb is the minimum but you need to handle more than just take downs. You need to remove the stump with no damage, intellegently replant if requested, diagnose and treat maladies with dose and timing, know tree biology and physiology, etc.etc., in other words...you need to be a skilled and desired arborist ....and it does help to be a real good listener, and eventually you become part of the ho's extended family they can't do without and look forward to seeing you.

Every company has dealt with that. The good companies persevere. People have to eat. You need to distinguish yourself from the hacks. There will be low ballers in any trade. They may have lower overhead bringing their prices down.

Tree guys don't whine, we get things done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every company has dealt with that. The good companies persevere. People have to eat. You need to distinguish yourself from the hacks. There will be low ballers in any trade. They may have lower overhead bringing their prices down.

Tree guys don't whine, we get things done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you would if there were too many of them and you had no work hardly at all!

That's not fair! Maybe they can pass another law that says you can't hire the same company twice, that way everybody that has their own business gets a chance! You know spread the wealth and all......

Latest posts

Back