"Easy 2 Start"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that we are all use to starting saws with a quick sharp pull. My Grandfather was from an age that started his truck with a crank. I guess if you don't want to crank the handle you shouldn't drive the truck. All my cars, and truck have electric starters my lawnmower has an electric starter even my 47 year old tractor has an electric starter. New isn't always bad I have a nice sharp saw that works every time & is very easy to start but it takes a lot of effort to run with all that pushing and pulling. My chainsaw is much easier to run but if you don't want to run a bowsaw you shouldn't run a cainsaw in it's stead. If these products perform poorly or break often thats one thing but to pan the concept seems short sighted. I also understand that some features may be service problems but we need to weigh the benifit against the costs. This is in no way an endorsement for the very old ( definition keeps changing) or those with imparements mental or physical ( those seem to change as well :) ) to run powerful and dangerous equipment.

I think there is a big difference between a chainsaw and a car/truck or tractor. A chainsaw you have to pick up and support/control its total weight and power, not to mention that the sharp cutting part of it is exposed. In cars we have controls with power assists to help maintain control of the power; lots of strength is not required to control a car, just some skill (which most people seem to lack but thats for another time :dizzy: ). The same basic idea goes for a tractor and most self propelled lawnmowers. As I said before, the easy 2 start thing sounds great for blowers and string trimmers because they don't offer the same level of danger a chainsaw does. I have no problem with my mother using a blower and think the easy 2 start would be great for her but think the only time she should be touching a chainsaw is when it isn't running. As for people with special needs, that would be on a case by case basis. Again, I really don't want to get people too up in arms with this post and am just trying to keep safety #1.

I've always found that starting two strokes had everything to do with technique and not much to do with strength. If easy-2-start is so bad, what about electric chainsaws?

I like the easy-2-start feature. It works pretty well. Can I start my other saws? Yep. Do I need easy-2-start? Nope.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get another saw with easy-2-start, but I don't consider the feature a negative.

Good point about electric saws, I guess thats where things get gray. To me they are not much different then using a circular saw, only someone that knows what they are doing should do. If they don't know what they are doing and/or arn't strong enough to handle the machine then they should use it. As for gas saws I just don't see how someone would not have the strength to start a 036 but would have the strength to control it in a cut. Thats just me though...now :givebeer: its the day for it!

worked on easy start today, pulled rope walked away and 15 seconds after walking away i heard saw turn over ! be strange to be in bed and hear your saw start up at midnight!!!:yoyo:
I guess that's good reason to turn it off when you aren't using it.

I suppose if the mechanism is not turning freely then that could happen - in this type of system you store energy while you are pulling and then it releases that energy (at a point you have no control over) and turns the crank. So if the mechanism for some reason fails to release the energy, it is still stored up and capable of turning the engine over at any time - this is inherently somewhat dangerous.

I have one of these systems on my McCulloch and my dad's MS250C has it too. They've both worked well and I have no issues using them once I got used to it. I don't have any need for them, although my dad got his when he was having trouble with his back which made it painful to pull the cord, even though he didn't have any problems holding and using the saw.

I have an MS 210c with about 60 hrs run time. The saw is happy with small homeowner tasks but doesn't like to be pushed hard. Easy2Start works well but adds weight and bulks out the starter side; flooding has never occurred. The tool-less chain tensioner is handy for small, quick tasks but is a PITA when flipping the bar because of the chain tensioner wheelie that has to be removed/reinstalled.

I have an MS 210c with about 60 hrs run time. The saw is happy with small homeowner tasks but doesn't like to be pushed hard. Easy2Start works well but adds weight and bulks out the starter side; flooding has never occurred. The tool-less chain tensioner is handy for small, quick tasks but is a PITA when flipping the bar because of the chain tensioner wheelie that has to be removed/reinstalled.

That fits very well with my observations! ;)

Latest posts

Back