"Easy 2 Start"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilsnaman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at my father's cottage this weekend and we took a boat ride over to my Aunt and Uncle's newly purchased water-side plot. This section of land is all wooded so they are building the dirt road first, and happened to be there working. My Uncle just bought a Stihl MS 230 CB-E and has been cutting away. He points to a down 25" DBH poplar, that failed at the root ball resulting in a very large exposed section of the root ball, and says "hey the tree man, how about you cut that up for me." Being family I respond with "where's the ear plugs" and pick up the new chain saw. First I notice the tool-less chain tensioner on the saw and play with it for a bit. While not something I would want on a pro-saw, it is a great idea for homeowners and the easiest chain tensioner to use. Next I go to start it and pull like I always do but being the "easy 2 start" saw two things happen. 1. It gives little resistance. 2. It has a very delayed start but starts right up. I must say that for a homeowner this idea may not be the best. As some have pointed out already, should a person that can't start the saw really be using one? I can understand, and fully endorse this system on a blower or small string trimmer but not a saw. How can someone control a saw if they can't start a 30.8 cc engine (that is the smallest saw Stihl makes with the easy 2 start)?

Since I use a saw mostly for homeowner applications and light to moderate storm clean-up, I think I'd get along fine with the Easy-2-Start system, although I've never had trouble starting any standard recoil Stihl. However, it's that tool-less chain tensioner that you mention that worries me.

I've looked that easy-adjust, tool-less chain tensioner over good, and I don't like it. I'd rather have the standard two bolt/two nut system. I was at my Stihl dealer Friday looking at the 270 and 280 WoodBoss saws, and the dealer kept trying to sell me on the easy-adjust tenioner on a 270 he had in stock. Despite his dramatic proclamations of how well-engineered that contraption is, it looks like needless trouble waiting to happen. Plus, is one bolt enough to steady the bar on a mid-sized 50 cc saw?

It's not "easy to start" - it's "easy to pull". Really easy to flood the saw (the operator doesn't hear the "pop" and leave the choke on too long) then almost impossible to restart it without pulling the plug etc... Should only be sold to those with a physical problem that prevents the normal starting methods. My 2c, and, we won't stock them in out store - way to many come back flooded.

I'd like Stihl to rename this "Uneasy Start".

As long as you don't flood the saw, easy2start works really well. I'd never flooded the saw before, but after reading the post I went and tried it. Yep, it is #$#$#$ impossible to start once you've flooded it. :mad:

Otherwise, I think easy2start works well. I like the feature. Would I buy a saw just for this feature? No, but I view it as a plus.

Vernon Tull said:
Despite his dramatic proclamations of how well-engineered that contraption is, it looks like needless trouble waiting to happen. Plus, is one bolt enough to steady the bar on a mid-sized 50 cc saw?
I fully agree, the tensioner is a glorified plastic wing nut that "locks" in place. How long do you really think the plastic will last? Just hope to not drop the saw with that thing flipped up.
The same basic concern goes for the start system. How many starts will that spring take before breaking?

gadgets

Let's stir things up a little. How long ago did the adjuster come out? It has been awhile. I have not had to repair any, and they sold pretty well.

The easy to start, to early to tell. I repaired 1 rope so far. Can't say I had any flooding problems, but I tell the customers to only pull about three times cold. Works so far.

But, heck, I think 29s are OK. Fumes.:dizzy:

The quick chain tensioner thing didn't seem too bad an idea when I bought the 180, but it is a bit of a pain really.

With all the PPE and other crud one carries with a saw, lugging a scrench isn't a big ask.

I'm not downing the Stihl dealer that I dealt with last Friday; he's just doing what he can to move the inventory that he has on out the door. I'd do the same if I were in his position. But, I don't want the quick chain adjuster on the 270; I want the standard two-bolt/two-nut setup.

When I told him that, he didn't want to order me a standard 270 but kept trying to push that unit with the flimsy-looking quick adjuster. He said, truthfully I'd guess, that he couldn't order any more Stihl products until he has a full order of 15 units. He said it could be on over into the summer sometime before he could get me the model I wanted.

Tell him to order the parts and switch the tensioner over to the standard one. It's not that difficult. Then he can try to sell the QCA to someone that actually wants it.

Vernon Tull said:
I'm not downing the Stihl dealer that I dealt with last Friday; he's just doing what he can to move the inventory that he has on out the door. I'd do the same if I were in his position. But, I don't want the quick chain adjuster on the 270; I want the standard two-bolt/two-nut setup.

When I told him that, he didn't want to order me a standard 270 but kept trying to push that unit with the flimsy-looking quick adjuster. He said, truthfully I'd guess, that he couldn't order any more Stihl products until he has a full order of 15 units. He said it could be on over into the summer sometime before he could get me the model I wanted.

Assuming everything else is equal (credit, etc) he can order one unit at a time... but just doesn't want to pay freight... Don't you have another dealer? If we don't want to order something which for example only comes in pairs, we just spit the markup (what little here is) with another local dealer who has one. At least the customer is happy. Example would be wacky versions of line trimmers that we don't want to carry the second unit of the pair.

stihltech said:
Let's stir things up a little. How long ago did the adjuster come out? It has been awhile. I have not had to repair any, and they sold pretty well.

Have you sold most of the quick adjuster saws to home-owners or pro's?

Pilsnaman said:
I fully agree, the tensioner is a glorified plastic wing nut that "locks" in place. How long do you really think the plastic will last? Just hope to not drop the saw with that thing flipped up.
The same basic concern goes for the start system. How many starts will that spring take before breaking?

How long, well lets see here. In the past few years I've sold well over a 200 saws with that quick chain adjuster, mostly 180's, 210's and 250's. How many have come back broken or need repair?, none. As for the EZ starters I've sold many of those too and to date have yet to touch one. Have sold tons of FS45 and FS55 timmers with the EZ starter and to date have not touched one. I myself got a 025 out in the shed that has the quick chain adjuster and its over 6 years old and to date its been perfect. I do however make it a point to tell each customer that buys one that there's no need to tighten the chain adsjuster down with brute force or yank the EZ starter with all the muscle they got. When used properly these items seem to hold up fine. I can't say anything negative till I see one break and so far I've yet to see one do that.
I have seen some flooding issues with the EZ starters but operator error is not the fault of the starter. They seem to miss hearing the engine fire with the EZ starter and leave the choke on and keep pulling the rope. Once again though with alittle instruction they get it down pat. My advise to them is you really need to listen for the engine sputter when using a EZ starter.
Do I like either of those items, not really. I too perfer the two bolt bar system and standard starter but of all the quick chain adjuster and EZ start models I've sold, I've yet to get one single complaint or break down with either item.

sales

Quick adjusters are for homeowners, as are easy to starts. But don't forget how big a market they are.
You can look down your nose at them and lose sales, or reap some profit.

Your choice.

stihltech said:
Quick adjusters are for homeowners, as are easy to starts. But don't forget how big a market they are.
You can look down your nose at them and lose sales, or reap some profit.

Your choice.

Quick adjusters are fine for homeowners, but we don't loose any sales by not stocking the "easy start" versions of anything... just have to demonstrate how easy it is to start their desired device... without the contraption.

accessuries

The internet shopper must not have reached you yet,
We have more and more and more customers who have shopped on the internet and know what model they want and are looking for the extras, I have had 3 in the last week looking for the triple chain brake.

You can steer all you want, but don't ever make them feel they are wrong.

Ha, we live in the middle of hi-tech hell (you'ver heard of Microsoft?)... They are all internet browsing shoppers - they often come in loaded with web site Q@A... However, if they are browsing features on the internet, they aren't saw/trimmer/blower savvy, so we spend the time to educate them.. I guess you can say "we're not a box store".

Nothing wrong with explaining their options, and telling them if they are wrong (or should I say "there are other considerations they may not have taken into account"). We sell the right product for the needs, not the wrong... Don't get any (more) sales problems because of it and do them a service, and once they are in the store, they generally buy. If they really want something we don't stock, we have it in my the next morning (on advantage to being near a Stihl warehouse) or get it from another dealer.

If the tool-less chain adjuster really doesnt seem to break then I have no problem with it, great for the average home-ower. Using the saw last weekend, I found it very easy to use and liked being able to adjust on the fly. With the nut and bold setup I find myself often seeing a bit of extra slack in my chain and saying to myself I can get these last couple of cuts in. As for the easy 2 start I still have a problem with the idea of someone using a chainsaw when they are not strong enough to start it. My wife is 5'6" and 110 lbs and even she can start a 036, so she can use it in my book. I am really not trying to start an argument and hope no one takes it that way. Just, IMHO I don't think someone should be using a saw they are not strong enough to start, I don't really see how the person could maintain proper control.

Pilsnaman said:
If the tool-less chain adjuster really doesnt seem to break then I have no problem with it, great for the average home-ower. Using the saw last weekend, I found it very easy to use and liked being able to adjust on the fly. With the nut and bold setup I find myself often seeing a bit of extra slack in my chain and saying to myself I can get these last couple of cuts in. As for the easy 2 start I still have a problem with the idea of someone using a chainsaw when they are not strong enough to start it. My wife is 5'6" and 110 lbs and even she can start a 036, so she can use it in my book. I am really not trying to start an argument and hope no one takes it that way. Just, IMHO I don't think someone should be using a saw they are not strong enough to start, I don't really see how the person could maintain proper control.

Pilsnaman I just posted a story about a dear little old lady last week that fits your idea to a T. I agree with you about being able to control the saw but if you look at some of the replies that story got you will see its a very touchy subject. Check out the Story of the Day post and give your thoughts on it.

I am tired of bashing the Easy2start (and Huskys version of it), and the QCA/QSS, as complicated solutions to non-existent problems, so I won't do that in this tread (but I still mean what I have stated earlier). :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

It really is quite simple with the start help - if you want it for any other reason than disabled/injured hands, you probably should refrain from getting the saw at all.

Last edited:
Back