Ebay has some competition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that it's a good thing to give ebay some competition, paypal too, as far as I'm concerned. I just mentioned it hasn't happened yet. But you won't be giving them any competition if you follow them with their fees. It's actually the fees why most of us are leaving. Ebay would do fine with just a 5% fee for selling our things because it's the seller who does all the work anyway. All ebay does is provide a web page to do your posting in. I also don't think paypal should charge you to put your money in and then charge you again to take it out. They've been the only game in town..doesn't mean we have to play that game!!

Yea, monopolys suck. Just like Appalichain electric CO. (AEP).

Thats who controls the electric power in this region. And because theyre the only ones, they can charge what they want and do what they want.

And what would you have to do to stop them? You would have to start up another electric company, then run all the electric lines and everything else. How could anyone do that? Thats why the Government should limit the amount of money these pricks take from us. But we all know thats not going to happen.

Pretty much what I was trying to get at is, even if you can eventually compete with ebay, can you hold off when Ebay eventually tries to buy you out? And can you stick to your word on your low rates and not end up flopping on us like Ebay has?

can you hold off when Ebay eventually tries to buy you out? And can you stick to your word on your low rates and not end up flopping on us like Ebay has?

Anthony_Va.

The answer is yes and no...NO I will NOT sell out to ebay. They really peeved me off after the VA TECH shooting and said that you cannot sell any more brass or slugs (bullet making stuff) anymore. And YES the rates will always remain AS LOW AS POSSIBLE. There will be a time (far down the road) when the rates may need to go up a bit to keep up with inflation or technology upgrades. I do PROMISE that they will never be large hikes either. But I cannot promise (and please don't let this turn you off) that the rates will stay the same as they are right now. I am only talking a few cents here and a few cents there...the end of auction fee (1%) will remain the same for a long while. That much I will say.

Take care,
Todd

Yea, monopolys suck. Just like Appalichain electric CO. (AEP).

Thats who controls the electric power in this region. And because theyre the only ones, they can charge what they want and do what they want.

And what would you have to do to stop them? You would have to start up another electric company, then run all the electric lines and everything else. How could anyone do that? Thats why the Government should limit the amount of money these pricks take from us. But we all know thats not going to happen.

Pretty much what I was trying to get at is, even if you can eventually compete with ebay, can you hold off when Ebay eventually tries to buy you out? And can you stick to your word on your low rates and not end up flopping on us like Ebay has?

Actually, I think the utility companies are controlled by a regulatory commission, at least around here. I think they are everywhere but not sure.
That's not to say that the rates don't go up...I don't know how some people can afford to pay $200 a month for electricity, that's close to what mine was last month due to the hot weather but we are very conservative compared to some around here. We've actually cut back a bit since we got that bill.
But in a true monopoly you can call the shots, like in the Senate where they can give themselves a pay raise anytime they want.

Actually, I think the utility companies are controlled by a regulatory commission, at least around here. I think they are everywhere but not sure.
That's not to say that the rates don't go up...I don't know how some people can afford to pay $200 a month for electricity, that's close to what mine was last month due to the hot weather but we are very conservative compared to some around here. We've actually cut back a bit since we got that bill.
But in a true monopoly you can call the shots, like in the Senate where they can give themselves a pay raise anytime they want.

Mine can get around 3-400 sometimes in the winter. Thats when they usually raise there rates too. You are right. The government can regulate them, but usually don't do a good job of it. They give us 12-15% raises in rate around here two or three times a year, then they will give us one or two 5% drops to make us feel better.

Kind of like a reach around I suppose. :)

I think sawbid.com will take off if we just start to list things. If there is a reasonable reserve on parts etc., how can you go wrong? It's a great idea. Chainsaw specific, you can't lose.
John

Texas Traveler,
Well I tried to register twice & gave up, still don't have a clue what it wanted.

Could you please elaborate a little more than that please? Did you receive the confirmation/activation email and click on the link that is within it? I would like to help you out on this instead of seeing you "give up".

Take care,
Todd

Texas Traveler,

Could you please elaborate a little more than that please? Did you receive the confirmation/activation email and click on the link that is within it? I would like to help you out on this instead of seeing you "give up".

Take care,
Todd

I filled in the complete form & hit register.
It kept kicking the form back that I was in error.

But no mention of what I was doing wrong, but in hindsight I will ask my wife to fill the form out.

She has a higher IQ then I.
It could be a simple problem such as my password

Or the paypal question could be the sticking point, we are a major user.

I filled in the complete form & hit register.
It kept kicking the form back that I was in error.

But no mention of what I was doing wrong, but in hindsight I will ask my wife to fill the form out.

She has a higher IQ then I.
It could be a simple problem such as my password

Or the paypal question could be the sticking point, we are a major user.

It was a simple fix, before I could not get the full date & year of my birth in.

Just registered today too, hoping to find a decent saw, just missed what sounded to be a good 066 yesterday for $425, I'll have to keep my eyes open...

Back