Ebay: Stihl saws from Hungry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.

240 41.6cc 2.9 BHP 4.7KGS
260 50.2cc 3.5 BHP 4.8KGS

Beat you to it Sawtroll :laugh:

Guess it's not a big seller in the PNW :biggrinbounce2:

The 240 is not on the US sales list, nor have I ever seen one for sale here (new). Is it listed as a pro model saw?

The 240 is not on the US sales list, nor have I ever seen one for sale here (new). Is it listed as a pro model saw?

Yes it's listed as a pro saw in the UK all the same features as the 260 but no decomp valve.

We only have onve version of the 260 on sale here and they have the decomp valve as standard. I think you have 2 types of 260....an ordinary and "pro" version.

Yes it's listed as a pro saw in the UK all the same features as the 260 but no decomp valve.

We only have onve version of the 260 on sale here and they have the decomp valve as standard. I think you have 2 types of 260....an ordinary and "pro" version.

Yep. The ordinary version of the 260 has no decomp, and also has no adjustable oiler. Seems odd that a so-called pro saw would be available w/o the adjustable oiler. Even the 290 boat anchor has an adjustable oiler.

All's well that oils well (in Texas, oil sounds like all). Oops, I made thins into an oil thread! Sorry...

Bumping an ancient thread because I'm headed to Budapest, on the prowl for old Stihls. Will be there in a few hours.

There is a guy in Budapest who is legit - he sells a lot of vintage Stihl and a few others too. Have bought a few items from him; usually with good results. Sent him an e mail but no response yet.

Any other thoughts about what I should be looking for there?

I hear you can pick up Solo Twins anywhere for about $10. But I'm not a Solo guy. Sort of interested in a Contra S by at $20 these are twice what a Solo Twin goes for, and that's outrageous!

Before y'all blow up my pm inbox that last paragraph is pure horsesh*t. But I am really headed to Budapest. And if the long haired General lets her guard down, I'm going to stuff a vintage chainsaw into someone's suitcase...

If you want some nostalgia, try looking up some Soviet era saws.
Soviet ones are usually two-men behemoths, but there are many others, for example those Polish Dolpima's with crazy color schemes and Romanian Metrom's and Retezat's.

Most Dolpima's were actually designed under contract in Sweden, I don't remember if by Husqvarna or Jonsered, and Swedish engineers and technicians helped the Polish government set up the Dolpima factory. Pretty interesting saws.

Soviet ones are usually two-men behemoths, but there are many others, for example those Polish Dolpima's with crazy color schemes and Romanian Metrom's and Retezat's.

Most Dolpima's were actually designed under contract in Sweden, I don't remember if by Husqvarna or Jonsered, and Swedish engineers and technicians helped the Polish government set up the Dolpima factory. Pretty interesting saws.

Those sound interesting! Although I'm not sure I can sneak a two man behemoth back in a carry on...

There's no eBay Hungary, but there's a similar site - vatera.hu. And láncfűrész is how you spell chainsaw in Hungarian. Looks like the majority of the saws here are Stihl, with Husqvarna coming in second. Solo's seem somewhat plentiful, too. From there, I've seen a few Jonsereds, some Oleo Macs, and AL-KO, along with the occasional Poulan and Partner. Didn't see anything worth buying yet.

Headed to a big flea market by the airport tomorrow; hoping to find something worth my while there.

Scott

Here's a Dolpima for $85 - https://www.jofogas.hu/bacs_kiskun/...esz_olcson_elado__62378361.htm#gallery_picl_0 - know anything about these?

That's a x90 series saw: PS90, PS190, PS290, PS390 and PS490. They all use the same engine but have several differences, such as carburetors ignition etc.
Despite having been built from the late 70's onwards they are basically a throwback to saws of an earlier era: they are big displacement (90cc), low on power, high on torque, slow running (6500rpm at most) and heavy. Your are looking well over 10kg for the powerhead alone.
These saws were engineered in Sweden and featured a lot of imported components, mostly used when Soviet technology failed to deliver satisfactory parts, such as membrane carburetors.

Dolpima also built the Husqvarna 280CD as the PS180 with very minor differences (no chainbrake, red color scheme etc) and the 281XP as the PS280. Differently from Tomos-built Huskies, they were merely assembled in Poland from knockdown kits sent from Sweden. These used to be fairly common saws but most have long turned into spare hulks to keep their more prestigious Huskie brethren running.

Latest posts

Back