echo 370 vs echo 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfe76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a chance to buy either one of these in like new condition. the 370 has a 16" bar, the 440 has a 18" bar.
the 370 has side chain adjust and easy access air filter. The 440 has front screw chain adjust and must take 4 screws out to gain access to air filter. I think the 440 has been made the same for quite a while and echo is going to replace it with the 441. but, wanted to get some feedback on which saw to get. Mostly heavy homeowner use. Want something dependable and durable.
Thanks for feedback.

You talkin' bout the cs-4400? The 440 and 441 are Stihls. I have picked up the 370 at my dealer and it feels great. I haven't used the 370 or 4400 but have read they are great saws......

Feels great but like a typical Echo, it lacks power. I cut against it with a 210 Stihl and it could not keep up.

Not STIHL

You talkin' bout the cs-4400? The 440 and 441 are Stihls. I have picked up the 370 at my dealer and it feels great. I haven't used the 370 or 4400 but have read they are great saws......

No...CS-370, CS-440, and now CS-400...all ECHO. From those who actually own the saw: I've heard nothing but good things about the 440 as well as the 370...I've never run either, therefore, I cannot offer personal opinion.

If you do an muffler mod to those 017 & 21 class saws get an adjustable weber from a 025 . Some of the saws did not have fuel trim and will run to lean.

I'm just worried about the front chain adjuster..... the saws I've had with that type adjuster has always been much harder to use.

I'm just worried about the front chain adjuster..... the saws I've had with that type adjuster has always been much harder to use.

I've never liked the front chain adjuster...for me...that feature alone disqualifies a saw...but that's just me.

"front chain adjuster" pain to use...I agree and I don't even use my saws but about once every couple of months. NOne of my current saws have them except my 011, but I'll keep that one till it dies.

"front chain adjuster" pain to use...I agree and I don't even use my saws but about once every couple of months. NOne of my current saws have them except my 011, but I'll keep that one till it dies.

If you already have it, you already have it. Once you decide what you like; there's never any sense in making the same mistake twice. However, nothing says you can't enjoy what you already have...run the p!ss out of it...then buy what you really want (this will always change with time)!

Have a chance to buy either one of these in like new condition. the 370 has a 16" bar, the 440 has a 18" bar.
the 370 has side chain adjust and easy access air filter. The 440 has front screw chain adjust and must take 4 screws out to gain access to air filter. I think the 440 has been made the same for quite a while and echo is going to replace it with the 441. but, wanted to get some feedback on which saw to get. Mostly heavy homeowner use. Want something dependable and durable.
Thanks for feedback.

You can put a side adjust chain adjuster on the 440 for around $5, the cover is drilled for it. Put one on mine. The 440 has a auto style round air filter that you can run a long time without cleaning. I can't compare the 370 to the 440 but the 440 cuts real good with lots of torque. Sure is funny how Mr Mow has run every Echo saw out there when he hates them so much. If you could get a Cs520 for a little more they really cut fast and are light. Steve

Thanks to all....I'll give you all an update if the guy still has them today.....thanks so much!

No...CS-370, CS-440, and now CS-400...all ECHO. From those who actually own the saw: I've heard nothing but good things about the 440 as well as the 370...I've never run either, therefore, I cannot offer personal opinion.

My bad, I googled it and only came up with a 4400. The dealer also had one of those too(4400). I knew the 441 was not a Echo.:cheers:

well I got the 440 for $150. It is brand new....never had gas or oil in it....woman says it was husband's gift 3 yrs ago but he never used it....
thanks again for all feedback...you guys are great.

Cs-440

well I got the 440 for $150. It is brand new....never had gas or oil in it....woman says it was husband's gift 3 yrs ago but he never used it....

Good for you, I think they sell for $299.95 at the Echo dealer and at Home Depot. Of course, they can be had on ebay too. Good buy...send feedback after you've done some cutting.

Heck of a price for a quality saw. It would be a good idea to have the carb adjusted as lots of saws are set to lean from the factory thanks to EPA. Also pick up that side adjuster if you get to the dealer. Don't be running gas with ethonal as that makes them run even leaner and goes bad fast. Steve

thanks steve..do I just adjust the H or the L also to make it richer (I asssume I tighten it counterclockwise to richen it)....what is best way to get out those red plug restrictors, and do I cut the "tabs" off them and put them back in? thanks so much.

thanks steve..do I just adjust the H or the L also to make it richer (I asssume I tighten it counterclockwise to richen it)....what is best way to get out those red plug restrictors, and do I cut the "tabs" off them and put them back in? thanks so much.

Take a flashlight so you can see where the tabs on the limiter caps line up with the slot on the carb body to come out. After you have found the slot, thread a very small screw into the limiter cap and use some needle nose pliers to pull it out. My cs-346 was a pita.......

Back