echo 670 vs stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echo670

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have an echo 670 was thinking of selling it and getting a stihl 460 what emissions junk is on the 460 saw the last stihl i owned was a 046so i dont know bout the newer stuff with emissions and body own one

Louder than stock what? The 460 is an 046 for all practical purposes, save for the muffler opening getting shrunk down to the size of a #2 pencil. If you are using that as your baseline for "louder than stock", I think you're looking at it wrong. Open up the outlet to ~5/8" as it used to be, maybe throw a factory DP front cover on, and then you've got the saw back to where it was supposed to be before the EPA got to it. Will it be a hair louder than it was with the #2 pencil-sized muffler outlet? Sure, but not significantly louder, and definitely not enough to recommend NOT opening it back up to the way it used to be/ought to be.

Get a 460, put the DP muffler or MM it yourself. It will then beat that 670 like a red-headed step-child riding a rented mule...but you will have to change your user name (not a problem, can be done).

yeah a 1000 bucks later i guess my echo 670 isnt worth much

i know fellas on here said port muffler that exts the side it looks like its hard to mod i looked at it

i have an echo 670 was thinking of selling it and getting a stihl 460 what emissions junk is on the 460 saw the last stihl i owned was a 046so i dont know bout the newer stuff with emissions and body own one
Just do that, the 670 is a dud for power to weight, with just 4.4 hp. ;)

If you want a saw as quiet as your echo, you had better buy another echo. Quietest dern saws I have ever run, that is why I sold them and bought McCullochs.

i know fellas on here said port muffler that exts the side it looks like its hard to mod i looked at it

You only need to make the existing hole in the MS460 bigger than it comes from the factory. All that is needed is to remove the muffler from the saw, 4 screws Torx 27 drive. Remove the spark screen by bending the two metal tabs that hold it in place, then make that little 3/8" hole a fair bit bigger. 5/8' to 3/4" diameter is about where the power starts coming back to these saws. Replace your spark screen, bend the metal tabs to hold it in place and remount the muffler to the engine. Have the carb retuned by someone who really knows how and that 460 will be like holding two 670 Echosin your hands powerwise.

what is the 460 and the 461 rated at hp wise actual horse par not factory numbers

Latest posts

Back