Echo CS-400 P/C Upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i thought your thread a while back was about the cs-440, not the 400?
i recall mentioning that the 520 engine assembly would drop on the frame with little or no mods.... that was before the 'echo police' here jumped in and told me i was wrong (i wasn't :) ).

on topic:
OP, you need to go to the echo website and sift through the IPLs like i did and start comparing part numbers with saws close to the 400 in the lineup. find one whos frame and oiler, especially, will interchange and then look at the other peripheral parts.

08f150:
i am not real familiar with the 400 but i can tell you the 440 and 520 are clamshells too... but in a non conventional way. the clamshell is three pieces. the cylinder on the 440 and 520 is removeable from both the lower clamshell and from an upper clamshell that carries the bearings. the cylinder can easily be turned down and the piston turned for a pop-up.
if the 400 follows suit then.............................................

Volks, the Echo police are back, I was wrong about the 440 and 520 engine not fitting in the same saw, they do but are 2 different engines with to 440 being the only one I've found with the 3 piece clamshell and the 520 being a 2 piece clamshell. I've found with a muff modd the CS440 is just so so, the CS520 is a little high RPM hot rod that has torque also, the CS400 while not being as high RPM as the 520 cuts fast with the NK chain and huge torque for 40 cc's Steve

"Thanks for the info Cliff, I am not sure why more folks dont like Echo. I still plan on getting one for leaving in truck."

Mostly from them making some pathetically underpowered reed valve engine models, and older designs with the spark plug down by the handle.

Some are OK, others just SO-SO, some models aren't worth the gas money spent hauling them around.

Echo started upgrading their line-up a while back with piston ported verticle P/C models, some are excellent, a few were just OK. I've owned just about every model they've made but the CS-450 and 600P.

The CS-440 is just OK, the CS-510-520's are EXCELLENT.

CS-6700's/670's decent, CS-800 wasnt' overly impressive and a HATED having a little rubber plug to remove to set the mixture and the flat air filter deal.

Best bang for the buck in a little limbing saw are the CS-370's/400's, IMHO. A LOT of them end up on Ebay at very reasonable prices, NIB. The downside is that you have to have enough ambition and intelligence to remove the limiter caps and give them some much needed fuel. The muffer mod is optional, but helps them out a bit.

I haven't managed to melt down any P/C's or get them to develope a "death rattle" yet, and I use them a LOT......Cliff

Best bang for the buck in a little limbing saw are the CS-370's/400's, IMHO. A LOT of them end up on Ebay at very reasonable prices, NIB. The downside is that you have to have enough ambition and intelligence to remove the limiter caps and give them some much needed fuel. The muffer mod is optional, but helps them out a bit.

Thanks for the info.

When I first bought my cs400 I thought it had pretty good power for its weight and only being 40cc's. Then I read TeamFast's Muffler Mod thread... that muffler mod made a HUGE difference. I just recently bought a 16inch bar and some 30NK bailey's chain. I think I will use the CS400 with the 16inch bar as my little limber that could, and then buy a Dolmar 7900 as my felling/limbing saw.

Unrelated Echo Top Handle question: Can anything be done to my CS-300 or my CS-341 porting wise? I think I might sell the CS-300 if not, and just muff mod the 341.

Adam

Thanks for the info.

When I first bought my cs400 I thought it had pretty good power for its weight and only being 40cc's. Then I read TeamFast's Muffler Mod thread... that muffler mod made a HUGE difference. I just recently bought a 16inch bar and some 30NK bailey's chain. I think I will use the CS400 with the 16inch bar as my little limber that could, and then buy a Dolmar 7900 as my felling/limbing saw.

Unrelated Echo Top Handle question: Can anything be done to my CS-300 or my CS-341 porting wise? I think I might sell the CS-300 if not, and just muff mod the 341.

Adam

not worth the money to port either one,, you might gain a little bit, i would just MM and tune them

+1

I'm not well versed in 2 stroke porting right to start with, and those models are pathetically underpowered and use reed valve engines. I'm not sure how one gets past the reed-valve portion to improve airflow, cylinder filling, and performance? It would seem to me to be a "brick-wall" in the effort to move more air thru them......Cliff

so I guess because of the reed-valve carburetor design its worthless to even discuss porting the 300 or 341 because reed-valve engines can't move the large volume of air needed to make porting these small tophandles worthwhile? I am pretty new to saws, and I got pretty excited after watching what blsnelling did to a ms 200t in one of his youtube vids. i know an echo top handle is nothing like a stihl top handle but i thought maybe if there was a will there'd be a way.

also, I think that video of the guy porting the cs-400 was actually this: YouTube - Echo cs 450 p 2
I think this guy is member here his youtube name is mweba1 and the video is of his nasty CS-450p it says 4 strokin' at 14100. wow thats some high rpm portin' fun right there.

keep this thread alive
adam

so I guess because of the reed-valve carburetor design its worthless to even discuss porting the 300 or 341 because reed-valve engines can't move the large volume of air needed to make porting these small tophandles worthwhile? I am pretty new to saws, and I got pretty excited after watching what blsnelling did to a ms 200t in one of his youtube vids. i know an echo top handle is nothing like a stihl top handle but i thought maybe if there was a will there'd be a way.

also, I think that video of the guy porting the cs-400 was actually this: YouTube - Echo cs 450 p 2
I think this guy is member here his youtube name is mweba1 and the video is of his nasty CS-450p it says 4 strokin' at 14100. wow thats some high rpm portin' fun right there.

keep this thread alive
adam
Yep thats the video, i thought it was a cs 400.

Can I ask why you can port a CS-450P and not the CS-400? I have a 2 Dremel tools, all necessary cutters and sanders, a dial caliper, and the need for speed. Is the only thing holding me back is that no one has attempted it on a 400 or the crankcase design, or what?

Adam

Can I ask why you can port a CS-450P and not the CS-400? I have a 2 Dremel tools, all necessary cutters and sanders, a dial caliper, and the need for speed. Is the only thing holding me back is that no one has attempted it on a 400 or the crankcase design, or what?

Adam

You can port whatever your little heart desires. But it would be more of a advantage on a pro saw.

Back