Echo cs-490 vs Makita/Dolmar 5121/510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs-490 or Dolkita 5121

• Dolkita

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Echo

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Had the cat removed and rim sprocket conversion. Few tanks through the saw.
Stihl picco full chisel chain and a good tune.

100% out of the box. Factory semi chisel chain. No carb tune.

Ported 490 with the same bar and chain as the dolmar.

Explain to me again...is the 421 stock as the video description says, or is it modded as your post implies?

In any case, everyone is intent on comparing the 490 to a smaller cc Dolmar saw (421), which is not even in the same class. A 50cc saw, is just that, its a 50cc saw. Helk, I wouldn't of up and bought a 5105, if my 43cc saw was a 50cc saw. Okay, its only a few cc's more we say, but logically speaking, the 5105 has nearly 25% more HP than the 421--that's a significant difference. How does the 490 stack up against saws in its own class (i.e., 550XP, 510, 5121, 5105, MS261, etc.)?

The OP is trying to make a decision that is best for him, not us. I wouldn't personally buy the Echo for the jobs I do, but that has squat to do with the OP. He has dealer support for Echo and isn't a professional in the field, so I recommend him to go with where he can easily have his saw serviced and maintained, if the need arises.

Explain to me again...is the 421 stock as the video description says, or is it modded as your post implies?

In any case, everyone is intent on comparing the 490 to a smaller cc Dolmar saw (421), which is not even in the same class. A 50cc saw, is just that, its a 50cc saw. Helk, I wouldn't of up and bought a 5105, if my 43cc saw was a 50cc saw. Okay, its only a few cc's more we say, but logically speaking, the 5105 has nearly 25% more HP than the 421--that's a significant difference. How does the 490 stack up against saws in its own class (i.e., 550XP, 510, 5121, 5105, MS261, etc.)?

The OP is trying to make a decision that is best for him, not us. I wouldn't personally buy the Echo for the jobs I do, but that has squat to do with the OP. He has dealer support for Echo and isn't a professional in the field, so I recommend him to go with where he can easily have his saw serviced and maintained, if the need arises.

Dolmar had the cat removed. Nothing was opened up. Saw was sent to me to port, didn't remember it was done till after the video was uploaded. So call it what ya want.

Everyone compares them because they are the same weight/price. Why pay for 40cc when ya can get 50 for the same price/weight.

490 holds its own the the pro saws. Is it gonna beat them? No. But it can be had for almost 1/2 the price.

490 feels lighter/better than my 261c stock it was a bit slower.

Once it was ported. It became faster. I sold a ported 346 in favor of the ported 490.

The 490 is the farm/ranch saw. The 501 is the pro saw, and is really comparable to the pro offerings from the others.

Op said the 1lb lighter was a good thing that is where the 421 came into play.

Imo it is silly to give up displacement for the same weight.

He should buy whatever feels best to him, or best dealer support.

Dolmar had the cat removed. Nothing was opened up. Saw was sent to me to port, didn't remember it was done till after the video was uploaded. So call it what ya want.

Everyone compares them because they are the same weight/price. Why pay for 40cc when ya can get 50 for the same price/weight.

490 holds its own the the pro saws. Is it gonna beat them? No. But it can be had for almost 1/2 the price.

490 feels lighter/better than my 261c stock it was a bit slower.

Once it was ported. It became faster. I sold a ported 346 in favor of the ported 490.

The 490 is the farm/ranch saw. The 501 is the pro saw, and is really comparable to the pro offerings from the others.

Op said the 1lb lighter was a good thing that is where the 421 came into play.

Imo it is silly to give up displacement for the same weight.

He should buy whatever feels best to him, or best dealer support.

Cool. That brings me back to my original point, which was if the OP was interested, he could pick up a Maruyama MCV 51 (Dolmar 5105 pro saw) for the same money as the Echo and have a pro saw with the extra power already-no fiddling, no modding and full warranty. But, after that he clarified that he doesn't have dealer support for Makita/Dolmar/Maruyama.

If I've managed to read correctly and not get caught in "chainsaw p3cker measuring", all of this matters to the OP, which if I'm not mistaken he has an Echo dealer and feels its best for him to go that route. That's a sound choice, so two thumbs up for him!

Cool. That brings me back to my original point, which was if the OP was interested, he could pick up a Maruyama MCV 51 (Dolmar 5105 pro saw) for the same money as the Echo and have a pro saw with the extra power already-no fiddling, no modding and full warranty. But, after that he clarified that he doesn't have dealer support for Makita/Dolmar/Maruyama.

If I've managed to read correctly and not get caught in "chainsaw p3cker measuring", all of this matters to the OP, which if I'm not mistaken he has an Echo dealer and feels its best for him to go that route. That's a sound choice, so two thumbs up for him!
NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER, MEASURE YOUR PECKER WITH A CHAINSAW!

This has been a public service announcement, paid for by Dolmar Enthusiast LLC....

I've had both the 490 and the 421. The 490 had the tube in the muffler removed and the deflector opened up. The 421 just had the cat removed. Originally I had them both set up with .325 chain and they were fairly close in cutting speed. The dolmar is now set up with 3/8 lo-pro stihl PS full chisel chain. Set up like this the dolmar will clean the echos clock every time and is similar in speed to most of the hotter 50cc size saws running .325. There's a lot to like about the 490 and a few things I didn't like. It has a metal case, roller chain catcher, rim sprocket, and good ergonomics. It has more vibration than the dolmar, the air filter gets dirty ridiculously quick, and to me even with the muffler mod it's just a bit anemic in stock form for 50 cc's. It also has kind of a strange annoying buzzing idle. The dolmar is just a much nicer saw to use. The master control switch is much nicer, it is much smoother in the hands, air filter stays clean much longer, I like the feeling of the EZ start system better, and at idle it just sounds like an awesome little hot rod. I am curious about the new 501p but looking at it and seeing as the same air filter arrangement and its still rubber mount av are enough to make me pass. I do like the Simplicity of both of these saws very much as there is no extra strato plumbing and no Auto-Tune

I’ve owned 490 and Maruyama 51 (rebranded 5105). The 490 had the muffler restrictor tube removed and deflector opened. The 51 had a factory jungle muffler installed. Both ran .325, .050, 72 20lpx chain. While neither saw was a hands down winner over the other I did have a preference. FOR ME the 490 handled better, I liked the 490 controls better and I did dislike the “easy start” system of the 51. Was the 51 a bad saw? Nope, well built machine but for my personal style and preference I sold the 51s and kept the 490. Try them both if possible before buying.

Yeah, the 490 responded well to those simple mods.
I did however grab a factory muffler incase a warranty arose.

People, I don't wanna come off like the safety police or any thing, and this may be obvious to most, but please pull the plug and drain the mix if you intend to measure your junk with a chainsaw.

Just trying to help.

People, I don't wanna come off like the safety police or any thing, and this may be obvious to most, but please pull the plug and drain the mix if you intend to measure your junk with a chainsaw.

Just trying to help.

I appreciate your concern but gas, even though its mixed 50:1 still stings.

There you have it

Do you want a Cadillac or a Datsun?

And I am now skeptical of the 501

Thanks for that review!

The best one in this thread by far

Unbiased and straight-up.

You are one of the most biased ones on here without ever running a Echo. Put that 3/8 lp chain on the Echo, muff modd it good , tune it good and let it break in for 10 tanks and it will smoke that 421. There are vids on here of Echo 50cc saws cutting right with the best 50cc saws from Husky and Stihl. Does the 421 cut as fast as those saws. NO. Steve

You are one of the most biased ones on here without ever running a Echo. Put that 3/8 lp chain on the Echo, muff modd it good , tune it good and let it break in for 10 tanks and it will smoke that 421. There are vids on here of Echo 50cc saws cutting right with the best 50cc saws from Husky and Stihl. Does the 421 cut as fast as those saws. NO. Steve
20180308_190559.jpgLike this? 16" 3/8lp perfect limbing setup and it will pull it burried in PA hard woods all day if I need it to. This saw was disappointng till it had 8-10 tanks threw it. I have no interest in the little Domar but a 7900 is on my want list.

I don't have a horse in the race, so my bias is limited to my opinion.

I finally actually looked at an echo or 4 literally a few weeks ago. I bought the 590 shortly after. I held a 490 and it was probably the best fit for me I've held, maybe ever. But it is obvious that the finish isn't as nice as the German/Swedish saws. The Echo's do look and feel pretty good. So far I like the static feel of the 590 better than my MS362, but it is nowhere near the refinement of the Stihl. And it vibrates a little. But I think I may quite like it. I am kinda excited to run it soon. It's possible that I may even favor it over the Stihl.

Based on the one review from someone who gives us some good and bad on each saw in question, I will certainly have to try a 501 before I give it serious consideration.

I'm not selling anything to anyone...

And buying a spare muffler and limiter caps to get a warranty claim through is fraud, btw.

Anyway, carry on selling the Echos.

Good saws probably, but don't try to compare them to the German or Swedish ones straight-up. They sell on price point, obviously. So do Dolmars, to a point. I have seen some Dolmars working in the bush, but never an Echo. Pros don't even take them seriously, as a rule.

Latest posts

Back