ECHO CS-520 - Deal or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troll, have you run the saw before? I assume that you've must have run it...since your answer is so definately against this saw. What's the down and dirty?

Or...are you basing your opinion what you've read? Just curious.

Thanks!

What I said; no reason to try one, when the 67cc version is rated at 3,2kW/4.4 hp (that was before they removed the power ratings from their web-sites)......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

with a muffler mod the 520 is no doubt a performer for the money. imo i think it is a solid built saw. pro series cyl. metal case relatively light. if you not pleased with the saw let me know:rock:

Last edited:
The dealer I bought my MS260 off is a rental shop. They sell both Echo and Stihl.

Last time I looked ALL of their rental saws were Echoes.

I am sure that if they were giving them lots of problems they would be renting out Stihls as opposed to the Echoes.

Buy it, run it, look after it, it will pay you back over 'n' over again......

My Echo's 25+ years old and still pulling hard.........

Echo - sorry, no.......... :popcorn: :givebeer:

They don't state the power output of the saws anymore, and that is for a good reason...........:jester: :jester:

Old fashioned cunstruction also......

This is one case where you are wrong 'Troll!!!

And also a case where the specs don't tell the whole story!!!

Once muffler modded ( yep it runs better.............and most guys here will do the mod) the CS-510 that I have is a real performer!!!

You also have to take a look at the price of the saw..............only a fool would turn down a saw ( provided said buyer likes the saw to start with) at a great price even if something else is better at much more money!!!

State all the book facts you want............but you are wrong in this case!!!

Echo Cs-520

Well...I went ahead and bought this saw as I had indicated earlier. A little about the saw; This guy had bought the saw in FEB 07 with the intent of putting it into use. He never did...the only time this saw has been run prior to my purchase was when the Echo dealer demonstrated it to him. He took it home, drained the fuel (because he thought it would be a week or two before he used it) and placed it on his shelf. Meanwhile, his marriage had been on the rocks for sometime, ultimately ending in divorce procedures, and he never got back to his saw. The saw has 4yrs, 10 months and change left on the warranty (I have the paperwork verifying) and has remained packed away in its carry case.

I bought the saw for $225 and took the pics listed below. Tell me what you think? The saw fires right up, has a quick throttle, and feels brand new...which it is. Of course, the saw will have to be broken in. It's a good feeling saw, sounds throaty. I still need to run it. I'm happy with purchase! I was hoping to get back to you all earlier in the day, however, a bunch of "I gotta's" came up and prolonged my response time. At any rate...judge for yourself and let me know what you think?

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

attachment.php
[/IMG]

attachment.php
[/IMG]

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice, adjust the chain and away you go. Just remember to feed it the best fuel/oil possible and sharp chains..........RESULT.........:D :D :D

Mr Troll If you type in Echo chainsaw au you'll find a australian website with echo chainsaw kw listed. They might be a little different saw as they're orange and have a extra no. CS670 vs CS6702. CS6702 is listed at 4.25kw =5.7hp Cs5102 is listed at 2.85kw =3.8hp. Not that numbers mean anything, it's the way the cut that puts a smile on your face. Steve

I came across a fella who is unfortunately (for him) in the midst of a divorce, consequently, he is selling a lot of his posessions. One of the things he is selling is an Echo CS-520. The saw is literally brand new...that is to say that it is an 2006 model and has not cut a stick of wood, the saw is spotless and runs great. He selling it for $225, it comes with a soft case, extra chain, spare air filter and two spark plugs as well as all the paperwork. The saw still has almost all of the 5yr warranty left on it.

Typically, I'm not inclined to buy an Echo...but this seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

What does the AS panel think? :bowdown:

Thanks,
OLY-JIM

Howdy OLY-JIM.

You found a good deal. Keep the chain sharp and keep up the maintenance and she will last you many seasons. My 510 is somewhat abused and I did not think it would make it through the winter but it did. Tuff little saws IMHO.

v/r

Mike

1st Run

I took the 520 out for its first run today. I cut about a cord with it just to see how it felt and I must say...it felt pretty good. It felt good in the hands and was pretty agile (powerhead weighs 10.8lbs). I will say that it runs a little different in the sense that it doesn't feel like it has whopping HP, rather that It's very torquee for a saw in the 50cc class. As of yet, the saw is not even broke-in...so I expect some improvement as this process completes.

I'm glad to have added this saw to the club, although, I had no planned intention of buying an Echo. I may do a muffler mod, but I'm definately going to throw some Stihl RS chain on it. With proper maintenance, I expect that this saw will do well.

Thanks for all the input!
OLY-JIM

Quick Update

I went ahead and put a 16" B&C on the 520 using Stihl RMC chain. The saw seems to really like this set-up. I was kinda curious about the difference between RMC vs RMC3. I know that the RMC3 is the low-kickback version and I've been told that it's a good chain (as is the RSC3), however, I'm wondering if the cut speed is that much slower than RMC or is it relatively similar (with just the added safety design)? I welcome input.

Thanks,
OLY-JIM

Back