Echo cs370

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuB400

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking about replacing my old power mac 320 with an Echo cs 370. Any opinions on Echo saws? I just bought a Echo trimmer and I'm impressed by the quaility. It all started by a friends rec. on Echo products, and he has older Echo saws. I would just use it for a limb saw,and I only cut about 5 full cords a year. Thanks.

I've got an Echo cs440 that I bought new three years ago and have been using it mainly for limbing and for trail clearing for atv trails. I did a muffler mod on it and it really came alive! They are really choked down a lot in the muffler dept. Got rid of the 18" bar and replaced it with a 16" which it handles a lot better. I have probably put 25 to 30 tanks of gas thru it and the only thing I have done to it is clean the air filter.They are a good saw when used for their intended purpose and are very reliables. They will leave a Wild Thing in a pile of wood chips!!!

I would spend the few extra $ for the CS-400 over the CS-370. Even better would be a metal cased 440 or larger saw. They are reliable if not stellar performers. A muffler mod and retune helps most any saw.

Thanks for the input. As far as getting the next model up, I have an old 610Mac for the bigger stuff. And for muffler mods, what did you do? Did it make your saw any louder?

I wish I could post pictures but I can't so I'll try to describe what my muffler mod consists of. I drilled a hole dead front center large enough for a 1/2" pipe, cut a length of that pipe approx. 4" long. Taper cut about 1" and bent that down a little so that when it is inserted into the hole it could be angled down so that the exaust has to swirl some to find the exit, I didn't want the pipe lined up with the exaust port as that was way tooo loud and also 2 stroke engins need a little back pressure to operate properly. then retuned the carb and it was ready to eat some wood!

My muff mod'd cs-400 is pretty fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcH2XbSqi58

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcH2XbSqi58&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcH2XbSqi58&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SilverFox,

Did you have to adjust the automatic oiler when you first bought it? I've had my CS-400 for less than two weeks and it leaves a small puddle of oil. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SilverFox,

Did you have to adjust the automatic oiler when you first bought it? I've had my CS-400 for less than two weeks and it leaves a small puddle of oil. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I didn't buy it new, and no it doesn't leave a small puddle unless I run it for a 30+ seconds out of the wood, then enuf oil builds up that it will drip a small puddle when you set it down. I haven't adjusted the oiler, it seems about right where it is, but the fool who had it before me flipped the chain catcher around bassackwards, first time I poped the chain off while cutting it whacked me in the leg, I was like wtf and looked and the chain catcher was reveresed....... (that got fixed, like right now)

I have a 370 and really don't like it much at all. Sure the saw feels good in your hands, but I'm not happy with the performance at all. The bar oil leaks out badly whenever the saw is running and I've never been able to adjust it to my liking. The chain tension will not stay adjusted and they are famous for shearing studs if you try to get them properly tightened. My 370 absolutely does not like to operate in temps under about 55 degrees and it really seems to lack power compared to other saws I've operated in the same size range. The outboard clutch is also a major frustration. ECHO trimmers and blowers are OK, but their saws just don't match up with other saws on the market.

Echos are good saws. They are durable, reliable, start easily and they cut well. They are a little bit slower than Stihls and Huskys, but not by much. I love my CS-520.
Last year, when I was first considering buying an Echo, I tried out my neibor's 35cc Echo and I liked it.
Id says its easily as fast as my Stihl 021 and started a lot easier.
Some people on here dont care for Echos, but I personally like them and when my 021 is worn-out, it will be replaced by a 35cc Echo.

I have a 370 and really don't like it much at all. Sure the saw feels good in your hands, but I'm not happy with the performance at all. The bar oil leaks out badly whenever the saw is running and I've never been able to adjust it to my liking. The chain tension will not stay adjusted and they are famous for shearing studs if you try to get them properly tightened. My 370 absolutely does not like to operate in temps under about 55 degrees and it really seems to lack power compared to other saws I've operated in the same size range. The outboard clutch is also a major frustration. ECHO trimmers and blowers are OK, but their saws just don't match up with other saws on the market.

Sounds like your carb could use an adjustment, also on mine I found that if you move the rubber plug in the air filter from the summer to the winter position it seems to start and run better (warms up faster).

As far as leaking oil sometimes it will sometimes it wont but I have found this to have been the case with all the saws I have owned over the years. The thing you have to remember about an ECHO is they are always pumping oil when their running so if you let it idle a lot after cutting there will be some extra oil to leak.

On the subject of shearing studs, huumm never had that problem over all my saw has been a good trouble free little workhorse that I enjoy using, but to each their own.

We have an Echo CS-370, and posted quite a bit of info about it.

Right out of the box it was WAY off the mark for carburetor settings. I had to add fuel everyplace, it wouldn't even stay running.

The airbox has a provision for cold weather operation, by moving a rubber block to allow some hot engine air to warm up the incoming air to the filter. Takes about as long to make the change as it did to type this.

The CS-370 is not an overly fast cutting saw, or a high speed engine by design. It is however, a very strong mid-range engine. I quickly installed a 14" bar on ours, which it is very comfortable with compared to the 16" bar it showed up with. Plus it takes the same chains as our CS-360T, which is also 14".

Recently, I did some timed cuts with our Husqvarna 55, Shindaiwa 488, and Echo CS-510, in a dried Cherry log, and posted the results. Made 5 cuts with each saw and timed them with a stopwatch, the Echo 510 and Husky 55 were dead even, the Shindaiwa lagging about 10 seconds behind for 5 cuts.

The next day, when we got down to a smaller part of the log, I ran the CS-370, just for fun, and timed 5 cuts. It actually cut FASTER for 5 cuts than the larger saws, the only difference being about 2-3" less diameter of the cutting material.

Those little low-profile 3/8" chains are pretty impressive, one wouldn't think the little CS-370 would even be close to the larger saws.

Ours responded quite well to the muffler mod, I added a couple of pics, showing the unique porting and the location of the catalyst which we removed. I opened up the 4 larger holes under the catalyst, but it's difficult to see them in the pics, then the exit hole and deflector were modified a bit.

As for the quality of Echo products, I have owned or own just about every single peice of power equipment they make or have made, and haven't had the first problem one with any of it. Our garden tiller, leaf blower and string trimmer have seen considerable use, as well as the chainsaws we own or have owned, and to date I've never replaced an single part on any of them.

The only problem I ever had was that one of our CS-510's was shipped without a filter on the gas line, so it ate a piece of debri, and required a filter added and quick carb cleaning.

Echo chainsaws in particular get a bad reputation for two basic reasons. They make/made a LOT of low powered/pathetically anemic reed valve engines, CS-300, 301, 3450, 346, etc. They are OK, but we've owned them and they are SLOW. So slow you can go back in the house and have another cup of coffee and a donut before they'll make it thru a 10" log!

The other BIG showstopper is that Echo is aimed at pleasing the EPA before the consumer. Without exception, every single saw we've got in here for repair or purchased, has required custom carburetor settings, ie, removing limiter caps and ADDING both low and high speed fuel. As mentioned someplace else above, the respond quite well to muffler modifcations.

I can see why they get some negative feedback in being low powered and smoking P/C's on occassion. Our CS-360T wouldn't have lasted through the first outing it was so lean. It spent all it's time on the rev limiter and was SERIOUSLY lacking it power until we added some fuel clear across the load/speed range. It's been cutting on nearly every outing now, and still hasn't developed the "death rattle" they are somewhat famous for.

Anyhow, my opinion, the CS-370 is a decent little saw, but it is just that, 36cc and a clamshell engine design. Decent power, both nothing overly impressive. FWIW, the CS-440 is a much better saw for a small jump in price. It's happiest with a 16" bar, the CS-370 and 400 are going to like a 14" bar much better....hope this helps some?.......Cliff

Nothing wrong with the 370, just have to adjust carb. Been running mine hard the last couple of weekends. No problems here. It'll keep up with the other saws out there of comparible size. I'd buy another one.

From Popular Mechanics:

Pros - It speaks well of the sturdy Echo that we turned to it for cutting chores during the test. It’s reasonably fast, easy-starting and quiet, and if you prefer an independent choke, throttle and an old-fashioned toggle On/Off switch, this is your saw. Although we’re not generally wild about nose guards on chain saws, we grew to appreciate the feature on this machine. When we were in the worst of the orchard work, up to our elbows in tangled brush, the tip guard kept us safe from dangerous kickback. When we cut in the clear, we simply unbolted it.

Cons - Okay, we’re whining, but the saw’s starter handle is a little small. Otherwise, the saw is almost perfect.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4283685.html

Latest posts

Back