echo cs400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfe76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chance to get this saw (like new condition) for $150...It is orange one, with easy access filter, side chain adjust, 40cc, 18" bar...
I plan to use it as a general purpose saw...not real heavy use. thanks

I have a chance to get this saw (like new condition) for $150...It is orange one, with easy access filter, side chain adjust, 40cc, 18" bar...
I plan to use it as a general purpose saw...not real heavy use. thanks

What is your question?

The CS-400 MSRP's for $299.95 at your local Echo dealer. Only you know the apparent condition of this saw, however, if it is truly in nearly new condition; you may indeed have a worthwhile deal on your hands? A lot of folks have posted very positve reviews regarding this saw's sibling the CS-370. The CS-400 has exactly the same features with roughly four additional cc's of displacement and weighs only 0.1lbs more (10.1 vs 10lbs.) than the CS-370. Of the two saws, I would certainly choose the 400 over the 370. Echos have an excellent reputation for relibility, although, they suffer on power comparisons when lined-up against their STIHL and Husky counterparts (pro saws - a lot more money). Good luck in your choice!

Last edited:
thanks for the thoughts...and that was what was missing in my original post....."thoughts?" I did forget to put the question.

I think it is a good deal for the money (saw is like new), but didn't know if I should invest in this saw or hold out for a good used stihl or husky or jonsered or one of the other more expensive saws..
thanks again for all the info...I am going to get it if it is still available.

Good deal go for it. I've heard that the echo line is going to change completely this next year or so. Echo isn't a cheap piece of junk. Those who own them 99% love them.

thanks for the thoughts...and that was what was missing in my original post....."thoughts?" I did forget to put the question.

I think it is a good deal for the money (saw is like new), but didn't know if I should invest in this saw or hold out for a good used stihl or husky or jonsered or one of the other more expensive saws..
thanks again for all the info...I am going to get it if it is still available.

You can always hold-out for something else...it doesn't mean that it's the right move? The overwhelming deciding factor is; does it fill your needs at a price that you're willing to pay? If the answer is yes...Buy It...if no...? If memory serves me correctly, you recently bought a CS-440 for $150, you may want to consider expanding your capability by opting for a 60-70cc saw? Nothing wrong with the CS-400 mind you...but you only have one saw right now...why not expand your ability to deal with life's circumstances? Just a thought!

oly jim, you have a good memory...I did buy the 440 and it works great....I was thinking of getting the 400 to leave at my mom's house for convenience.
She is always needing something trimmed up/cleaned up around her place..and it's difficult for me to carry my 440 back and forth becausea lot of times when I go there I am not in my truck... thanks to everyone for all the thoughts.

I like the CS-400. I've found it to be a very good choice in landscaping application and use mine often during work.

A like new saw, which you've seen in person, and probably tried out....for a buck fifty? Not a bad deal at all. Echo is a good, reliable basic saw, though not as robust as a Stihl or Husqvarna. I'd buy it:) .

thanks to everyone, very educational. I think I lost getting the saw...."he who hesitates...." My calls aren't returned....probably sold.
I'll post here if I get it....

thanks to everyone, very educational. I think I lost getting the saw...."he who hesitates...." My calls aren't returned....probably sold.
I'll post here if I get it....

Too much talkin...leads to a whole lot of walkin...empty handed! :rock:

echos cs-400

it would seem Echo is dumping this model or something, they're selling way cheap on eBay, or maybe they always did

With a muff modd and decent tuning a CS400 will embarass a lot of saws with more cc such a my 45 cc CS440, my 53cc Rancher 55 and was just a hair slower than a good running 029 Stihl that I sold. I give a lot lot of credit to the nk chain but those little saws cut good, as they come stock they are just average at best and if tuned lean like a lot are not even average. When they are said to be down on power to Stihl and Husky saws that is likely tuned lean with a clogged up muff. Steve

CS-400 from ebay

I just picked up a CS-400 for $141 shipped from ebay... I plan a muffler mod and de-tabbing the carb adjusts, richening the little beast up, then I'll report back after some time using it. I've read a lot of Echo users feeback on here, and they seem to love these saws... Sometime back in November, I won an auction for a like new CS-370. I have been teaching my son how to cut with that one, and it couldn't have been a better decision. He has about 10 to 12 hours on it as of today. The CS-370 starts easily, very light and easy to handle, and for a smaller cc saw, runs with good power, perfect saw for an 11 yr. old, he loves it, and constantly is asking when we're going cutting again... I hope I have similiar luck with my CS-400.

I'll post again after I get some mods and use on my CS-400...

Neighbor stopped by to look at and maybe buy my MS290 (I own one much to my chagrin). He was wanting something bigger than his CS400. He liked it. Then he said will you work on my Homelite PS33 and my CS400? Of course. Did a muffler mod on both and and tuned them. The MM on the CS400 cost me the sale of the 290. I will have a CS400 at some point in time and a CS600 have heard good things on them too.
Shep

Neighbor stopped by to look at and maybe buy my MS290 (I own one much to my chagrin). He was wanting something bigger than his CS400. He liked it. Then he said will you work on my Homelite PS33 and my CS400? Of course. Did a muffler mod on both and and tuned them. The MM on the CS400 cost me the sale of the 290. I will have a CS400 at some point in time and a CS600 have heard good things on them too.
Shep

Well.. if that means that it's possible to get MS290 power out of a CS400 (a lot lighter), I'm very anxious to get started on the muffler mod (considering I haven't received the saw from UPS yet...). My primary saws are a Stihl 034 (absolutely a beast), Husky 181SE (more of a beast than the 034), and an 028 Super... I have a few other Husqarnas' and my son's CS-370... But one thing I've learned from this site: One cannot have too many chainsaws :)

The MM on the CS400 cost me the sale of the 290.
Shep

Could you elaborate on specifically what you did to the muffler on the CS400 ? My Bro In Law has a stock CS400 that seems to get more use on the ground during a job than the other saws available to us simply because it's lighter and starts so easy every time. It would be nice to give it more "guts".
Thanks for any info.
Wayne

Back