echo cs400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mm

On my cs400 took out all cat part of the muffler made the openning the size of the deflector left off the screen. cut the limitting tabs riched up L setting about 1\4 turn & h setting about the same.there are post with pic of this; just do search because a picture is worth a thousand words. Do this mod you won'y be disappointed. Steve

There's a long thread around here somewhere about modding these mufflers. Very informative.

I had a chance to use mine for most of the day yesterday after removing the cat and opening up the inlet and outlet. All I can say, is that this little saw is an animal. I purposely put it in some wood that was "too big" for a 40cc saw. Maple and beech, which is pretty tough stuff in this part of the world. It was like a hot knife through butter. :rock:

Thanks !

Thanks guys. After about 10 minutes searching, I found the thread with the Powerpoint Slides by Teamfast. If I can get my Bro In Law's okay, I think I will try to do this mod to his cs400.
I appreciate it.
Wayne

CS400 arrived, and started

Hello all, I received the saw last week, finally got a chance to into it... The saw started and ran well when I received it, but it was dirty, very dirty, got the outside all cleaned up, opened it up, and found the area all around the carb dirty as well, and the filter loose (kinda made me nervous). Today I pulled the carb, cleaned out the entire area very well, found that a small 90 deg.325 pick will removed the inserts from the carb adjusts easily, but make sure it's pointed away from you when you do this (I ended up bleeding a little). I got the carb reinstalled and everything back in place, next... pull the muffler and start on that. I'll report back when I get more done. I think the original chain looks like a low profile 3/8, should I go to a .325 pitch? What do you guys reccomend? How easy is it to change the sprocket?
Thanks in advance...

+1. Stay with the low profile, but when that chain you have is shot, try the Oregon VX or VXL.

Just finished mine...

There's a long thread around here somewhere about modding these mufflers. Very informative.

I had a chance to use mine for most of the day yesterday after removing the cat and opening up the inlet and outlet. All I can say, is that this little saw is an animal. I purposely put it in some wood that was "too big" for a 40cc saw. Maple and beech, which is pretty tough stuff in this part of the world. It was like a hot knife through butter. :rock:

Tonight I removed the limiter tabs, then after my wife and I had dinner, ventured back out to my garage... I removed the cat from the muffler, and modified dremelled out exactly like Team Fast did with his... All I can say (just starting it, not cutting with it...) is I was very suprised how far I had to turn out the "H", but after tuning by ear... Wow! If this thing cuts like it sounds, it's going to be difficult to get the smile off my face. I'm finding that Husqvarna is slowly being replaced by Echo as my favorite saw. I'll give this a workout in the next few weeks just for confirmation, then I may revisit my interest in the CS600 as a possible replacement for my Stihl 034... Can't wait get to the woods... I'll report back how it performs...

I like them right out of the box. No tunin no nothin. I havn't heard a bad word about them in some time. Since this picture I've added the cs600 and have no complaints

Cut some cookies...

I'm in total agreement, mine cuts like an animal also. I kind of wished I'd made some timed cuts before and after, but I'd say it would keep up, comfortably with my Husky 353, maybe even out cut it, and at about a pound lighter, it's got me sold. I ordered a couple more aggressive Oregon chains, next, as soon as it starts acting like winter again (over 50 deg today), and I can get back to where I cut without burrying myself and my quad in the mud, I'll start the workout. I ran it for about twenty minutes today, cutting rounds out of 8" maple, and it never felt, or sounded like it was getting hot, nor did it bog at all, just screamed through every time. If she holds up to the test of time, I have a new favorite saw...

Oregon vxl

+1. Stay with the low profile, but when that chain you have is shot, try the Oregon VX or VXL.

Hello all,
I picked up a couple of Oregone VXL 18" low profile chains, and spent the day (blistery cold with biting wind) in the woods with my newly modded Echo. Even in the harsh wind, you couldn't get the smile off my face that started developing after my first cut. I can't thank all of you enough for the advice regarding this saw, it sounds awesome, cuts with the power of a 50cc saw (or better), even with the bar burried completely in hard maple never changed the tone of the engine. I've been upgrading Husqvarna's for some time, and currently working on a Jonsered, installing a large bore kit (52cc), and doing some light porting and a muffler mod, but I will most likely be selling when I'm done, as I'm doubtful I'll like it as much as this Echo...

Looking at the insides of a Cs400 I'd think there's no way it can make good power with rather small slanted ports but Echo must have done thier homework on this one the way it cuts once muff modded, it was just a hair slower the a good running 029 I had (17-3/4# vs 13##) and whooped up on my Rancher 55 bad. At 13# ready to cut this saw is a full 2# lighter than most 50cc saws. My Shinny 488 might be 14-1/2# but the CS400 will smoke it in cutting speed. Steve

I have been wanting to try out my 400 as well. It has been to wet and muddy at the place where I can cut. I gutted the cat and opened the outlet. The light weight and gobs of torque sure makes a 400 appealing. I also picked up a 520 on ebay last week. The caps were pulled but it was way out of adjustment (high to rich). Tried it on the woodpile at home seemed to run good. Would like to cut once with it before MM.

Bought a cs370 as my first saw. I cut a lot of wood with it. I dropped a good size oak with it as well. Never did have problems. I miss it actually, I ended up trading it for an older Poulan.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a cs370 as my first saw. I cut a lot of wood with it. I dropped a good size oak with it as well. Never did have problems. I miss it actually, I ended up trading it for an older Poulan.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son has a CS370 and, after cutting yesterday, was very inquisitive as to how I made my CS400 cut so awesome, actually he was more interested in how he could make his sound like mine... So there is a muffler mod in the near future for his 370, can't wait to see how it responds to the mod... Hope everyone has had a great weekend.

Latest posts

Back