Echo Disappointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are a hoot. I can’t imagine putting so much effort into trying to save a few dollars on a saw - drive an hour, call around, time a purchase?! It’s a saw. They aren’t that expensive even at MSRP.
For a saw I don't particularly need the option of saving ~$50 doesn't seem that funny.
Note that my "effort" to date has been checking Echo's website and writing this post

There is an art to bargain hunting and some people are deal-prone consumers. That was the topic of my Dissertation. One thing we discovered is that those who do not really need the deals are the most deal prone. Those who should be looking for bargain prices (low income households) do not shop around and end up paying full price far more often. I analyzed data from about 7,000 households nationwide.

On our forum's Tradin' post buys I must admit that I look for extras in the shipping carton when I buy a used saw, always looking for a chain or two. I even ask the seller to throw in about anything he wants to unload. I return the same favor to others whenever I sell a saw.

There is an art to bargain hunting and some people are deal-prone consumers. That was the topic of my Dissertation. One thing we discovered is that those who do not really need the deals are the most deal prone. Those who should be looking for bargain prices (low income households) do not shop around and end up paying full price far more often. I analyzed data from about 7,000 households nationwide.

On our forum's Tradin' post buys I must admit that I look for extras in the shipping carton when I buy a used saw, always looking for a chain or two. I even ask the seller to throw in about anything he wants to unload. I return the same favor to others whenever I sell a saw.
Its shocking how easily people hand over money when you let them think they are getting a good deal or are getting one over on you. I sold a Volvo...advertised it about 30% over what it was worth figuring someone would offer about 30% under what it was worth. Guy came out and was haggling...i tossed in the old broken turbo and a couple spare headlights and he gave me my asking price...[emoji23]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

You guys are a hoot. I can’t imagine putting so much effort into trying to save a few dollars on a saw - drive an hour, call around, time a purchase?! It’s a saw. They aren’t that expensive even at MSRP.

OP said he was "considering" buying a saw. For buying a toy out of toy funds, when time is not of the essence, why not shop around and save a few bucks?

If you have a job to do, money to make, and the clock's ticking, of course pay the extra $50 and get to work. If that was the OP's situation, I'm sure that's what he would have done and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

OP said he was "considering" buying a saw. For buying a toy out of toy funds, when time is not of the essence, why not shop around and save a few bucks?

If you have a job to do, money to make, and the clock's ticking, of course pay the extra $50 and get to work. If that was the OP's situation, I'm sure that's what he would have done and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
You've pretty much nailed it.

I will always shop around for a larger purchase unless I have a relationship with a dealer I trust. Searching the net for the best price would probably have been spent doing something equally useless like watching TV otherwise.

When I want a new Husqvarna I call spike and ask him how much. The last time I called him he told me to buy that specific model locally as he did not have as much wiggle room on smaller saws. I appreciate honestly like that.

I mean, It was very easy before to save 20%. I bought my saw and backpack blower that way. Both were planned and timed to replace both stihl units. I’m also waiting for the list for a new 3020 echo trimmer. Now it’s down to 15% and thus far echo hasn’t published the list. You call us a hoot for that, I would say you’re foolish for paying retail knowing they do this typically twice a year if you don’t need something right away.

Latest posts

Back