Echo leaf blowers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman39

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sunday, a friend of mine gave me a cord of mulberry firewood. He also gave me two relatively new echo leaf blowers to work on. He wanted more power. The newest blower had a cat muffler and the exhaust was really redistricted. I mm it and made it breath better but there are no adjusting crews on the carb! Wtf, does it adjust itself to compensate. Rep will be flying!!!:dizzy:

I have one of the new cat equipped blowers and I was thinking of making it breath as the muffler outlet is tiny, but I stopped before I started due to the carb. Are those tiny recessed screws adjustable with a special tool or are they permanently set as stated? I did remove one of the plates in the muffler and it helped slightly.

I hate the EPA, CARB and all of those nanny bastards!

Most newer Echo equipment have fully adjustable carburetors, but you need special tools. What models are these?

Idk, I will get it for you. I mm it but I didn't adjust the carb and it seamed to give it more power, just would like to see if I could make it a little safer and more powerful and dont want to blow it up.

Idk, I will get it for you. I mm it but I didn't adjust the carb and it seamed to give it more power, just would like to see if I could make it a little safer and more powerful and dont want to blow it up.

Most all of Echo's handhelds now come from the factory very lean, so you really need to adjust the carb with the muffler mod. The majority of the carbs have plastic plugs over the L and H adjusters. The easiest way I've found to get the plugs out is to take a small pick and heat it with a lighter. While it is still hot, plunge the pick through the plastic plug and leave it there to cool. Once it has cooled, simply pull the pick out and the plug will come with it. Be careful though, those hot picks can leave nasty burns.

This is funny... Old thread but wanted to post.

I found this forum because of chainsaws and how everyone mods theirs. With the help here and reading, I successfully modded my first chainsaw, an Echo cs-370, did a muffler mod, exhaust port, and tuned it.

I started looking at my string trimmer and my leaf blower/vac (also echo).

After taking apart my leaf blower and seeing a cat on it I was sad, and the exhaust port is VERY restrictive. I passed thinking I couldn't adjust the carb since I didn't see any screws on it. I looked at the string trimmer and that had the same exact carb, but appeared to have a different muffler. It did NOT have the cat, but the exhaust port was very closed off. I ended up opening the exhaust port up quite a bit. Continued to read and found out that the carb that Echo uses has a HI-jet screw that can be adjusted which is located directly under the primer bulb. Problem is they cover it. I took a metal pick and removed the black plastic cap which took all of 5 seconds. At that point I can now adjust the hi side of it. I must say that now the string trimmer has some balls.

I then went back to the leaf blower. Because the muffler opening was slightly hiding the cat in the muffler I could not take a hole saw and drill it completely out in one swoop like I did with the chainsaw. Instead I used several size drill bits and several different angles and attacked it. Once getting 90% of it out, I then took my dremel with cutting discs and did away with the remainder amount in what was inside the muffler. If I knew how to open up the muffler I would have done it that way, but it appeared to be welded together, so that option of cutting it open or splitting it impossible for me. About 20 cutting discs later I now had a bunch of dust and metal inside the muffler. I simply washed it out and dried it. No more metal inside the muffler! I then attacked the exhaust port and drilled two smaller holes in it compared to the two small slits that it had. Adjusted the high side of the carb and now without a shadow of a doubt the leaf blower is a lot better. Before you could kind of hear this hollow gulp noise out the exhaust port. Now it sounds like an actual motor.

Output is clearly improved with both. I wish they didn't use this carb but glad I found out that it at least as a high side adjustment. Lowside idle can only be adjusted via the setscrew on top of the carb, not an actual low/high side on the chainsaw.

So just incase someone google searches for keywords.
I have the Echo srm-220 and the Echo ES-250 leaf blower. I saw MOST improvement with the leaf blower!

Thanks,
-Nige

Back