Echo problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky288XP

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I recieved an Echo 300 for christmas for a climbing saw, the saw has about 4 tanks of gas through it. Now suddenly the dam thing will not start, so I bought a spark plug. After the new plug was installed the f#cking thing will not run once the throttle is depressed. So I backed the high and low adjust. screws to the max then brought them out 1 1/2 turns, still no luck. What can I do? Besides trash the gook machine and get a nice pretty german or swedish one.

Could be flooded. Take the plug out hold the throttle open and crank it about 50 times. It's worth a shot. Fuel puddled in the crankcase is a pain to get out...............almost wish they had a drain plug!

Husky288XP
This could be a long shot, but suppose that water is in the gas tank. The filter floats around inside the tank as does the water if any is presant. Another possible scereno is a kinked gas line.Water being much heavier than gas, and the engine will not draw it up.Hopes this helps, Ken

No my problem seems to be when i depress the trigger the unit dies out, making me believe that it is running to rich. But when you try to lean the mixture screw out it still seems to stall from running too rich, even all the way.

Originally posted by Husky288XP
No my problem seems to be when i depress the trigger the unit dies out, making me believe that it is running to rich. But when you try to lean the mixture screw out it still seems to stall from running too rich, even all the way.

That would be a LEAN condition.

If you dont want it I'll give ya $10 for it. Had one once, I didnt mind the saw, much, not much power, but great for trimming the hedges with when you dont have a hedge trimmer.

Rocky I do not abuse my saws, I have used Echos before and think they are a good saw for the money, but this is a bunch of BS that the saw is acting the way it is.

Howdy,
From what you're describing, it sounds like a lean condition. If your thinking it's a rich condition because it's spewing fuel out of the carb throat and soaking your air filter, you probably have a wood chip stuck under the reed. If thats not the case, and the saw is that new, it probably has an EPA carb on it. Those carbs have much finer threads on the screws and don't come into there own till you have 2 1/2 or more turns on them. If none of that helps, you need to get it to a Echo dealer.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
I have a bad time remembering model numbers, too many of them. If this is indeed a reed unit, I vote with Grande Dog.

And if I may editorialize, a wood chip in the air box is from running without the filter, careless removal of the filter to clean or removing the adjuster seal plugs. All in my book classify as user abuse. Certainly not the blame of any "gook". Maybe a, no, I won't lower myself to that level.

Wrong you have a piece of trash holding the reed valve open. Take the carb off and the reed plate and get the piece of trash out, reinstall and adjust carb. and you're good to go. Later Butch

Still confused as to why not just take it to a dealer for warranty work?
I would never start tearing apart a warranty saw the dealer is likely to tell you to keep it warranty is voided because of something you did. :confused: Saw might just be a lemon and you will get a another one

I recieved an Echo 300 for christmas for a climbing saw, the saw has about 4 tanks of gas through it. Now suddenly the dam thing will not start, so I bought a spark plug. After the new plug was installed the f#cking thing will not run once the throttle is depressed. So I backed the high and low adjust. screws to the max then brought them out 1 1/2 turns, still no luck. What can I do? Besides trash the gook machine and get a nice pretty german or swedish one.
Send it to me for the price of shipping both ways. But I will void the warranty

Back