epa, and new saw's comming out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONSEREDFAN6069

Wheeler McDealer
Reaction score
what's the deal with them changing the saw's? i understand it's to make them freindlier to the enviroment but what do you do if in 2010 you wanna go cut in a national forest and you have a non epa saw, do you have to take it to a shop and get it smog tested like they do cars? i know that sounds stupid but will they let you cut there with a pre epa saw or do you have to go and buy one of the new green saw's and be unhappy with it?

Here in the Pacific Northwest the only thing they care about is that you have a spark arrestor (and a shovel, fire extinguisher, etc.) if you are cutting firewood in the national forest.

From what I understand is the new EPA/CARB regulations only apply to new saws. You can still use an older saw on public land as long as it has a spark arrestor screen, which few of my saws do!

what's the deal with them changing the saw's? i understand it's to make them freindlier to the enviroment but what do you do if in 2010 you wanna go cut in a national forest and you have a non epa saw

Jred69, when I read that I thought "What do you do if you want to drive on an interstate freeway and all you have is a 2004 car that doesn't meed 2009 emissions standards?" :cheers:

we'll all have to get "gross polluter" stickers.
they will be applied to the saw and vehicle.

oh, and you have to BUY them, tax-like.

i have a 86 dodge 150 with a 383 750cfm holley and headers. i dont have to put it through emisions tests. just wondering about the saw deal. they seem to be more strict with the saws than vehicles rite now.

they're likely counting on a slow phase-out of the old stuff.
it's only the kooks here that will keep running all the older stuff.
kinda like classic cars. why worry, considering the numbers.

certainly, thay aren't gonna search everyones garage.

they're likely counting on a slow phase-out of the old stuff.
it's only the kooks here that will keep running all the older stuff.
kinda like classic cars. why worry, considering the numbers.

certainly, thay aren't gonna search everyones garage.

lol, ya, i guess. i just cant go to a cat muffler after running modded mufflers. i tried a buddy's and it sounded sick. like it was gasping for air and man did it run hot.

Here in the Pacific Northwest the only thing they care about is that you have a spark arrestor (and a shovel, fire extinguisher, etc.) if you are cutting firewood in the national forest.

The same rules apply in Southern California National Forests. Although, I have never tried to take a modified saw. Once, I was hauling wood and a gang of heads came in to take some oak, and those saws sounded crazy.

Rick

The same rules apply in Southern California National Forests. Although, I have never tried to take a modified saw. Once, I was hauling wood and a gang of heads came in to take some oak, and those saws sounded crazy.

Rick

cmon Rick all your saw's are modified. lol

I think Obama proposed a buy-back program...part of the CAA and Stimulus package.

:kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt:

As a side note...kinda....

There's a lot of talk in the diesel world (or there was) about the new 2010 EPA stuff.

If some of you are looking for non-traditional investment ideas. Stockpile a few 2008 Cummins diesels for a few years. They'll be better all-around engines than what will be coming out and guys in-the-know will gladly pay more for your unused crate engine than buy a new off-the-line EPA-choked diesel for their restoration or custom-build projects.

I'm all for the environment, but it is getting silly.

I'm young and it's already getting to the point where I'll pay the same for an old used XXXXXXX rather than get a new XXXXXXXX as long as it's not worn out.

Hand Tools
More Hand tools
Fishing reels
Guitars/instruments
Guns
Definitely Guns

Just the way the world is going..........EPA's not helping though.

cmon Rick all your saw's are modified. lol

LOL. yeah they are bro, but until recently. I haven't gone to the forest in a couple of months because of snow. But I'll be buying a stock 5100 and keeping it as is so that I won't have a problem.

Bro, that snowhotrod looks sweeeet:clap:

ya i think i may hafta buy one and keep it stock as well, ya that's my latest edition to the family. fast and very very fun. lol

Back