EPA and saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Seeing how newer saws are coming with one or more of the following emmisions related extra's for example,Cat mufflers , stratified charge , fixed jet carbs, auto tune carbs etc, What the hell else could they do to a 2 stroke saw to make it more :censored: EPA friendly??? I mean whats left to change? Is 4 storke or a 4mix engine about all thats left?:cry:

/

the dang epa has really choked them down,,thats the first thing i do is decat the muffler when i get a new one

Lean fuel/air ratios seem to be the main problem

No matter the brand, a scalded piston is expensive, and cleaning
lined cylinders with HCL is a PITA.

All that is a easy fix. Open up the muffler and pull the limiters and readjust your carb. :clap:

I dont think there is much more they can do eventually the carb would have to go to meet epa standards, wich means injection and not sure if that is even feasible in a chainsaw, so may start seeing 4 strokes instead.

If we see 4-stroke saws with low performance, we will see an exploding market for new and aftermarket parts.

How many times can one overhaul, say, an 026 or 346 before the cases won't hold the bearings anymore?

Imagine the can of worms we'd open if some government beauracracy then suggested it is no longer OK to service old equipment?

All the same, there have been some major advances in two stroke technology in the last few years; in some cases two-strokes have been made CLEANER than similar-sized 4 strokes. This is in the motorcycle world, where there is room enough and power enough to carry sphisticated valving, injection, etc. But I think further refinements are possible.

Last edited:
If we see 4-stroke saws with low performance, we will see an exploding market for new and aftermarket parts.

How many times can one overhaul, say, an 026 or 346 before the cases won't hold the bearings anymore?

Imagine the can of worms we'd open if some government beauracracy then suggested it is no longer OK to service old equipment?

I could see the government phasing them out, look at the cash for clunkers programs they have going. At least here in Canada they do.

30 years from now. 4 mix Chainsaws run on Bacon fat and alcohol?

LOL!! By then dropping a tree will require a hundred permits costing billions.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is called taxation. Like on cigarettes, now we have a twinkie tax in CO. They say it is for the betterment of society, but they sure do seem to like the "revenue" it generates.

30 years from now. 4 mix Chainsaws run on Bacon fat and alcohol?

LOL!! By then dropping a tree will require a hundred permits costing billions.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I think Tommy's working on a bryl cream proto type as we speak, Where is The King anyway have not seen him post for quite sometime?

Seeing how newer saws are coming with one or more of the following emmisions related extra's for example,Cat mufflers , stratified charge , fixed jet carbs, auto tune carbs etc, What the hell else could they do to a 2 stroke saw to make it more :censored: EPA friendly??? I mean whats left to change? Is 4 storke or a 4mix engine about all thats left?:cry:
/

What some people overlook is that cat mufflers were out there long before EPA was an issue - some cat saws from the "old days" are the 026C, 044C and 242xp cat. Back then, the cat saws were rated at less power and more weight than the original version of the saw, as they should be!

I am a bit pissed that so many on here seem to think that only cat saws are EPA saws - as that is far from true. Most saws sold in NA since about 1998 have been EPA versions, cat or no cat - it is a question of the level of EPA rating, not about EPA or not! :censored:

What some people overlook is that cat mufflers were out there long before EPA was an issue - some cat saws from the "old days" are the 026C, 044C and 242xp cat. Back then, the cat saws were rated at less power and more weight than the original version of the saw, as they should be!

I am a bit pissed that so many on here seem to think that only cat saws are EPA saws - as that is far from true. Most saws sold in NA since about 1998 have been EPA versions, cat or no cat - it is a question of the level of EPA rating, not about EPA or not! :censored:

So what was the purpose of the cat back then?

i've found some really nice saws that were scrapped for their weight in metal that just needed some carb adjustments. EPA has the manufacturers tweaking these carbs sooooo lean that eventually they starve for fuel. after the owner gets out of breath pulling that cord, he says "PHUUCKIT" and buys a new saw, junking a perfectly good machine. his "old" saw gets melted down into a toyota and goes out and buys another EPA saw. the pollution created from scrapping and melting down his old saw, then turning it into another gizmo AND the energy needed to make an entirely NEW saw, negates any pollution savings that EPA puts on the new carbs. so..... i continue to browse the scrap metal yard for nice saws. i then hacksaw screw heads in non-adjustable idle/run carb screws, richen the mix and resell a nice working saw, saving the environment one junked saw at a time. :clap:

What gets me is they screw up our saws but BP pumps billions of gallons of crude in the Gulf I mean WTF?:confused:

LMAO!!! EPA threatened our candy-ass, local leaders to institute smog testing on ALL cars/trucks (except diesels :jawdrop:). they put my 50mpg honda civic THROUGH HELL every motherPhuuccking year! without going into detail, i realized that this was noting more than a way to take money out of the pockets of the people and put it in the hands of garage grease monkeys. it does NOTHING to save the environment. they'd have give me a $3,000 to buy a modified dodge diesel that sends up clouds of soot so that they could destroy my polluting HONDA CIVIC THAT GETS 50mpg!!!

LMAO!!! EPA threatened our candy-ass, local leaders to institute smog testing on ALL cars/trucks (except diesels :jawdrop:). they put my 50mpg honda civic THROUGH HELL every motherPhuuccking year! without going into detail, i realized that this was noting more than a way to take money out of the pockets of the people and put it in the hands of garage grease monkeys. it does NOTHING to save the environment. they'd have give me a $3,000 to buy a modified dodge diesel that sends up clouds of soot so that they could destroy my polluting HONDA CIVIC THAT GETS 50mpg!!!

Don't feel bad. The same clueless hippie freaks declared that we had too much industrial emissions in the air and had to enact cut backs and the vehicle smog bull####. Problem is, there ARE no excessive Industrial emissions made here LOL!!!! It's the crap from Gary, Chitcago, and Milwaukee blowing over the lake. It took 4 years and millions of dollars for them to figure it out and go the #### away. IDIOTS!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The EPA has cost me near 30000 dollars and I am not joking, probably more; I wish I new a lawyer with balz lol.

Ok, Troll maybe not back then. But today the cat is for epa reasons it has to be. I mean I can't imagine the manufacturers offering both cat and non cat models to consumers with the choice of " would you like the model that runs cooler " or the model that runs too hot and most likely won't last as long" The cat muff is on a saw so that it can be sold to a market that has tougher epa standards say like California

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back