EPA and saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What some people overlook is that cat mufflers were out there long before EPA was an issue - some cat saws from the "old days" are the 026C, 044C and 242xp cat. Back then, the cat saws were rated at less power and more weight than the original version of the saw, as they should be!

I am a bit pissed that so many on here seem to think that only cat saws are EPA saws - as that is far from true. Most saws sold in NA since about 1998 have been EPA versions, cat or no cat - it is a question of the level of EPA rating, not about EPA or not! :censored:

Probably for recident environment desperados!

I believe that the EPA has been around since the 1970's which is longer than any of those saws have been, either way it is for the same cause. Regardless of who did what when and what their name was at the time, we still can thank the EPA for the cat mufflers we have now. If the EPA was not so concerned with reducing the carbon emissions of equipment that produces less than an infinitesimal fraction of a percent of the global emissions we would not have cat mufflers anymore, but we do. Then again we might not have strato saws either, but they are all to heavy and bulky and don't handle near as well as their conventional counterparts anyway right?;)

I believe that the EPA has been around since the 1970's which is longer than any of those saws have been, either way it is for the same cause. Regardless of who did what when and what their name was at the time, we still can thank the EPA for the cat mufflers we have now. If the EPA was not so concerned with reducing the carbon emissions of equipment that produces less than an infinitesimal fraction of a percent of the global emissions we would not have cat mufflers anymore, but we do. Then again we might not have strato saws either, but they are all to heavy and bulky and don't handle near as well as their conventional counterparts anyway right?;)

This. The EPA has been choking our vehicles for decades now. This is nothing new, and chainsaws are not the only thing that they are doing this to... motorcycles, lawn mowers, Semi-Trucks, Heavy Equipment... the list goes on and on.

Unfortunately, it is much cheaper and easier to go after a bunch or irrelavent small motors and vehicles than to go after the major poluters, which are the corporations with the mega dollar lawyers that can fight the government forever on the issue. Also, these corporations also give out some very fat envelopes every year to these politicians to make sure they go after people like us, with our tiny little motors and nearly no polution to speak of. Its all about money.

And last...dont call these new saws Obama saws.... Strato's and cat's have been around a little longer than he has.

I'd say that in a year I put out less emissions (cutting wood, mowing etc) than a damn Nascar vehicle puts out in one race. I think the EPA has bigger fish to fry than to worry about the OPE industry. Who wants to watch a bunch of cars go in a circle anyway? :confused:

I'd say that in a year I put out less emissions (cutting wood, mowing etc) than a damn Nascar vehicle puts out in one race. I think the EPA has bigger fish to fry than to worry about the OPE industry. Who wants to watch a bunch of cars go in a circle anyway? :confused:

Not me. And you prove a very valid point.

Remember, Nascar has some pretty big lawyers as well.....

I do. Nascar and drag racing sadly is next on the list to get nailed by the EPA. Trust me, there is much bigger fish to fry compared to Nascar.

I am afraid someday electric chainsaws would be the only ways to go.. "IF" EPA have things their way down the road.

Hopefully I'll be at ground zero by then, don't want to have anything to do with all these emission compliant junk.

I once owned a "hybrid" car as my user name indicates. Worst investment I've ever made in a car.

I'm not one who is for or against the EPA, but it is absurd to go after OPE as major sources of air pollution. With that said, I see more positives than negatives with strato two cycle engines. Yes for now they're more complex and heavier than standard 2 cycle engines, but that is already changing for the better, just look at the strato 372 that's coming out. It proves light simple strato saws sill will and are available. It also seems like the only people whom dislike Strato saws are people that have yet to run a strato saw. :cheers:

Last edited:
I am afraid someday electric chainsaws would be the only ways to go.. "IF" EPA have things their way down the road.

Hopefully I'll be at ground zero by then, don't want to have anything to do with all these emission compliant junk.

I once owned a "hybrid" car as my user name indicates. Worst investment I've ever made in a car.

Sorry anyone that buys a Hybrid is an idiot, It's nothing more than an easy way for automakers to sell cars to people that don't realize the concept has been around for a hundred years or more and it doesn't work. If they really wanted to change things they'd make electric or hydrogen cars, even Diesel cars are better than joke Hybrids. The only reason we don't have good electric or hydrogen cars is because oil companies don't want us to, just like insurance companies don't want us to have real health care. It's easier and cheaper to treat a cold than it is to cure cancer. :bringit:

Last edited:
I feel like most of ya'll. But I see no way of stopping it. We'll just have to find ways around it, LIKE ALWAYS.
They can put all the EPA friendly junk they want on'em and I'll take it off. Like the old sayin; There's more than one way to skin a cat.

At first I liked the idea of a small 4-stroker, but after running and working on 4-stroke trimmers. I despise them.
First off, the carbs have no meter adjustments at all. (Idle only)
The internals of the carb are plastic.
Extremely heavy.
Are under powered, with not enough RPM to engage the clutch properly.

I have 4 of them that was givin to me. And I refuse to use them or work on'em anymore.:chainsaw:

I hear Stihl has one out, too. I wouldn't mine looking and trying one of theirs, for comparison.:monkey:

It also seems like the only people whom dislike Strato saws are people that have yet to run a strato saw. :cheers:

I think the technology is great. Husky owns the patents through Redmax and for now I am guessing Stihl is paying someone some patent royalties IDK? The real question is, will the EPA regs we have now regulate the other good saw companies out of business in the USA and elsewhere? Some like Solo and Shindawa are already gone here. What other companies will be able to compete in the strato market? Who else can afford too? I would hate to see some of the others go because they can't economically justify producing strato saws.

Sorry anyone that buys a Hybrid is an idiot, It's nothing more than an easy way for automakers to sell cars to people that don't realize the concept has been around for a hundred years or more and it doesn't work. If they really wanted to change things they'd make electric or hydrogen cars, even Diesel cars are better than joke Hybrids. The only reason we don't have good electric or hydrogen cars is because oil companies don't want us to, just like insurance companies don't want us to have real health care. It's easier and cheaper to treat a cold than it is to cure cancer. :bringit:

That is another good point, modern Hybrid cars are biggest gimmick in the auto industry. Just the manufacturing process on those is terrible for the environment, not to mention the batteries don't last very long. I think we should be pursuing diesel technology instead, or work on improving the efficiency of the internal combustion engine. Hybrids are an over engineered solution to a simple problem.

This. The EPA has been choking our vehicles for decades now. This is nothing new, and chainsaws are not the only thing that they are doing this to... motorcycles, lawn mowers, Semi-Trucks, Heavy Equipment... the list goes on and on.

Unfortunately, it is much cheaper and easier to go after a bunch or irrelavent small motors and vehicles than to go after the major poluters, which are the corporations with the mega dollar lawyers that can fight the government forever on the issue. Also, these corporations also give out some very fat envelopes every year to these politicians to make sure they go after people like us, with our tiny little motors and nearly no polution to speak of. Its all about money.

And last...dont call these new saws Obama saws.... Strato's and cat's have been around a little longer than he has.

Don't ever forget about the number of voters affected!!!
It is easy to effect change if you bully a small group at a time, but take on a large group and you get what is going to happen come November.

Why not call them Obama saws?
They are the result of trash just like he is!

Mike

I dont think there is much more they can do eventually the carb would have to go to meet epa standards, wich means injection and not sure if that is even feasible in a chainsaw, so may start seeing 4 strokes instead.

At least one brand has made a 4-stroke saw, but the power to weight became quite bad. :censored:

let me ask..would that be trailor trash???:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Nope!

Nor trailer either.
At least that trash has some kind of standards and values and is deserving of a modicum of respect!!!
This is POLITICAL TRASH, far lower on the scale as it has only one goal.....to create power for itself by forcing change, (most usually lining its pockets with the $$$ of the victims in the process) without regard to the outcome or consequences.

Now back to the topic:

The E.P.A. has caused a couple of good things to come about with our beloved saws though the changes are still in their infancy and by the time they mature into puberty may not bear any resemblance whatsoever to what they are now.

1) Improved fuel economy- A benefit to be sure but I stand firmly on the idea that this would have come to pass with or without the E.P.A., as a result of the horsepower race.

2) A moderately better cooling system- to attempt to overcome the effects of lean carb settings and catalytic choked mufflers.

3) Improved filtration- to keep anything from restricting airflow and richening the mixture.

well that about covers it, proving once again that "even a blind hog will find an acorn if he roots around long enough"!!!

Mike

Don't ever forget about the number of voters affected!!!
It is easy to effect change if you bully a small group at a time, but take on a large group and you get what is going to happen come November.

Why not call them Obama saws?
They are the result of trash just like he is!

Mike

Think your calling the wrong man trash Mike. If you go look you will see it was Nixon(R) who started the EPA and it was Bush(R) that gave them more authority than any other president has. You don't have a enemies list like Nixon had you,LOLOL

Think your calling the wrong man trash Mike. If you go look you will see it was Nixon(R) who started the EPA and it was Bush(R) that gave them more authority than any other president has. You don't have a enemies list like Nixon had you,LOLOL

I didn't say HE was or is trash!
Though I would never attempt to repudiate such a claim.

I said his MOTHER and her sperm donor (in spite of his dreams) were TRASH!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back