EPA and saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to say, you are right to an extent - but you really can't blame what is going on now regarding two-strokes on those ol' boys!

EPA on saws didn't really take off before in the late 1990s.......

Not putting the blame on anyone, just pointing out neither political party is better than the other pertaining to EPA.

Far as I'm concerned a clean running engine isn't such a bad thing. I recently sold a 4-mix FS90 to a man. He was running it his hand and for whatever reason he took a wiff of the exhaust and he says wow, this thing really runs clean, I like that. The handfull on here may like the smell and getting choked by 2 cycle fumnes but rest assured many want no parts of it, me included. Nothing I hate worse than bending over a saw in a long cut and have the wind blow those fumnes up my nose and making my eyes water, yuk!

I think I read somewhere that a 2 stroke backpack blower running two hours puts out more emissions than a dump truck traveling 150 miles. Those little 2 cycle motors are putting out a helluva lot more emissons than most think. Fire up a old chainsaw in your one car garage with the door close and see how long you can stand it, it won't be long before you head outside to get some fresh air..

Not putting the blame on anyone, just pointing out neither political party is better than the other pertaining to EPA.

Far as I'm concerned a clean running engine isn't such a bad thing. I recently sold a 4-mix FS90 to a man. He was running it his hand and for whatever reason he took a wiff of the exhaust and he says wow, this thing really runs clean, I like that. The handfull on here may like the smell and getting choked by 2 cycle fumnes but rest assured many want no parts of it, me included. Nothing I hate worse than bending over a saw in a long cut and have the wind blow those fumnes up my nose and making my eyes water, yuk!

I think I read somewhere that a 2 stroke backpack blower running two hours puts out more emissions than a dump truck traveling 150 miles. Those little 2 cycle motors are putting out a helluva lot more emissons than most think. Fire up a old chainsaw in your one car garage with the door close and see how long you can stand it, it won't be long before you head outside to get some fresh air..

It's true. A 190cc push mower puts out the same emissions mowing the lawn for 30 minutes as driving 200 miles or so in a pickup truck. Chainsaws put out a lot more than a new push mower does, from what I recall something in the 5-10x range. So image for every 30 minutes you run your saw, it's like driving a fullsize pickup 1,000-2,000 miles. That adds up in a hurry.

**edit**
Also Thall, I'm with you on not wanting to breath in the 2 stroke fumes while bucking or felling a real big tree.

Thall's right -1972(?) Nixon created EPA, 1990 Clean Air Act -Bush sr., I live near Baltimore, one of the great industrial cities of the East coast. GM Broening Hwy plant-gone, Beth Steel formerly employed 35,000, now owned by russians and down to maybe 2000, coutless manufacturers in Baltimore are now gone, due to federal policies of both parties out to eliminate the working middle class jobs. Why is our goverment doing this??

Our government isn't doing this we are. The government is simply doing what certain special interests want them to do, and we the people make this happen every time go to Wallmart or back big corrupt business and the scum running wall street. Wall street and the bean counters are to blame and it's always been that way, it's a product of 80's and 2000-2008 deregulation.

It's true. A 190cc push mower puts out the same emissions mowing the lawn for 30 minutes as driving 200 miles or so in a pickup truck. Chainsaws put out a lot more than a new push mower does, from what I recall something in the 5-10x range. So image for every 30 minutes you run your saw, it's like driving a fullsize pickup 1,000-2,000 miles. That adds up in a hurry.

**edit**
Also Thall, I'm with you on not wanting to breath in the 2 stroke fumes while bucking or felling a real big tree.

It is just "change" anyway, in the big picture, and barely even that!

Last edited:
Our government isn't doing this we are. The government is simply doing what certain special interests want them to do, and we the people make this happen every time go to Wallmart or back big corrupt business and the scum running wall street. Wall street and the bean counters are to blame and it's always been that way, it's a product of 80's and 2000-2008 deregulation.

All you have to do is decide whether you want communism or capitalism.
I want capitalism. The free market will equalize itself if left alone.

There is no more corrupt entity than government, and nothing the government touches has any concept of efficiency.
To depend on the government to act in the interests of the people it serves is folly, and to turn ANYTHING over to the government to control is pure stupidity.

Mike

Yes, but not when criminals are involved, that's why we have and need laws and regulations.

There is no more corrupt entity than government, and nothing the government touches has any concept of efficiency.
To depend on the government to act in the interests of the people it serves is folly, and to turn ANYTHING over to the government to control is pure stupidity.

Mike

You're idea of communism is a little different than how communism was explained to me by my farther. People in the U.S. don't have a clue about communism for the most part, it's much different and worse than people know or think. Let me know when you're farther is dragged out of the house in the middle of the night because the local rich people thought you're family had more food than they should. You see communism is really about corrupt capitalism not corrupt government.

Yes, but not when criminals are involved.

Mike[/QUOTE]

That's saying we are all corrupt than. Sorry I'm just not an anarchist.

Definition of Anarchism 1.The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.

You're idea of communism is a little different than how communism was explained to me by my farther. People in the U.S. don't have a clue about communism for the most part, it's much different and worse than people know or think. Let me know when you're farther is dragged out of the house in the middle of the night because the local rich people thought you're family had more food than they should. You see communism is really about corrupt capitalism not corrupt government.

Who was it doing the dragging that night????

You are correct in your notion that my idea of communism is different than yours.
My idea of communism is taking responsibility for your plight in life and placing it in the hands of the government.
My idea of it is taking what the productive work for and giving it to the non productive.
My idea of it is eliminating the desire of the populace to work for their wants and needs by assuring the parasites that the government will meet their needs.
My idea of it is a government that thinks they are better equipped to make my decisions for me than I am.

Mike

Yes, but not when criminals are involved.

Mike

Definition of Anarchism 1.The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.[/QUOTE]

What is worse a criminal that you know is a criminal or one who makes up the laws to legalize their criminal activity??

That isn't saying that WE are all corrupt, that is saying that all GOVERNMENTS are corrupt.
Our government was set up by our founding fathers to be a SERVANT to the people, and it should be.
When the government divides the populace against itself and bonds the productive into indentured servitude to provide for the unproductive parasites, then anarchy looks like a pretty good alternative.

Mike

You are correct in your notion that my idea of communism is different than yours.
My idea of communism is taking responsibility for your plight in life and placing it in the hands of the government.
My idea of it is taking what the productive work for and giving it to the non productive.
My idea of it is eliminating the desire of the populace to work for their wants and needs by assuring the parasites that the government will meet their needs.
My idea of it is a government that thinks they are better equipped to make my decisions for me than I am.

Mike

:cheers:

Definition of Anarchism 1.The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.

What is worse a criminal that you know is a criminal or one who makes up the laws to legalize their criminal activity??

That isn't saying that WE are all corrupt, that is saying that all GOVERNMENTS are corrupt.
Our government was set up by our founding fathers to be a SERVANT to the people, and it should be.
When the government divides the populace against itself and bonds the productive into indentured servitude to provide for the unproductive parasites, then anarchy looks like a pretty good alternative.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Well we just see things from a different prospective, I don't mind helping those that cannot help themselves, and I'm not afraid of MY government.:cheers:

Mike

Well we just see things from a different prospective, I don't mind helping those that cannot help themselves, and I'm not afraid of MY government.:cheers:[/QUOTE]

We do see things differently, but not as differently as you might think.

I don't mind one bit helping those that CAN'T help themselves.
It gives me a SERIOUS case of diaper rash to be MADE to provide for those as able to work as I am.
I have a very different view of who CAN and CAN'T help themselves than the government.

I fear the government more than any other faction extant.
Maybe it's the American Indian blood in me!:cheers:

Mike

Well we just see things from a different prospective, I don't mind helping those that cannot help themselves, and I'm not afraid of MY government.:cheers:

We do see things differently, but not as differently as you might think.

I don't mind one bit helping those that CAN'T help themselves.
It gives me a SERIOUS case of diaper rash to be MADE to provide for those as able to work as I am.
I have a very different view of who CAN and CAN'T help themselves than the government.

I fear the government more than any other faction extant.
Maybe it's the American Indian blood in me!:cheers:

Mike[/QUOTE]FWIW Mike I see it the same as you.
And as for where will it end with saws, it won't.I've watched as the cars got cleaner up to the point nothing but water and co2 came out the pipe but it was'nt enough, now co2 is a poisonious gas.
Welcome to the united solalist union.

I think that the end game is going to be a world dominated by ultra clean diesel clippers/bunchers. It's pretty much already happened here. The hand faller is a thing of the past. This will be reflected in a world of decreased large pro saws, i.e. 395/385 condensed to the 390. Only time will tell - Sam

**edit**

Wait a minute. Are you saying that a chainsaw burning around 27 ounces of fuel in 30 minutes emits more carbon than a full size pickup that might get 16 mpg on a 1600 mile trip? That's 100 gallons of fuel through the truck vs 1/5 of a gallon of fuel through the saw. I'm no mathematician, but that would make the pickup around 500 times more efficient than a saw. Are you sure you don't work for the EPA? That math sounds kinda "fuzzy" to me.

I didn't know you had Indian blood, I'm 1/16 Cherokee, mom's side obviously.:givebeer:

And how could anything be bad about that? :cheers: :confused:

I believe Witchy was 1/16 or 1/32 Romani - she said so, and it fit her looks, but there was no true evidence - why care at all about that? :confused:

I wouldn't have cared about 100% either, if the person was the same! :)

Last edited:

That is an interesting take, over-regulation is a result of deregulation.

Back