Escape route feedback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. Folks. What's everyone's motus operandi when using their escape route? : Just run and boogie or face your danger as you leave? Thanks.

As somebody once told me, "Always face your danger when falling timber."

im not coordinated enough to run backwards. i do what the deer do, three quick bounds and look back. take more bounds as neccesary.

While back a cutter, was found dead in the woods with a branch stuck through his back, pinning him to the ground. Maybe he could have dodged it, maybe not, but I think his odds or chances would have been a lot better had be actually seen it coming.

I learned when fighting bulls that its better to face them head up, than try to run from them, by turning around, and dodging flying debris has several similiar points to it, LOL.

I will say that it might be okay to turn tail and run if you have a nice big tree to "tuck behind", that is nearby, but then get turned and check everything out pretty quickly, and check that there aren't any interlocking branches between the two.

Sam

I'm not a faller, just an observer. I would say it depends on the situation.
This snag was 11 feet in diameter. The guy who took the job of cutting it is on the cover of Madsen's catalog. I was not there, but saw his TWO cut out escape routes.

attachment.php

Here is a picture of how he prepared his escape route. And for good reason.
I would guess he used the Run Like Hell technique for the snag.
attachment.php

I don't think it is very wise to count on taking cover behind another tree when falling in our timber. Other trees tend to break off when hit by a falling tree, or spring back, or have the branches shear off. But I'm not a faller.

Here's a video of a production faller. He doesn't go far from the tree in this case.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v0QtuKICJJ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v0QtuKICJJ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I am down in the rigging quite often. I always have a stump or hole picked up to dive into or behind, or a tree to take cover behind. A hooktender told me to get back to where you feel safe, and then take a ten steps more.
Good advice. Things get to flying during yarding too.

Last edited:
Sometimes all you can do is cut and run for your life, like this scary Rock Maple I dumped. The smell of veneer was just too strong! Lol
John

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9Co0ieERww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9Co0ieERww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It just depends. I usually face it unless its really ugly. I've had to duck several that would have gotten me if I wasn't looking. It just depends and experience will tell you when.

Great advice Cody!

Nice clip John. That scene looks eerily familar.

I
This snag was 11 feet in diameter. The guy who took the job of cutting it is on the cover of Madsen's catalog. I was not there, but saw his TWO cut out escape routes.

attachment.php

Here is a picture of how he prepared his escape route. And for good reason.
I would guess he used the Run Like Hell technique for the snag.
attachment.php

anymore pics or videos of him cutting the monster snag? id love to see

You go as fast as you can away on a planned escape rout at a 45 degree angle from the falling tree.

O.K. Folks. What's everyone's motus operandi when using their escape route? : Just run and boogie or face your danger as you leave? Thanks.

I would not advise running like a chicken, if for nothing else than it making you really tired. . .

Most of the time, if you face a tree in a reasonable direction, you will be fine at a relatively close distance to the stump. There are situations which call for vacating the area. Best thing you can do is to have it all planned out. Like "take 10 paces to said area then observe the tree falling" Its something that differs form tree to tree, so as long as you arent completely zoning out as the tree commits, you should be able to judge what needs to be done. . .

To the right, just don't trip over that textboook.

Lol, now that was funny! LMFAO.

45 degrees sometimes bad. I've seen fencerow hardwood trees drop as planned, but due to large lower limbs simply flopped over several feet to left or right of the stump because that bigger lower limb never broke.
So I learned to get back from the stump and not sideways unless all else was obvious.
John

Some good advice here. And some not so good. lol
I rarely run from a tree, but it is much more often that i take just a few calm steps, sometimes a few fast steps, and sometimes run like hell!!!

i have actually had to dive under the skidder when a tree top broke out on the backlash and no way to get away from it other than under the skidder. not really a good feeling but the others there on site said it was funny to see me diving under there.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, especially with "compromised" stems. Watch it tip, and go where the butt isn't gonna. Eyes up. You know where the saw is. You can't say the same of branches and tops.

Back