Escape route feedback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lumberjkchamp...Now you've done it...you've forced me to say something nice about GOL. ;)

From what I understand from having talked to people who've taken the course, their safety training is really pretty good. Apparently they place a real emphasis on safe saw handling...as they should. They're big on PPE and that's another plus.

Too many people just go buy a saw and start cutting. Some of them get away with it. The others get stitches, a prosthetic device, or a memorial service.

If a person doesn't have the chance to work with an experienced hand in the woods I'd say that some kind of formal safety training would be a good idea. GOL might be the only option for some people. If nothing else it might teach a beginner how not to hurt himself with a saw.

But look at it the same way as when you learned to ride a bike...at first you use the training wheels. Later on on, when you get your balance, you can make up your own mind how to ride.

Thanks for the follow-up reply. The importance of safe saw handling and PPE cannont be over stated.

I'll try to keep my post on topic from here on out.

To the OP:

As far as proper escape path routes, planning them before any actual tree cutting is done is one of the most important rules to follow. It shouldn't change. Too many times I catch myself starting the face without having cleared or planned my escape path(s). It is also good to have a backup path.

Some have mentioned looking up at the tree while cutting. This is some very good advice. Lots of hazards in a trees canopy. Look for dead limbs and tops, hung-up branches, etc. In addition, this will also be your first indicator (the top of the tree you're cutting) that the tree is commiting or maybe doing something that you don't want it to do (like set back). Moving clouds can be deceptive. They can fool you into thinking that trees are moving when they in fact may not -watch for that.

When planning and cutting out you're escape route assess the integrity of the surrounding trees. Are any dead or dying, do they lean on or do their branches entangle with those of the tree you plan on cutting. Often times, when the tree you are falling commits, the above mentioned hazards can cause the adjacent trees to fall or be pulled down with the one being cut. A situation like that puts the cutter in serious danger.

In addition to figuring how the cut tree will behave while falling and when it hits the ground, the above mentioned potential hazards are some of the problems I look for and consider when planning an escape route. The operatve word in this case is "some." Good advice is in this thread already, given by professionals with thousands of hours of experience. Read it twice. I have.

Well, o.k. All my fault for bringing up the escape route subject. Guess I opened a can of worms. Great replies and input. Thanks much.

You didn't do anything wrong and there's no fault on your part. This forum is kinda like your average small town logger's
tavern...you throw out a topic of conversation or ask a question and then the fun begins. There are as many different opinions on here as there are people and there's bound to be some bickering.
Even those of us who don't agree with each other will make an honest attempt at answering your questions and giving whatever help you're looking for. The "help" just gets a little loud at times.

Welcome to AS.

Some nice vids Yukon-John and great posts!

Great posts too Bob!

Since when do oaks and hickories have less tendancy to chair?

That whole "letn em down slow and easy," trick is a myth. My boss always used to say that. Drove me nuts. I've seen him barber chair several that never should have while he was "letn em down slow and easy"

I think it was forestryworks that hit it on the head with GOL doesn't teach them to look up a whole lot.

To me the GOL sounds like drivers ed. Formulated and mechanical for easy teaching, but damn all that #### goes out the window quick when you get into real world situations.

Hey Gary...I Googled GOL. They have GOL hats! Thought maybe I'd order a couple and raffle them off at the next GTG...just to see what use they were put to.
Bob, you are a GOL graduate aren't you, I see it in your user name. Come clean now, is this you in the pic on the right? Lol
http://www.hullforest.com/images/forestry/wood_workers/wood_workers.jpg
GOL, has made big bucks for the founder and that's what it's mainly about, but still a good thing for the newbie.
John

Bob, you are a GOL graduate aren't you, I see it in your user name. Come clean now, is this you in the pic on the right? Lol
http://www.hullforest.com/images/forestry/wood_workers/wood_workers.jpg
GOL, has made big bucks for the founder and that's what it's mainly about, but still a good thing for the newbie.
John

LOL...John, that guy is a lot better looking than me and better color coordinated, too. And maybe just a little bit younger.

And I agree with you that for somebody with no experience it's probably a good way to learn some basic safety stuff. No argument there.

It's the "our way is the best and only way" thing that I object to. Hell, we probably use more of their techniques out here than they realize. We just don't feel that their methods are the best to the total exclusion of everything else. They aren't. Never have been. Never will be.

Whats up with the GOL shot of its students do you have to wear all orange and be color coordinated to attend. I wonder how hot all that gear is to wear on a steep hot cable unit on the left coast. :popcorn:

I dont know why people are such suckers for the GOL.

Look at the acronym. It spells GOL as in By Gol, I might could be able to get a tree to go where I want it.

Sorry, the coffee hasn't kicked in or been sipped enough. By Gol the root canal is a little heat sensitive this morning. Owie. ;)

I'll have to go look at the clothing offered on their web site.

uh oh this GOL stuff has me hooked on the lip I had better try to shake to hook and swim on to deeper waters. :biggrinbounce2:

Put the saw down, and go

Since my initial thread, I have learned alot.........Sometimes it's hard to change your ways.....but in this business, if there's a safer and better way, you should try it out.....so now, more often than not......when the tree is commited to the undercut, I will take a couple of steps to my escape route, put down the saw instead of hauling it out with me, and get out. The little extra time the saw can slow you down can make the difference of you getting clobbered.

Most of the time when a fatality, injury or close call happens, there is not enough known about the emotional state of the victim.
Since only one thought can occupy the mind at any one time, it's hard to say what the victim was thinking about when the casualty happened.
Falling timber is a very intimate and enjoyable experience, but if the operators mind is on other things, like marital problems, financial problems or simply being pushed or ridiculed by other crew members, this can substantialy stack the deck.
Of the eight lost time injuries I've had in the woods, most of them could be attributed to my mental state, something that is rarely talked about. So I think 50% of injuries are directly related to experience and the other 50% are related to mental state, or any combination thereof.
They're coming to take me away Haha!
John

This is probably the best post I've come across on this forum. -Sam

Back