Extreme Stihl Dealer Dissapointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/QUOTE]I was afraid you might ask that and believe it or not the answer is no, I do not haggle, fuss, argue, or request anything when buying something other than the product itself. Now your thinking no way, he's lying his azz off. Awwwwwwwwwww I gots proof and you've been replieing to him.[/QUOTE]

I didn't ask you if you paid DSRP for a saw. I asked if you haggled when you buy cars. Then I asked why saws should be different. So, do you haggle on cars, or do you pay sticker? If you do pay sticker (except in the past for a Saturn) for your cars/trucks, you'd be the first person I've ever known and in the minority I'm sure.

Last edited:
The original dealer was likely hoping to get together a large enough order to get the shipping paid for, or building a bigger order to get terms, and after doing thus may have found his account on hold until his bill was caught up to date, {this has been real common in the last couple of years}, dealers are
barely scraping by until spring, and the distributors have changed to a much
more conservative policy and not letting the dealers get too far behind.

He should have contacted you about the delay, but didn't, he likely didn't want
to have to explain, or the guy you dealt with maybe couldn't explain, well, not the
truth.

I agree, that seems like a likely scenario.

Tommy, I can tell you that after seeing his cost I actually paid him more than he offered the saw to me for, told him he had to make a living. I ran a WM store right beside his little Coast to Coast hardware for about three years. I'd would always buy my personal lawn equipment from him, never haggled. He asked me one day why, didn't I get a discount at WM, I say , Hell, yes but I want to buy something that's going to last a lifetime, not a month. I sent him alot of business when customers needed something we didn't carry. He has survived all these years, actually thriving, he has seven employees, his lawn mower service center is incredibly huge. Has a great Stihl tech, tobacco chewing,swearing, story teller that gets the job done.

The guy knows when I come in an say I'm buying a saw today, that I will be leaving with a saw.

Hell, if half of the people understood the category margins at W-M they would pass out. Fishing tackle about 60 percent, get into mascara and beauty aids for the women 100+ percent, Arts and Crafts 80% the only thing that is sold at a reasonable margin is guns most are under 20%, Remington's used to be in the 8% range. I'll bet the farm he doesn't go in to haggle with the WM manager or the service station manger.

Yea, he might find a dealer thats hurting for business and go in and beat the piss out of him and find a "deal". The tables will turn when he needs service or parts.

I'm in my dealers hardware store virtually every week. Never try to haggle him on hardware or whatever non saw related items. The main thing is that he knows I'm loyal to trade at his store, and I feel like I get rewarded with a good bone thrown at me pretty often. I'll guarantee you ole Tommy is the same way, if I had bought five string trimmers from him and at laeast 8 or 9 new saws, commercial grade push mower, pellet stove and a ton of other ****, I'd never have to ask for a deal.

I used to hate dealing with people that played one business off another business trying to get the best price. I'll bet there are some that will call every dealer within a fifty mile radius trying to beat the last nickle out of a dealer. That's the kind of turd I wouldn't want to do business with, because more than likely he will always be a demanding Richard Cranium to deal with.

I would ten times rather find the best dealer, most customer orientated dealer with the best service department and pay there price, and get good life long service. Some are just blinded by saving 20.00 today that will cost them a heck of a lot more in the future.

I did something like that once....

Dang I did alot of work typing all that and nobody even answered my question

...except it was for a ride, and I had a good trade-in plus thousands cash on me. I go to this lot, see something I am interested in, checking it out..no one comes out to try and make the sale. So, I walk inside, all the sales folks in there are all sitting around stuffing fried chicken in their pie holes. Now, I understand eating lunch, but I was also a car seller one summer a long time ago, you go out and be pleasant and see what is what with the customer when they are looking longingly at some shiny. You don't have to be pushy at all, see if they are medium serious or just real random tire kickers. it just ain't rocket science. If just tire kickers, just leave them be, to go look at some more and tell them to step in if they want more info, etc, or if they want to get down to real price and paperwork.

So, anyway, even then I didn't get any questions or expected response, just "ya"?? around chomping noises. Couldn't even be bothered to swallow a mouthful, just open a yap with chicken falling out, medium disgusting..So, I pull out my wad of cash, said "I was interested in that (was a van) out there, but now I am not. See ya, enjoy your chicken". Walked out.

Found a much better deal a few miles away anyway..ran the snot out of it for years until..hmmm five years ago now, still have the hulk here. Maybe rebuild it sometime.

Moral of story is screw 'em. There's always some one else with better customer service if you look hard enough and stick to your guns. I know I won't do business with arrogant jerks like that (laughing at you for no real reason, in your situation, trying to make you feel bad), absolutely no need at all.

And especially today with online shopping. Local mom and pops had BETTER fixate on at least a fair price and good customer service or they are gonna be outta business eventually. People aren't being held hostage to the local [brand/thing for sale] cartel like they used to be.

I understand "support your local dealer", but if they act like they got you by the short and curly's all the time, nope. I have two [top main brands] saw and small engine dealers around here. I bought two devices from one dealer, another device from the other. Now, the second device was used, but sold in "good working condition" a generator. I go to use it for the first time and the fuel line was rotted off and after a few minutes run time it collapsed all the way and dumped raw gasoline right down on the gen head. I mean, coulda been a real disaster there. I went back later, not real mad but wanting to tell them the story...they didn't so much as offer a free replacement fuel line! So, they get no more of my loot for anything high ticket, I go to the first guy, or buy independent from private individuals locally now.

And yes, the more jerky dealer is the "jawhol, herr expensive aryan saw" dealer. Just a scosh too arrogant for me. Real cheap crap I will buy there, but not much, and nothing new or expensive like a new saw or whacker. The local other guy though, the swedish "beefy" dealer, always willing to talk about stuff if he ain't busy, answer my dumb questions as I am still learning better saw and whatnot maintenance and repair, cut me a deal, let me poke through the junk pile and dig out a used/serviceable part, etc. I've bought a new saw and a new whacker from him. Pleasant to even go in there, and I am not made to feel like a stone idjit when I ask what are probably lame questions, but stuff I really want to know.

I was afraid you might ask that and believe it or not the answer is no, I do not haggle, fuss, argue, or request anything when buying something other than the product itself. Now your thinking no way, he's lying his azz off. Awwwwwwwwwww I gots proof and you've been replieing to him.[/QUOTE]

I didn't ask you if you paid DSRP for a saw. I asked if you haggled when you buy cars. Then I asked why saws should be different. So, do you haggle on cars, or do you pay sticker? If you do pay sticker (except in the past for a Saturn) for your cars/trucks, you'd be the first person I've ever known and in the minority I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

Welp ok you got me and you got me not. Bought a 2002 Ram pick up truck brand new from a Dodge dealer that happened to be right across the street. This was in 03. The owner I had sold a Stihl saw to long before and knew him fairly well. Took good care of him. When he found out from his salesman it was his Stihl guy that wanted that pick up guess what, the price went from $19,900 down to $14,500. Take note though I never asked diddley but I grabbed it before he changed his mind,haha

Now awhile back I also bought a used 2007 Chevy Impala. Very low miles, car in good shape. Price was $16,900, a new one was $23,000 at the time, car two years old. I thought hmmmm this car is like new, only had 19,000 miles on it. I took it up the street, brought it back and said I'll take it, I paid sticker and never batted a eye or asked for a lower price. I felt the car was well worth the price. I was happy.

I've always been alittle leary and right down embarrassed to ask someone to give me a better price than what they would give someone else. I'm no better than anyone else the way I see it and if I think the price is too steep I won't say a word, I'll just go on my jolly way. If I really want something or really need something then price plays hardly no role at all in me getting what I want. Once again my buddy Spike can attest to that from me buying a Martin D28 not long ago, talk about fetching high bucks,wowowowow, but by joe I wanted one and by joe I gots me one. Now all I gott do is figure out some 20,000 chords and I be good to go,LOLOLOL

Tommy, I can tell you that after seeing his cost I actually paid him more than he offered the saw to me for, told him he had to make a living. I ran a WM store right beside his little Coast to Coast hardware for about three years. I'd would always buy my personal lawn equipment from him, never haggled. He asked me one day why, didn't I get a discount at WM, I say , Hell, yes but I want to buy something that's going to last a lifetime, not a month. I sent him alot of business when customers needed something we didn't carry. He has survived all these years, actually thriving, he has seven employees, his lawn mower service center is incredibly huge. Has a great Stihl tech, tobacco chewing,swearing, story teller that gets the job done.

The guy knows when I come in an say I'm buying a saw today, that I will be leaving with a saw.

Hell, if half of the people understood the category margins at W-M they would pass out. Fishing tackle about 60 percent, get into mascara and beauty aids for the women 100+ percent, Arts and Crafts 80% the only thing that is sold at a reasonable margin is guns most are under 20%, Remington's used to be in the 8% range. I'll bet the farm he doesn't go in to haggle with the WM manager or the service station manger.

Yea, he might find a dealer thats hurting for business and go in and beat the piss out of him and find a "deal". The tables will turn when he needs service or parts.

I'm in my dealers hardware store virtually every week. Never try to haggle him on hardware or whatever non saw related items. The main thing is that he knows I'm loyal to trade at his store, and I feel like I get rewarded with a good bone thrown at me pretty often. I'll guarantee you ole Tommy is the same way, if I had bought five string trimmers from him and at laeast 8 or 9 new saws, commercial grade push mower, pellet stove and a ton of other ****, I'd never have to ask for a deal.

I used to hate dealing with people that played one business off another business trying to get the best price. I'll bet there are some that will call every dealer within a fifty mile radius trying to beat the last nickle out of a dealer. That's the kind of turd I wouldn't want to do business with, because more than likely he will always be a demanding Richard Cranium to deal with.

I would ten times rather find the best dealer, most customer orientated dealer with the best service department and pay there price, and get good life long service. Some are just blinded by saving 20.00 today that will cost them a heck of a lot more in the future.

Your a good man Spring. You know the score from the inside out. You've been on both sides and know what goes on,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Dang I did alot of work typing all that and nobody even answered my question

Well, you know what I think - the dealer. I didn't respond before because I didn't know what you meant by "runt." I think you might have meant "ruined," though I could be wrong.

I was afraid you might ask that and believe it or not the answer is no, I do not haggle, fuss, argue, or request anything when buying something other than the product itself. Now your thinking no way, he's lying his azz off. Awwwwwwwwwww I gots proof and you've been replieing to him.

I didn't ask you if you paid DSRP for a saw. I asked if you haggled when you buy cars. Then I asked why saws should be different. So, do you haggle on cars, or do you pay sticker? If you do pay sticker (except in the past for a Saturn) for your cars/trucks, you'd be the first person I've ever known and in the minority I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

Welp ok you got me and you got me not. Bought a 2002 Ram pick up truck brand new from a Dodge dealer that happened to be right across the street. This was in 03. The owner I had sold a Stihl saw to long before and knew him fairly well. Took good care of him. When he found out from his salesman it was his Stihl guy that wanted that pick up guess what, the price went from $19,900 down to $14,500. Take note though I never asked diddley but I grabbed it before he changed his mind,haha

Now awhile back I also bought a used 2007 Chevy Impala. Very low miles, car in good shape. Price was $16,900, a new one was $23,000 at the time, car two years old. I thought hmmmm this car is like new, only had 19,000 miles on it. I took it up the street, brought it back and said I'll take it, I paid sticker and never batted a eye or asked for a lower price. I felt the car was well worth the price. I was happy.

I've always been alittle leary and right down embarrassed to ask someone to give me a better price than what they would give someone else. I'm no better than anyone else the way I see it and if I think the price is too steep I won't say a word, I'll just go on my jolly way. If I really want something or really need something then price plays hardly no role at all in me getting what I want. Once again my buddy Spike can attest to that from me buying a Martin D28 not long ago, talk about fetching high bucks,wowowowow, but by joe I wanted one and by joe I gots me one. Now all I gott do is figure out some 20,000 chords and I be good to go,LOLOLOL[/QUOTE]

Used cars, just like used saws are different Tommy. That's not to say that if I was interested in a used car, or saw I wouldn't ask if the guy could do better if his price was out-of-whack.

I won't press you on it, but if the 2002 RAM truck dealer didn't offer to give you a better price, I doubt you would have paid sticker and no one that I know would blame you. That's really my point, buying new cars shouldn't be different than buying new saws. However, I'm sure there are those here that wouldn't agree.

Last edited:
Well, you know what I think - the dealer. I didn't respond before because I didn't know what you meant by "runt." I think you might have meant "ruined," though I could be wrong.
Sorry about the spelling you read it right. I miss the spell check it helped catch a lot of typos also

Sorry about the spelling you read it right. I miss the spell check it helped catch a lot of typos also

I use spell check here. If I didn't, I'd look like even more of a moron. :biggrinbounce2: You can download and install it by clicking the "ABC" icon.

I own a Stihl,

But it aint no chainsaw.

attachment.php

Chainsaw prices, car prices, what about muffler prices? LMAO

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4lk3o-JvfTw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4lk3o-JvfTw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can vouch for you, you don't haggle, hell you don't even hint at wanting a break. Thats why you got the discounts on that load of Stihl you carried home. See I gave you those breaks because I knew sooner or later that muffler screen on that 211 was gonna clog up on ya and I would have me some fun,LOLOLOLOL Remember that thread 2K, awwwwwwwwww the good ole days,:cheers::cheers:

Nope, don't haggle with the local guy and won't with you either. Heck, I felt honored to meet ya! A man who knows his product is what makes the bussiness shine. Good thing I don't stay in Leesburg, I'd be broke.:biggrinbounce2:

LOL, the little 211.:hmm3grin2orange: She is running great now but the dang oil hose is leaking. I need to get her on the bench and take a look....

So whats wrong with STIHL bashing ?
fun,entertaining,worthwhile time spent too..
some people dont want to be creamsickle blinded yuppies paying to much for an inferior product because all the other lemmings want to jump off the cliff too..
an educated consumer is a dealers worst nightmare..

What should we buy? Cheap a** diamond sharpening bits to use with a pos dremel and screw all of the cutters up?:laugh:

An educated customer usually makes his first stop at a Stihl dealer.;)

i went to the stihl dealer today and grabbed an 20" ES bar for my new 361. I took it up to the counter to make sure it is the 1 for my saw. I did kind of figure it was but wanted to make sure. well both of them stood there scratching their heads and then had to get 2 books out to make sure. Its like dang it.DON'T YOU KNOW YOUR PRODUCT??????????

:popcorn::popcorn:Great thread!!!

Keep posting, I finished my last book and dont have anything to read...this is some good reading bro's :D

It started with dealer not being honest to buyer about time saw will arive...dealers chimed in mad, dont haggle, no proffit....AS posters chimed in with some bad experience's and drive further....others mad at orig. poster, dealers need to make living, food on table....some called TARD, some said needs meds....then things calmed down with sorry's, I will buy you soda......I laughed, cried, about fell backwards, hair stood up on back of neak.............who needs books when you got AS er's posting :clap: you guys rock!!!!!!!

What should we buy? Cheap a** diamond sharpening bits to use with a pos dremel and screw all of the cutters up?:laugh:

An educated customer usually makes his first stop at a Stihl dealer.;)

Wow man,did somebody pee on your creamsuckle and you didnt notice the change in flavor ? LOL !!
one thing to crap on anothers choice of saw,if you cant handle that ,TS..
one thing to insult somebody about thier opinion..
but YOUR creamsickle glasses seem to exclude everybody and anybody that dont like those pos's..now to be honest i havent had all that much experiance with them..probly only about 25 of em this year..but thatys enough for me to be able to form an opinion..
now to address what you had to say about what i sell,and show what kind of person you are,i will quote rule number twenty that you agreed to abide by when you signed up..

" 20. You are not permitted to post or insinuate false information about members as well as sponsors. If you have never owned or used (at great length) a product offered by one of the sponsors, you are not permitted to comment on the value, validity, or effectiveness of these products or services. "
enjoy

i went to the stihl dealer today and grabbed an 20" ES bar for my new 361. I took it up to the counter to make sure it is the 1 for my saw. I did kind of figure it was but wanted to make sure. well both of them stood there scratching their heads and then had to get 2 books out to make sure. Its like dang it.DON'T YOU KNOW YOUR PRODUCT??????????

If any dealer can look at a bar and not know if it's a medium Stihl mount then they haven't sold many saws...

Wow man,did somebody pee on your creamsuckle and you didnt notice the change in flavor ? LOL !!
one thing to crap on anothers choice of saw,if you cant handle that ,TS..
one thing to insult somebody about thier opinion..
but YOUR creamsickle glasses seem to exclude everybody and anybody that dont like those pos's..now to be honest i havent had all that much experiance with them..probly only about 25 of em this year..but thatys enough for me to be able to form an opinion..

Now, now Ron. If you can dish it out be sure you can take it back.;) As you can tell, you are in the minority of Stihl bashers. Why is that? There ain't many out there because Stihl makes a darn good product. So when your "kind" comes out to play, I'll be here to kick ya'll right back under the bridge.:biggrinbounce2:

now to address what you had to say about what i sell,and show what kind of person you are,i will quote rule number twenty that you agreed to abide by when you signed up..

" 20. You are not permitted to post or insinuate false information about members as well as sponsors. If you have never owned or used (at great length) a product offered by one of the sponsors, you are not permitted to comment on the value, validity, or effectiveness of these products or services. "
enjoy

Where did I mention YOUR bits? Maybe I was talking about the ones I used from Blowes that really did blow. Hand sharpeing works much better...

Latest posts

Back