F650 Curb weight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone on here happen to know the curb weight of a F650 fully loaded with chips that is within the years of 2015-2022? I know its a long shot, but the truck is in very odd waters when it comes to if the driver needs a CDL. I'm going to try to take it to get weighed soon, but there isn't any weigh stations near and the junkyard said they cant weigh it.

I'm sure you have a scale nearby at any landscape supply, quarry or transfer station. Where are people buying stone near you? They always weight it. Demo usually gets weighed as well. Most places will let you pull on and find your weight. Some will charge you for it some won't.

You need a CDL if the truck is registered for over 26,000 gvwr. If you weigh more than that you are both over your registered weight rating AND in CDL territory. So you'd have two issues to deal with.

I think there are some variations but the truck needs a CDL driver. Here in California there is little margin of error. Usually on the door there will be a identification tag that indicated the GVW and The GCVW. The GVW should be close to 25 or 26,000 or a little less. However it has the capacity to hook up to a trailer that is 15 or 20' long which makes it a automatic CDL vehicle. Just call the DMV and the HW Patrol. thanks

As was stated above, CDL isn't determined by actual weight of truck, but of GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). You could have a vehicle rated for 30,000 lbs with a curb weight of 12,000 hauling packaging peanuts that might be a total weight of 15,000lbs. CDL needed because truck is rated for over 26,000.

You could have a vehicle rated for 25,000 overloaded at 27,000, and technically, no CDL required...but there are other laws at play, and your insurance may refuse a claim if you cause and accident.

With a trailer if: if the combination of the truck and trailer goes over 26,000 AND the trailer is rated for more than 10,000 you need CDL. If you have a 25,000 GVWR truck and a 9900 lb rated trailer, you are good to go without. But a 14,500 rated truck and a 12,000 trailer needs CDL.

So to answer the "real" question (not curb weight...that means empty weight of truck...as it sits on the curb), the first Google hit says:
"The F-650/F-750 GVWR range starts at 20,500 pounds with the F-650 Pro Loader, and can go up to 29,000 pounds for the F-650 straight frame"

It would be good to know your curb weight too. That way you know how many chips you can blow in before you exceed the trucks GVWR. That's gotta come from a scale. There are too many different configurations. If a major supplier put the body on the truck, they may be able to tell you pretty close...

My Cabover states on the door as it was manufactured for 20,000 LBS. the GCVW is typically 37,000. One time I scaled at a little over 45,000 LBS. I did ask what is going on. I was told that there are variations because it is an agriculture load. However in all cases a CDL is required. Here a class C can have endorsements that makes operation legal. Thanks

As was stated above, CDL isn't determined by actual weight of truck, but of GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). You could have a vehicle rated for 30,000 lbs with a curb weight of 12,000 hauling packaging peanuts that might be a total weight of 15,000lbs. CDL needed because truck is rated for over 26,000.

You could have a vehicle rated for 25,000 overloaded at 27,000, and technically, no CDL required...but there are other laws at play, and your insurance may refuse a claim if you cause and accident.

With a trailer if: if the combination of the truck and trailer goes over 26,000 AND the trailer is rated for more than 10,000 you need CDL. If you have a 25,000 GVWR truck and a 9900 lb rated trailer, you are good to go without. But a 14,500 rated truck and a 12,000 trailer needs CDL.

So to answer the "real" question (not curb weight...that means empty weight of truck...as it sits on the curb), the first Google hit says:
"The F-650/F-750 GVWR range starts at 20,500 pounds with the F-650 Pro Loader, and can go up to 29,000 pounds for the F-650 straight frame"

It would be good to know your curb weight too. That way you know how many chips you can blow in before you exceed the trucks GVWR. That's gotta come from a scale. There are too many different configurations. If a major supplier put the body on the truck, they may be able to tell you pretty close...
this is the best piece of knowledge if gotten yet, thank you!

don't forget, any trailer screws with it too, I seem to recall they add it all up, say the chipper has an 8K axle and the truck is 20K, still over CDL technically (I think)
so, your door sticker says 26K exact? cannot tow anything behind that truck without a class B, if the trailer is rated at 10K or above then its a class A
TN has a rule where even if GCWR is under 26K, but the trailer is 10001#, its still a class A, or an A/57 which is an endorsement on a class D basically, lets you move heavy rated trailers with a small truck, i.e dealer moving empties to the new lot across town with an F150

IMO, the best option is to get a CDL when you have a month of free time for CDL school, or hire a driver with one, get a class A, B class is pretty useless and its the same test minus backing a trailer, not terribly expensive and it opens up a whole world of possibilities, lets you buy and operate any size vehicle without an issue

curious as to why the junkyard couldn't weigh it

I would guess that they didn't have time to waste on free scale visits, and management told them not to waste time on it. They probably have a rule that all scale events create a log of the empty and loaded weights, along with a record of what was paid out. All mismatched tickets would be like sand added to their well-oiled operation.

"Where is the loaded weight on that empty truck? Who got the money? !! $!^@"

Any single-scale events would become a flagged item that would look like probable fraud to management. Junkyards are well known to be infested with metal thieves, and they might well have a corrupting influence on the scale house.

I seem to recall they add it all up, say the chipper has an 8K axle and the truck is 20K, still over CDL technically (

To be honest, I'm not sure how DOT manages towed machinery. Rolling equipment like chippers, tree spades, and large air compressors don't traditionally have any GVWR ratings, because they don't come with a title or any other licensing requirements. With no licensing requirements, they also won't be required to comply with federal laws on labeling the axles on the VIN tag that doesn't exist.

I would guess that if an officer thought a vehicle had crossed over into over-CDL requirements, they could always put the trailer on the scale and find out its weight.

If you need a weight, take something to the junkyard, don't ask for "free" weight...or to the landfill, or go buy some stone.

I would guess that they didn't have time to waste on free scale visits, and management told them not to waste time on it. They probably have a rule that all scale events create a log of the empty and loaded weights, along with a record of what was paid out. All mismatched tickets would be like sand added to their well-oiled operation.

"Where is the loaded weight on that empty truck? Who got the money? !! $!^@"

Any single-scale events would become a flagged item that would look like probable fraud to management. Junkyards are well known to be infested with metal thieves, and they might well have a corrupting influence on the scale house.
all thescrapyards in our area have scales that are regulated by the state and they charge a small fee (10-20$) to weigh vehicles and they furnish a scale ticket.

Latest posts

Back