faceplates off

• Thread starter Deleted member 116684
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 116684

Hello people. I have an osburn 2200 insert and am taking the face plates off. I think it will let more heat out into the room and less into the masonry around it. Any one else ever try this?

we do this with our Osburn 1600 and it does produce more heat, specifically the radiant heat from the rest of the stove

it is less attractive, but it is very easy to put the shroud back on when not in use or what have you

I was thinking as much. It seems that the face plates just block heat from coming out and we have a real big firebox around the insert.

Well, it wont look as pretty for sure but you may get additional heat.

I burn the Osburn 1800 which is the baby brother of the 2200.

Did you insulate around the insert with Roxul? Are you using a block off plate? The radiant heat will be absorbed by the masonry first, so even if you remove the overlay it will have minimal results if you dont insulate and use a block off plate.

Block off plate, yes. I have a big fire box with 10 to 12 inches of space around the insert and wasn't going to insulate that. It would look awful. With that much space around it I thought the heat would be able to radiate out. Am I wrong? Should I coat the firebox with something reflective and and not too ugly?

best thing I ever did was remove the "decoration plate" from the front of my quadrafire 4100i

Block off plate, yes. I have a big fire box with 10 to 12 inches of space around the insert and wasn't going to insulate that. It would look awful. With that much space around it I thought the heat would be able to radiate out. Am I wrong? Should I coat the firebox with something reflective and and not too ugly?

What happens is if enough 'radiant' heat escape from the unit on all sides and dissipate in the masonry and room from the front because the faceplate is removed; the firebox will not get enough to activate the blower early enough to get 'convection' heat.

Basically 'radiant' heat is IR released by hot material. It does not heat ambient air but warms up any surfaces it reaches. 'Convection' heat is warm air. Because inserts are recessed into a masonry fireplace they are designed to be more like 'convection' heater with the blower.

If you were to insulate around the firebox with Roxul, put back the faceplate you might notice some improvement. Roxul is cheap enough.

BTW we make the Osburn brand so ask away...

Are you saying that faceplates on will produce more heat? What if I take them off and line the firebox with a heat reflective surface?

Back