fair ordinances 100'- 300' from neighbors???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkin40

Reaction score
Hello all just thought I would ask and see what you all have run into with the ordinances you have had to work around. There are some I can see like stack height, some I don't get at all, like the 100'-300' you read about. If i want to put a woodburner in my house I can run it up the side of my house it would be on one side of my house 20' away from neighbors on the other 30'. Now the kicker my outdoor wood burner has to be 100'-300' away WHY????.if the stack is at roof line ???? Help me to understand????

thank you, Jan

current production OWBs

for the most part tend to smoke a bit more than a typical indoor wood fired apparatus.

Hello all just thought I would ask and see what you all have run into with the ordinances you have had to work around. There are some I can see like stack height, some I don't get at all, like the 100'-300' you read about. If i want to put a woodburner in my house I can run it up the side of my house it would be on one side of my house 20' away from neighbors on the other 30'. Now the kicker my outdoor wood burner has to be 100'-300' away WHY????.if the stack is at roof line ???? Help me to understand????

thank you, Jan

I havent even had my Shaver 250 a week yet,and I fully understand why. Trust me,the ordinances are more than fair.Im well over 1000ft from my nearest neighbor,and occasionally i feel bad for him.I couldnt imagine being only 300 ft away from them.The OWB designs run cool,wood doesnt burn cleanly when forced to be kept cool.

i read alot about owb's being 200' from a neighbors house. i have an indoor boiler, my buddy has an outdoor boiler. my neighbors are very close. his neighbors are far away. my chimney is higher than mine and my neighbors houses. his chimney cap can be accessed by standing on a small log. my neighbors say "oh you burn wood in that thing?" his neighbors say "he's burning wood in that thing". his whole property smells like owb.

They are dirty/hungry smoke dragons. I'd be pissed if one was within 500' of me. In fact I wouldn't lose any sleep if it became the norm for them to be banned. In general I think they give wood burners a bad name...

If you are that close to your neighbors just because your stack is at roof line doesn't mean that the smoke always goes up in the air and above your house or your neighbors house. The 200 feet away is a rough estimate for the smoke to disperse before it hits someone's house....

My smoke can go straight from my chimney and hit the ground 10 feet away....doesn't mean it always goes up in the air, depends on the wind that day and I usually only get smoke when I first fill it up.

So, what exactly are you aiming to do? It sounds like some sort of indoor wood appliance is your goal, in which case the distance requirements would not usually apply. If you are contemplating an outdoor wood boiler, then these are the object of the requirements you mention, for the reasons that Eric mentioned.

I need to get a picture of it, but the other day I saw a guy in the 'hood who has an OWB on his 60x80 downtown lot, with wood stacked up along his fences, and smoke billowing out on to the commercial strip adjacent to his house. Bet those store owners really love that thing smoking away all day long!

thank you, Jan

There should just be one rule and that is that your burning should not impact anyone else, via smoke, smell or any other reasonble detraction from their quality of life caused by your woodburner.

cleanburn - what i am trying to say is because my chimney is high, the likelyhood of me smoking out my neighbors is less than if i had an OWB parked in my backyard. my ex gf lives 500' from my buddy, and she smells it cooking away. none of my neighbors have come to me to complain about the smoke from my boiler. and trust me, they are more than willing to tell me when i am doing something they dont like. most OWB's are loaded what, twice a day with a bunch of big rounds, right? mine has to be loaded several times a day. so in theory when either boiler is at idle, mine has less wood to be smoldering, right?

supercoolss, sorry I was addressing mainly the Parkin40 with my post.

I have a OWB and it also depends on which boiler you mean in general, some are cleaner than others. But I don't have neighbors close to me at all. Yep less wood in your stove means less smoldering. But I don't like to load more than twice a day and like my wood mess outside instead of inside.

Either way I was just saying that I agree that you should be atleast 200 feet from the property line with a OWB because smoke can hit the ground running.

i wanted one till my neighbor got one, smoke is horrible, always seems to go str8 toward my house. dosent matter wich way the wind is either. i have 2 stoves burning in my place all the time and the smoke output is an eighth if that of what that dirty smelly peice o **** he is running. been in his house and it's cold compared to mine his place is new this summer, mine's a 80 year old farm house with original window's and door. just seem's to be a really inefficient way to heat. i'd rather load my stoves 3 times a day and be warm than 1 time a day and hafta wear a sweater in the house. may just be his but there is sure alot of em for sale around here.

Hate to see people that have never owned an OWB hate on them. I love mine and it doesnt smoke any more than a wood stove . My chimney is 18' off the ground. And it's as warm as I want to make it in my poorly insulated house. I would hate to think that I am giving any wood burner a bad name.
crazy talk... toeach there own..

Hate to see people that have never owned an OWB hate on them. I love mine and it doesnt smoke any more than a wood stove . My chimney is 18' off the ground. And it's as warm as I want to make it in my poorly insulated house. I would hate to think that I am giving any wood burner a bad name.
crazy talk... toeach there own..

I wish i could say the same for my Shaver,it does run clean about 70% of the time,but when its smoking,watch out!Luckily for me,the prevailing wind blows it east 95% of the time where there isnt a home for a few miles.

HD I agree

My CB5036 burns pretty clean. Most smoke is dissipated within 100' of stack. My stack is about 13' off of the ground. Closest house is just over 500' away and he tells me he has never smelled my OWB. When I am outside in my own yard I can smell it less than 1/3 the time. The key is to burn seasoned hardwoods. I think the heat lock rear baffle causes a lot of the smoke to burn in the secondary combustion area. During the off part of the cycle I cannot even tell if it's running. From my experience I have found my OWB to smoke much less than expected.:blob2:

They are dirty/hungry smoke dragons. I'd be pissed if one was within 500' of me. In fact I wouldn't lose any sleep if it became the norm for them to be banned. In general I think they give wood burners a bad name...

Why not tell us how you really feel?:hmm3grin2orange:

The guy directly across the street from me has an OWB (heatmor??). Prevailing westerly winds, 90% of the time go from his property to mine. Occasionally we get smoky and smell a sooty burn but other than that no problems. His stack is one pipe length.

I think a big part is what you burn. I see his wood pile, dry clean wood and at his place there are always people home (she runs a small day care) so I think their OWB is always running and not sitting cold.

His house OWB is about 175-200' from my front door.

JMHO

Last edited:
A little off thread, but I noticed you have a Nashua stove, woodguy. I've heated with mine for over 20 years: great stove. I just got an OWB this fall, and I think I like it, but I still fire up the old Nashua sometimes. Nothing like backing up to a hot stove on a cold day:blob2:

The guy directly across the street from me has an OWB (heatmor??). Prevailing westerly winds, 90% of the time go from his property to mine. Occasionally we get smoky and smell a sooty burn but other than that no problems. His stack is one pipe length.

I think a big part is what you burn. I see his wood pile, dry clean wood and at his place there are always people home (she runs a small day care) so I think their OWB is always running and not sitting cold.

His house OWB is about 175-200' from my front door.

JMHO

You hit the nail on the head with that statement "dry clean wood". Most sellers will tell you that you can burn anything you want because it is outside and therefore safe to do so. What some do not tell you (unless you ask) is what is best to burn. Dry wood, period. I did not get all of my wood done for this year early enough to let it dry and am now having to mix dry and somewhat wet together to help keep the smoke down. I also try to only load it in the dark and already in full burn as this is when it will smoke the most and to dry the newly added wood a bit faster. I will run the furnace in the shop to bring the water temp down a little lower than a normal cycle so the coals will be good and hot before I add wood.

When my OWB is burning during the day it smokes no more than the neighbors indoor wood stove.

IMO, few people put thought into the consideration of their neighbors when it comes to their OWB. Yes, some do smoke more than others, but I do not want mine to look like one of those and I have spoken to the neighbors about mine and they tell me they never notice any smoke.

Here is mine after start up before there is a hot fire going, taken less than 5 minutes ago.

boilerburning.jpg

Last edited:
Back