Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I did. It relieves the hinge quite a bit. An old busheler named Bob Nill showed me that.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll bet it has some nice fluid movement that way. Just watched Doug and Tammy. Another nice video. I just can't get enough of killing trees. Thanks.

Hello Greenwedge. I worked with a Bob Nill in Alaska. If you are around him ask him if he worked up there. May be the same one I knew.

I'm sure it's the same one. That's were I worked with him also. Short guy, smokes camel straights, runs Husqvarna's, Drives Chevy's, and claims to be in the top ten of the top ten percent. LOL. There can't be two of him! He lives here in my home town now, and I never see him. I saw more of him when I was tramp logging.

here's my crapola stump from this morning, face came out nicely but shoulda bored into the face (like we talked about here 2 days ago) as it had some decent lean, it probably would've been a better stump if it didn't take off like an F-18 before i finished my back cut

IMG_1184.jpg

came out of the woods pretty good and in one peice, hooked to the snaggin wagon

IMG_1187.jpg

here's my crapola stump from this morning, face came out nicely but shoulda bored into the face (like we talked about here 2 days ago) as it had some decent lean, it probably would've been a better stump if it didn't take off like an F-18 before i finished my back cut

Always good thing to take off as soon as it goes. you can't really chance anything while it's already moving.

And now you've got a new ax too.

Hey nice pics Joe!

I don't want to drag the thread too far back, but I just wanted to show some pics of White Pine blister rust because it came up earlier.

I'm working on four different things on an 80 acre reforestation plot. There are white pine, red spruce, and black cherry planted in alternating rows. The first problem being the rust, second- some beetle kill, third- tent caterpillers, and fourth- boxelder removal. Here are some pics of the rust and some early beetle shots. I'm going through about 5-6k of white pine trimming the bottom two layers of branches in hopes of getting some air flow. The fungus likes moist stagnant air. The other three problems I take care of as I go. This is hell on the knees. I am getting paid by the hour though and the weather has been decent.

These are the butts of two 15 footers. Without getting right under the tree there was no way of knowing it was this bad. From a distance they looked perfectly healthy.
attachment.php

Blister on a branch with some pustules.
attachment.php

Girdiling of the main stem.
attachment.php

Some beetles in action. There is some beetle kill and some in action. I'm not even sure what kind they are yet. They are black and about 1mm.
attachment.php

View attachment 184612View attachment 184613View attachment 184614View attachment 184615

Green wedging

Here is a cell phone flick I took of a drive. I was low banking, and in this particular area all of the timber leaned away from the road something fierce[video]http://youtu.be/ci70i14AazI[/video]!

Here is a cell phone flick I took of a drive. I was low banking, and in this particular area all of the timber leaned away from the road something fierce[video]http://youtu.be/ci70i14AazI[/video]!

Bleck, downhill yarding.

Looks like a decent patch to be in though!! :rock:

Pat, the first video link in your description is set to "private", thus potential buyers won't be able to view it.

Here is a cell phone flick I took of a drive. I was low banking, and in this particular area all of the timber leaned away from the road something fierce [video]http://youtube/ci70i14AazI[/video]!

Good old domino effect. Nice! Not so nice bucking it, but the sound!

Back