Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good show Bob! :rock:

Glad ya saved that diagram. . . I too use the triangle a fair amount. . . The coos, not so much.

In large timber I seem to have better luck with the Triangle than the T.

It's easier, for me anyhow, to keep all the cuts lined up right with the Triangle when I can't see both sides of the tree at once. Watch the wind when you're using it, there's lots of opportunity to get hung up. Don't ask me how I know.;)

If you get up this way we'll hijack an old cable skidder, let the line out with a pair of tongs on it, drive up to Whitefish, and go trolling for hippies :rock:

Ain't that the truth...We salvaged the Brush Creek Fire, up by Tally Lake. Whitefish was the closest town to camp.....#### that place. Lots of trustafarians in Beamers......

maybe "human" was there, dude I met at a bar in Caspar, CA, drove his mom's handmedown mercedes.

Ain't that the truth...We salvaged the Brush Creek Fire, up by Tally Lake. Whitefish was the closest town to camp.....#### that place. Lots of trustafarians in Beamers......

Sorry I missed you at camp again Sam. . . The next two weeks are gonna be crazy for me. :dizzy:

I have the sign of my Clan.

When you a head leaner, go halfway in, that will help bend the fiber and it won't pull as much. Cutting steeper helps that as well.

Thats was I was thinking too. Get that damn compression wood out of there. Open er up for surgery.

I've read tales of timber pirates, back in the day, when it was a free for all. Whoever could get there first and no law to interfere. Fights breakin out, rigged timber sales, accidently cutting into the next guy's 40. Musta been a helluva a lot of fun. That and the after party. Around here its was Hurley, Hayward, or Hell.

I've become more and more of a fan of the triangle.

Last edited:
No worries, we were to tired and dirty to be entertaining any guests, lol

LOL

Well then, it worked out. :D

I've been calling my butt off in the last week or so trying to get young Jameson a falling gig up here. Thought I had him hooked up today for sure!

Jameson called the dude, and mentioned Forestry School. . . That ended the conversation I guess. Seems the ol boy's been burnt in the past hiring dudes with degrees. :msp_confused:

Guy lost his two cutters to Helo jobs in ID, so he doesn't have anyone to tip wood or run his stroker.

I feel like saying to hell with the shop and going into the woods again, even if it's just this one sale. I can almost taste it. :drool:

I can pick up a Chehalis paper and see if there's any rigging rat jobs advertised. Maybe those Rygaards need somebody? :msp_rolleyes:

Logging has been occurring on every little piece of property that had trees (it seems) but heard that Weyco quit taking export logs so that may end.

LOL

Jameson called the dude, and mentioned Forestry School. . . That ended the conversation I guess. Seems the ol boy's been burnt in the past hiring dudes with degrees. :msp_confused:

I feel like saying to hell with the shop and going into the woods again, even if it's just this one sale. I can almost taste it. :drool:

Yup...most owners aren't really interested in how much education their fallers have. What they're interested in is good work...and a lot of it. Jameson might want to soft pedal the school thing until he gets his foot in the door. Later on, after they see he can cut, he might bring it up and maybe it would open up new responsibilities and opportunities for him.

Nate, you got the LOGGER DISEASE. There's no cure for it, either. If that guy is behind, see if you can work weekends for him. That might help the symptoms a little. :hmm3grin2orange:

Try this for heavy head leaners. I've used the triangle cut fairly often and it seems to work out pretty good. I tend to cut a little deeper face than shown in the picture, depending on the amount of lean, but that's just me.

It's called the Coos Bay cut...many thanks to Gas71 for the diagram.

hpqscan0001.jpg

nice, thanks man, there's nooo way I would be able to keep my cuts straight trying to do that T cut but the triangle looks doable

I can pick up a Chehalis paper and see if there's any rigging rat jobs advertised. Maybe those Rygaards need somebody? :msp_rolleyes:

Logging has been occurring on every little piece of property that had trees (it seems) but heard that Weyco quit taking export logs so that may end.

I think he's gonna just concentrate on school.

Word tell, Idaho's gonna blow up this summer though. . . Lots of sticks gonna be hitting the ground.

nice, thanks man, there's nooo way I would be able to keep my cuts straight trying to do that T cut but the triangle looks doable

If I worked at the T more I might have better luck with it but the Triangle seems to work just fine.

On the T I always had trouble getting my side notches even so that the holding wood was consistent all the way through. I'd peck away at it and peck away at it and waste a lot more time than the tree was really worth. The Triangle just seemed to be easier and faster.

LOL...you could probably get a pretty good brawl started 'mongst a bunch of fallers about which way is really best. I just use what works best for me.

Yup...most owners aren't really interested in how much education their fallers have. What they're interested in is good work...and a lot of it. Jameson might want to soft pedal the school thing until he gets his foot in the door. Later on, after they see he can cut, he might bring it up and maybe it would open up new responsibilities and opportunities for him.

Nate, you got the LOGGER DISEASE. There's no cure for it, either. If that guy is behind, see if you can work weekends for him. That might help the symptoms a little. :hmm3grin2orange:

I talked with this particular logger, Pat, for quite a while on the phone. He's a good guy by what I could gather. . . Lots of common sense.

He shut the sale down last fall, and it was sketchy whether or not he'd start up again. His go-to cutters ended up taking other gigs trampin' around. Now they have a good job falling under a K-Max in ID. One of them is very well known around here for his cutting skill, the other guy I grew up with, and didn't even realize he was cutting until last week. Last I saw him, he was doing carpentry next to our framing gig.

Pat told me he thought they would wait for him to start up again, and you could tell he's frustrated. At the end of last week he wasn't even sure if he'd log anymore.

He had a sale under contract with PC, and wanted them to cut him a break to help offset fuel going through the roof. I guess they played ball, cause he's ready to go.

He asked me point blank on the phone, "Can this Jameson guy cut?" I said Jameson wasn't an old hand being only 26 or so, but he did okay from what I had seen -- and would be reliable. I mentioned he just finished school, and he said, "I need someone who won't stand there over analyzing each tree, and will get wood on the ground." I think that may have been a nod to his past experiences with college forestry grads.

You're clearly not helping me fight my addiction Bob. :hmm3grin2orange:

You're clearly not helping me fight my addiction Bob. :hmm3grin2orange:

You know you won't be happy until you're gazing back over a bunch of trees that you helped to find a new horizontal orientation.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back