Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full wraps for the 2100/1 aren't that hard t get and they pretty reasonable as is the clutch side falling dawg. The "newer" front mount (spring versus rubber) is better on the 288 and 2100/1 for pulling bigger bars imo

I have OEM full wraps for my 288 and 2100. They're a bit rough, but serviceable. Do you mean the spring mount in front of the case.....attached to the dawg? My saws have those.

Well, I wouldn't say 'steal' with 6 hours of TIG'n mag. :msp_scared:

:msp_biggrin:

Still sounds like a purdy good deal fer such a large PH!

Less than an hour with with the tig, took a while because I had to build it up slow to manage heat. Rest of the time was cutting to shape since I had to redo the internal threads for the vibe mount right below the oil tank cap. It is a single thread that works out to about 6TPI and the hole needed one full circle of it. I cut it all freehand with a die grinder and dremel. It ain't perfect, but it holds the vibe mount thingy.

All told I'm less than $200.00 in parts and maybe 8 hours total time over several evenings, so I did alright. Sure a hoot running the 36" bar on it in pine and I needed every inch of it for the tree in the pic.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

Well machine is still down and saws number 1 &2 are down. Not in the mood to run the back up, back up saw so I'm gettin stuff done around the house that I've been putting off for weeks. Like the foot of grass in the yard.

Anyway, Just a little reminder to keep yer eyes open when you are trying crazy crap. 98% of the time when I drive a tree it goes well. The backcut on the maple was the throttle to the handle kind and I got the hell away from the stump quick and saw the kerf on that hickory open and then close as I looked over my shoulder. I really booked it then! She had enough backward momentum to chair. It was leanin hard at the maple and I was probably askin to much of it.

attachment.php

My old wedge belt was gettin tired.
attachment.php

The stump from my soft dutch video. Just to give a better view of what went on.
attachment.php

View attachment 295319
View attachment 295320
View attachment 295321

Last edited:
Hey Bitz ; I like your wedge belt. I see the kerf steps in that stump now. Looks good. I've got a 390 Husky on the way. I'm scheduled to fly to Southeast on Tuesday to cut an export blowdown patch for a friend. 36" reduced weight bar. 3/8 . 63 . Semi skip chisel 8 tooth. Getting a regular 36" Oregon also with it to have as a spare bar. . Really looking forward to it. . The unit will be shovel logged and it runs 3-4 layers deep so the Tramp will need to be on top of his game to live thru this one.

Hey Bitz ; I like your wedge belt. I see the kerf steps in that stump now. Looks good. I've got a 390 Husky on the way. I'm scheduled to fly to Southeast on Tuesday to cut an export blowdown patch for a friend. 36" reduced weight bar. 3/8 . 63 . Semi skip chisel 8 tooth. Getting a regular 36" Oregon also with it to have as a spare bar. . Really looking forward to it. . The unit will be shovel logged and it runs 3-4 layers deep so the Tramp will need to be on top of his game to live thru this one.

I did some blow down here 2 years ago. It was tornado damage and my god was it a MESS!. About 4 trees into it I topped one off and that thing stood right back up on me. It was hard to judge them as to where the weight was. Im sure you have far more experience than I do and dont need to hear this but BE CAREFUL

I spent six weeks bucking downed OG DF off a slide, I rate that right next to burnt timber. The logs wandered some, loads of binding cuts, the rootwads were insane.

tramp. who ya cutting for se? out of petersberg?

Tramp make sure you get the jungle muffler on that thing and the harder av springs! The stock av springs suck. The 390 is a great saw once you open er up a bit. For some reason I wasn't too thrilled with the 8 tooth on it. I am cutting hardwood though. Sounds like fun!

Yeah the ax holder is meant for a cordless drill. Just made it work for my liking. That strap will be handy to keep it on the belt when I'm fighting the brush. Just a carpenter pouch for the wedges. I'm a cheapskate that way, but I can also pack a spare chain in there. Its got 2 12"s and a 10" in it. Thanks!

tramp. who ya c
utting for se? out of petersberg?

No. Out of Hoonah.
Same guy I've done some cutting for in the past.

Bitzer ; Ordered it from Madsen's so hopefully it has the right mounts on it
At different times I've tried the 7 tooth sprocket on 288 s. They were OK with a 42" bar but for a 32 or 36 I like the 8 tooth best. Lots of limbs on Sitka spruce and Western Hemlock. I run 8 tooth on the 372W and 460 Stihl with 32" bars.
Just seems to vibrate less. And gives better chain speed. If I was running full comp I'de probably go with the 7 tooth. . I've seen your saw cut hardwood so it looks like you have the right combo.

Last edited:
Back