Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A truly ugly birch again. The tiny brush held it from rolling on the road.

IMG_5683.JPG

A truly ugly birch again. The tiny brush held it from rolling on the road.

[url]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-egQiNA6FKXk/UZTVzKJGlII/AAAAAAAABXo/[/url]
YOYevBg3vww/w735-h551-no/IMG_5683.JPG

Nice turn of the phrase. :msp_rolleyes:

Are you sure you have big enough dog on that saw. Sorry. I'm joking. Do you like them or do you find that they bind the chain??

Nice turn of the phrase. :msp_rolleyes:

Are you sure you have big enough dog on that saw. Sorry. I'm joking. Do you like them or do you find that they bind the chain??

That dog is crazy. I have it on loan. It does bind when cutting conventional face. And it loses few inches of that short bar. But it helps me leveling the back cut. Which I have had a trouble with lately. So, yes, I like it. But I don't think I'll keep it.

I used to run the Pro Safety 4 point dogs on my 044s + 064s . . They were just right. They stuck out forward just as far. But did not stick down as far below the bottom of the bar. As when I'm on the coast I really need good dogs on my saw I'vedone a lot of testing and have come to the conclusion that how far below the bottom of the bar the dog ends is the single biggest factor in whetherthe chain will bind and stop.
About 1.5" is ideal IMO+E. I would have to get a tape out to find out how many centimeters that is.
Those on your saw look like they are about 3" below.
I've been on springboards 25' up and have yet to find any good reason to have dogs that stick way down below the bar. And as anyone can tell that has spent much time up on boards, all you want that saw to do is cut. Not hang up.
I suppose they are useful when bucking a big log over a draw and you have to lay down to get the most reach. But that isn't all that often and regular falling dogs work fine.

Glen, all good information. The guy I borrowed the dogs from used them cutting ice with a 32'' bar. He says they work great, so I doubt he'd be pleased if I tinkered them a bit. I like the lever the bigger dogs provide, so I guess I need to get my own piece. Not available in Europe, but we do have metal shops around.

I used to run the Pro Safety 4 point dogs on my 044s + 064s . . They were just right. They stuck out forward just as far. But did not stick down as far below the bottom of the bar. As when I'm on the coast I really need good dogs on my saw I'vedone a lot of testing and have come to the conclusion that how far below the bottom of the bar the dog ends is the single biggest factor in whetherthe chain will bind and stop.
About 1.5" is ideal IMO+E. I would have to get a tape out to find out how many centimeters that is.
Those on your saw look like they are about 3" below.
I've been on springboards 25' up and have yet to find any good reason to have dogs that stick way down below the bar. And as anyone can tell that has spent much time up on boards, all you want that saw to do is cut. Not hang up.
I suppose they are useful when bucking a big log over a draw and you have to lay down to get the most reach. But that isn't all that often and regular falling dogs work fine.

That short side cover may make the distance appear longer, however that still hangs down there quite a bit.

tramp, it never occurred to me the dogs could make the chain bind. lately noticed chain will bind,
stop the chain , while cutting out the face notch. I blamed the chain, or me for takin the dg down to far. now you got me thinkin. got the factory large in &out dogs. any one expierement with shortenin um up?

i think pro saftey made those dogs to fit their full wrap handlebar is why they hang so low View attachment 295736

don't mind the extra sight lines ,those were a joke in a older thread ,as long as it fell in those sights were good :msp_biggrin:

i ended up going back to factory 3/4 wrap and 4 points on that saw ,5 points were too grabby on leverage for me

Last edited:
i think pro saftey made those dogs to fit their full wrap handlebar is why they hang so low View attachment 295736

don't mind the extra sight lines ,those were a joke in a older thread ,as long as it fell in those sights were good :msp_biggrin:

i ended up going back to factory 3/4 wrap and 4 points on that saw ,5 points were too grabby on leverage for me

hahahaha, yep, she's well within the reccomended sight lines. BTW what did you do with the body of the Pepsi guy who's truck you jacked LOL

hahahaha, yep, she's well within the reccomended sight lines. BTW what did you do with the body of the Pepsi guy who's truck you jacked LOL

that pepsi guy is ruining my body ,im starting to look like a pepsi bottle drinkin all that stuff

Sam,

Try Baileys. They sell the pro saftey 4pts. I would think they would ship to you. If not maybe one of our Cali members could box em up and ship em for ya... Just a thought.

Thinkin about gettin the old man a set of the 4pts for his 266 for fathers day. He only has the tiny factory inboard dog which sucks hind tit. If they don't fit his 266 then they should fit my 372 :msp_biggrin:

Wes

Here's some crappy and cobbled together iPhone video footage. No camera man gymnastics this time, so he managed to sneak in a color commentary. Thought I heard someone talking, but that damn wind... :laugh:

PPRI Elm - YouTube
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q299cvFKrcw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing wrong with that work. Now, get rid of that itty-bitty hatchet and get yourself a real axe. :msp_biggrin:

Now Bob, it's got a 5lb head on it. Oughta count for something, lol. I never liked driving wedges with long-handled axes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back