Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot this vid a couple weeks ago. Shows me making a mistake...Yeah! Short drags...unfinished cut on a pine causes it to bust the stump. I was cutting by myself on a weekend and this pine was back leaning and was going to pinch my bar or hang up so I knocked it down with a good oak. The oak was heavy topped heading towards the left with a good chance to miss the pine. Thanks for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srfXWALWlY4

TC, I am glad to hear that for you this is a "bad scenario." For me, this is just a day with a chainsaw in my hands! I'da just re-faced that pine (looked to be about 8" on the video) a little higher on the trunk. You could also have called jrcat and asked him to give it a little push for ya (if I remember, he's basically you + me combined). Good aim with the oak, though

If you learned to cut more like me, you'd have more practice in this sort of scenario. I get #### stuck/hung/pinched more than I care to admit. I have that winch for a reason!

Two serious things. 1) If you opened up your faces just a little, trees like that would be much less likely to hang like that. This is definitely dirt track criticism of Jack Rousch, so take it for what it's worth, but of the pro-faller's video's ive watched, you consistently make the skinniest faces

2) You and Bitz both know how to fall a tree. With him and his 390, it is about a 50 second proposition. Yours are 10 times longer, not because of your skills, but that 460 is not getting through the wood. You get paid to produce, it might be time to invest in something that will speed your production.

Please take this as respectfully as I intended it,
Jon

2) You and Bitz both know how to fall a tree. With him and his 390, it is about a 50 second proposition. Yours are 10 times longer, not because of your skills, but that 460 is not getting through the wood. You get paid to produce, it might be time to invest in something that will speed your production.

LOL!....I know...I almost didn't post the vid due to how slow I got through the tree. I am fix'n to hit my boss up for an 066...either he just buy one or help me buy one. I want to make more vids but the slowness is pretty embarrassing for me.

That little pine, it was gonna lean back up the hill on me and even though the vid doesn;t show it, all that timber had to be cabled out, and I didn't want to stick my saw...but damn I didn't know I wasn't far enough through it :bang:

TC, I am glad to hear that for you this is a "bad scenario." For me, this is just a day with a chainsaw in my hands! I'da just re-faced that pine (looked to be about 8" on the video) a little higher on the trunk. You could also have called jrcat and asked him to give it a little push for ya (if I remember, he's basically you + me combined). Good aim with the oak, though

If you learned to cut more like me, you'd have more practice in this sort of scenario. I get #### stuck/hung/pinched more than I care to admit. I have that winch for a reason!

Two serious things. 1) If you opened up your faces just a little, trees like that would be much less likely to hang like that. This is definitely dirt track criticism of Jack Rousch, so take it for what it's worth, but of the pro-faller's video's ive watched, you consistently make the skinniest faces

Please take this as respectfully as I intended it,
Jon

I've seen worse cuts.

LOL!....I know...I almost didn't post the vid due to how slow I got through the tree. I am fix'n to hit my boss up for an 066...either he just buy one or help me buy one. I want to make more vids but the slowness is pretty embarrassing for me.

That little pine, it was gonna lean back up the hill on me and even though the vid doesn;t show it, all that timber had to be cabled out, and I didn't want to stick my saw...but damn I didn't know I wasn't far enough through it :bang:

Crap happens man. I noticed you do most of your cutting standing up it seems. Or its just the camera angle. Even as big as I am I get right down on my knees when Im cutting if I have to to mkae sure my cuts are matched up and to get a better view. Maybe I'm just nuts though and I do stand to be corrected lol.

An after thought.... even when Im on my knees cutting I can still get my big arse up in a hurry and high tail it outta there.

TC's your rakers are to low for that little saw, you have to keep rpm up to get chain speed. With rakers to low, its hard on crank seals and bearings and you, that has to drive you crazy, saw grabbing like that. With the low rakers, file cutters at 40 degree's, it wouldn't grab as bad.

Crap happens man. I noticed you do most of your cutting standing up it seems. Or its just the camera angle. Even as big as I am I get right down on my knees when Im cutting if I have to to mkae sure my cuts are matched up and to get a better view. Maybe I'm just nuts though and I do stand to be corrected lol.

Yeah I always squat/stand...I anchor my left elbow up from my knee and my other elbow in about the same position on the other leg. IDK it's just where I line my cuts up I guess. I never take a knee...just doesn't feel right. LOL...I am pretty flexible...I can squat on one foot and put the other boot behind my head! Seriously, I can!...even at 39 3/4 yrs. old! :hmm3grin2orange:

TC's your rakers are to low for that little saw, you have to keep rpm up to get chain speed. With rakers to low, its hard on crank seals and bearings and you, that has to drive you crazy, saw grabbing like that. With the low rakers, file cutters at 40 degree's, it wouldn't grab as bad.

Yep, I messed up on knocking them drags down. I switched to a full comp since that vid and have had a little better results as far as not sticking. It does drive me crazy...

Always good to hear from ya Duane! :msp_thumbup: Hope all is well! Thanks

I used a 034 Super for a felling saw many yrs, drop a Oak like that in about a minute. You don't need a 660 to fell timber this size.

TC look at the 395 or 3120 lol or even if ya want a real saw a 2101 :hmm3grin2orange:

cutting on yer knees is cool unless your old and slow like me lol......then actually being on my feet kinda makes me feel safer :hmm3grin2orange:

Shot this vid a couple weeks ago. Shows me making a mistake...Yeah! Short drags...unfinished cut on a pine causes it to bust the stump. I was cutting by myself on a weekend and this pine was back leaning and was going to pinch my bar or hang up so I knocked it down with a good oak. The oak was heavy topped heading towards the left with a good chance to miss the pine. Thanks for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srfXWALWlY4

Unfinished cutting, yea a big kerf in the face....

WHY?? I'm not trying to antagonize but I just don't really understand why people cut like that.

I used a 034 Super for a felling saw many yrs, drop a Oak like that in about a minute. You don't need a 660 to fell timber this size.

I think a 046 is perfect for the size trees in TC's videos, the one in his hands just looks to be low on compression. New rings (and piston if needed) and get rid of the base gasket (squish allowing) and it might be a whole new animal for $50 in parts and couple hours of work

I think a 046 is perfect for the size trees in TC's videos, the one in his hands just looks to be low on compression. New rings (and piston if needed) and get rid of the base gasket (squish allowing) and it might be a whole new animal for $50 in parts and couple hours of work

I love my 372xp its a good all around saw. I want to send it to mastermind and have him work his voodoo on it. That and my 365 lol:crazy1:

Latest posts

Back